Lol Holden Special Vehicles advertising Camaro's - funny

Remove this Banner Ad

There's been a few posts pointing out that HSV has been dealing in imported cars for some time. So what? How is that a counter argument to what is merely my amusement?

Am I not allowed to laugh at HSV advertising a yank car as part of it's stable?

There's been a few posts pointing out that HSV has been dealing in imported cars for some time. So what? How is that a counter argument to what is merely my amusement?

Am I not allowed to laugh at HSV advertising a yank car as part of it's stable?

Sure man, laugh all you like.

Holden and Ford were Yank all the time anyway. some good advertising to say they were Aussie.
Making some muscle cars here and being part of Aus culture helped too.
Same with Chrysler, as long as they lasted.

Sure man, laugh all you like.

Holden and Ford were Yank all the time anyway. some good advertising to say they were Aussie.
Making some muscle cars here and being part of Aus culture helped too.
Same with Chrysler, as long as they lasted.

That's not entirely true, Ford Australia, Valiant and GM Holden developed, designed and produced cars on home soil all the way from the 50's to early 90's. Yes they were under parent companies from the states but they were still their own brand.

Links to yank companies but not yank cars.

That's not entirely true, Ford Australia, Valiant and GM Holden developed, designed and produced cars on home soil all the way from the 50's to early 90's. Yes they were under parent companies from the states but they were still their own brand.

Wasn’t the original Commodore just a tweaked German car?

And I believe you think of Chrysler, not Valiant.

Wasn’t the original Commodore just a tweaked German car?

And I believe you think of Chrysler, not Valiant.

Valiant was an Australian company under the Chrylser umbrella much like Holden under GM. And yes the first VB was based on the Opel, much like the Ford Laser and mazda 323, Patrol and Maverick - the list goes on. Car makers have been copying and in agreement with each other since day dot to re badge each others for their own local market.

Valiant was an Australian company under the Chrylser umbrella much like Holden under GM. And yes the first VB was based on the Opel, much like the Ford Laser and mazda 323, Patrol and Maverick - the list goes on. Car makers have been copying and in agreement with each other since day dot to re badge each others for their own local market.
I always thought that Valiant was just a model name, like Ford Falcon.
Certainly when googling the results are invariably “Chrysler Valiant”.

I always thought that Valiant was just a model name, like Ford Falcon.
Certainly when googling the results are invariably “Chrysler Valiant”.

Here's a decent read of the Australian history of Chrysler Valiant, there were variants of the Valiant like the Pacer, Regal, Centura and Chargers for example. Much like GM's Holdens - Torana's, Kingswoods etc.

All Australian made cars by an Australian manufacturer under a parent company.

In America it was Plymouth Valiant.
They sold the Valiant under their Plymouth division there.

The first Commodore which was not developed from a German Opel platform was the VE, but by then it was too late, car buying tastes had changed, and GM could not make any money, oh well, thanks for the memories. Ford and Chrysler too

For such a small country Aus made some nice rides.
But when the order comes from Detroit to close.... its gone.

btw, Holdens and Ford were assembled in South Africa too.
Holdens were badged as Chevrolets and Holdens there.
Falcon GT's were badged Fairmont GT. collectable.

Holden exported around the pacific in the 50's and 60's and 70's all the rhd nations.

Many models had a remarkable resemblance to their US cousins, the Falcon comes to mind - thats not to underestimate our local input.

In an earlier life in Adelaide Chrysler was my biggest customer, thats who I invoiced, they made Valiants, gave me a great deal on a 318 Regal, ex their development division, blew away 351 Falcons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many models had a remarkable resemblance to their US cousins, the Falcon comes to mind - thats not to underestimate our local input.

The resemblance is a common thing worldwide among car manufactures, even rebadging. For example Holden used to export Commodores to the states and they were rebadged as a Pontiac G8, same as Lasers were rebadged 323's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back