News Izak Rankine, Gold coast holding Rankine to Ransom- #FreeIzak

What will be the trade with the Suns? (Crows posters only, NO opposition supporters)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
If the situation was reversed, I'd be perfectly happy for our club to do the same
I agree. Our player development program is proven and the AFC can afford to take occasional risks with our list to find that elusive POD. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But GC are a complete sh!tstorm. They can't get the basics right, so risk taking is the last thing they should be doing,

Bonkers000

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is not comparing apples with apples.

Both Jones and McHenry have played SANFL/AFL games in their first season. They have great potential, have shown it and earned their extensions. Their value remains stable. Both will probably play 200 games for the AFC.

As for Luko and King, both have played AFL level games and genuinely earned the right to a contract extension, but haven't signed one. These two guys are either a) holding out for more money, or b) leaving GC at the first given opportunity.

Rankine on the other hand. He has played no games since the JLT, so his potential has amounted to absolutely nothing so far. Injured for nearly an entire season, questions would/should be raised about the ability of his body to stand up to the rigors of the game. Hence his value and the reasoning for the GC extension, is very questionable. You don't pay people on potential, but that is exactly what GC are doing.
It’s absolutely apples and apples. It’s not like he hasn’t been playing because he’s proven not good enough. He’s had an injury ffs. It in no way can possibly determine whether he will become an elite player in the future.

If the first 6 months a players career can determine what their whole career will turn out to be, then list management would be a s**t load easier.

No matter which way you look at it, I guarantee Gold Coast aren't letting him (or luko) go for anything less than what they paid for him for as long as he is in contract. Even out of contract, it won’t be cheap.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
I disagree.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the signing smacks of desperation from GC. Rankine has not set the world ablaze since he went up there. I think it's fair to argue that his trade value has diminished since the draft.

GC extended his contract on potential, not output, which is a dangerous thing to do. If he doesn't meet that expectation and he walks away from GC, then his further diminished trade value will be a bargain for us.
I think it smacks of a kid enjoying the Gold Coast lifestyle and very happy with the way GCS are treating him, being up there with SA people he was previously familiar with like Jez McLennan and Charlie Ballard would help. Also living with another indigenous lad SA Sean Lemmens who's familiar with the GCS's system and his partner who just happens to be Izak's cousin would no doubt have helped settling in.

Last edited:

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm still of the opinion Rozee will have a more productive career than Rankine, my opinion has always been temperament based.
Tend to agree , Rozee has all the tricks and physical gifts that few other players in the competition have .
A tonne of upside to grow into over the next 3-4 years . He is a very special talent .

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it smacks of a kid enjoying the Gold Coast lifestyle and very happy with the way GCS are treating him, being up there with SA people he was previously familiar with like Jez McLennan and Charlie Ballard would help. Also living with another indigenous lad SA Sean Lemmens who's familiar with the GCS's system and his partner who just happens to be Izak's cousin would no doubt have helped settling in.
Yeah it certainly looks that way..things change and he has bought in

mickfaxis

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
They have no chance of number 1 pick compo anyway tbh. Afl knows they need players aged 24 to 28 to steady the ship. They likely have pick 1 and we will likely have pick 2. If GC were smart they would trade pick 1 to us for a whole raft of players to improve them instantly. Players of the like of Greenwood, Gibbs, Knight, Atkins, Jenkins, Douglas, Mackay are all options. They would improve training standards and mentor some of these young lads. Would be a win win for both clubs. Afl will likely give GC a 2nd round compo pick at best that must be used on an experienced player. I would also increase gc salary cap for 3 years.

If Gold Coast were stupid enough to consider a deal that would include 2 or 3 of any combination of the players mentioned above for pick 1 then we'd jump at it. However, unless we offer the Crouch brothers and Brodie Smith, pick 1 isn't going anywhere.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Gold Coast were stupid enough to consider a deal that would include 2 or 3 of any combination of the players mentioned above for pick 1 then we'd jump at it. However, unless we offer the Crouch brothers and Brodie Smith, pick 1 isn't going anywhere.
Yeah would have to involve pick 20 or I was thinking maybe Laird. I know we we have to give up something to get something. A deal could be done. We need gun high end youth and they need experience. Lets talk Gold Coast. A win win could be done.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Most of their fan base is completely oblivious. They've taken some s**t from Port supporters at work, their a bit pissed off that Gibbs isn't getting a game - but they're not obsessives on BigFooty. One good win and 95% of the fan base will feel the same level of satisfaction as they felt following the GWS win.
You should have a read of the facebook comments sections because you're a fair way off the pulse

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree. Our player development program is proven and the AFC can afford to take occasional risks with our list to find that elusive POD. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But GC are a complete sh!tstorm. They can't get the basics right, so risk taking is the last thing they should be doing,
Is it though? Or do we just think it is because we’re supporters.

What’s the measure? How many of the following have we produced in the last 10 years:

Brownlow Medalists
AA
Rising star winners

But how do we really stack up against other clubs?

Of course we produce AFL players for our side, but no premierships, so really how good are they?

Our last 2 x 200 game players? Not pretty

Is it though? Or do we just think it is because we’re supporters.

What’s the measure? How many of the following have we produced in the last 10 years:

Brownlow Medalists
AA
Rising star winners

But how do we really stack up against other clubs?

Of course we produce AFL players for our side, but no premierships, so really how good are they?

Our last 2 x 200 game players? Not pretty

The fact that draft sanctions cost us a premiership and not resigned us to mid table hell is actually a sign that we're good developers.

Because being practically locked out of trading/drafting without having to give up ground to do so for two years means you need everything to be perfect to climb your way out and not be stuck in the near future.

(Or that we lucked out and GWS/GC are two different types of messes, and of course there is potential that players aren't as important to premierships as it is made out).

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The fact that draft sanctions cost us a premiership and not resigned us to mid table hell is actually a sign that we're good developers.

Because being practically locked out of trading/drafting without having to give up ground to do so for two years means you need everything to be perfect to climb your way out and not be stuck in the near future.

(Or that we lucked out and GWS/GC are two different types of messes, and of course there is potential that players aren't as important to premierships as it is made out).
That’s 4 players - what about the rest?

That’s 4 players - what about the rest?

4 players can quite easily be the difference between a dynasty and a team stuck in the middle table with change, and one we've now finally run out of road with.

AAs - didn't we spend close to 3 years having the most out of any club?

Rising stars - similar, we had what one winner and 2 runner ups in a decade?

We've had our issues, development hasn't been it.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
4 players can quite easily be the difference between a dynasty and a team stuck in the middle table with change, and one we've now finally run out of road with.
I’m talking about player development and you’re isolating 4 lost players?

What about all the other players through our club?

How many AA?

I’m talking about player development and you’re isolating 4 lost players?

What about all the other players through our club?

How many AA?

And they aren't related? You mentioned premierships after all. That was the difference between it and not.

What about them? They were playing catch up from the get go to get parity to some horrible management of our off-field. They did well to even get close and ignore the piper for as long as they did.

If you want to go through AAs, sure. We had 2 years of 5-6 in the best 44 which were league bests (with 3 in the best 22). Dropped in 2018 (and will further in 2019) but that is to be expected.

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
This post makes too much sense to be on big footy. Pull your head in Bicks, you are putting the rest of us to shame

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Also Izak announces it to the playing group
No doubt some of the people on this board's reaction will be "He would say that though wouldn't he"........Still.

It was clear months ago Izak was enjoying it up there by his comments but the reaction on this board was "He would say that though wouldn't he".....

Luko however has not been so adamant he is enjoying it so much.

No doubt some of the people on this board's reaction will be "He would say that though wouldn't he"........Still.

It was clear months ago Izak was enjoying it up there by his comments but the reaction on this board was "He would say that though wouldn't he".....

Yeah. While some may have worried about Izak, it was always clear to me he was quite independant and loves being out on his own in the coast. Loves it there. Has connections with the indigineous boys. You could tell right away he was committed. It's always hard to hear from opposition supporters when you wish it wasn't the case.

I can't get a read on Luko. He is more quieter than Izak, so really hard to say. Maybe just adjustment issues, but time will tell.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
He’d be worth Pick 19.

Honest question but do you really think Greenwood would generate a pick 19 back as a 27 year old?

Decent midfielders at 27 or older aren't worth that much these days on the open market. They are a dime a dozen.

I'd be very surprised if he netted anything more than a mid to late second rounder especially if he is actually requesting a trade to add to it.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Lukosius' girlfriend still lives in Adelaide and not all parents are happy to let 17/18 year old daughters head off interstate with their boyfriends. If GC want to retain him, then they probably need to strategise how they can get her up there on a very regular basis

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Honest question but do you really think Greenwood would generate a pick 19 back as a 27 year old?

Decent midfielders at 27 or older aren't worth that much these days on the open market. They are a dime a dozen.

I'd be very surprised if he netted anything more than a mid to late second rounder especially if he is actually requesting a trade to add to it.
To Gold Coast?..yes as they generally have to pay a premium just to get players up there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back