Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH I don't care whether he comes from a basketball background, the question is can he play?

If he's coming on the cheap then I won't complain, but at the end of the day he doesn't excel in either end of the ground.

He averages 16/17 touches and <1 goal per game.
He’s got good clutch moments and is good defensively. Tackles well and can intercept. He’ll be handy at worst.

TBH I don't care whether he comes from a basketball background, the question is can he play?

If he's coming on the cheap then I won't complain, but at the end of the day he doesn't excel in either end of the ground.

If I had to guess then the basketball background matters a whole lot to Clarko. Basketball players are highly skilled in positioning. They know how to but on blocks (set screens) have great hand / eye coordination. In regards to Greenwood though he played underage footy at a high level before he had college scouts come calling for basketball. He’s not new to the game but it’s just the fact he had a choice in both.

The moment Adelaide start dealing on Greenwood, he'll all of a sudden become a "a rare combination of a line breaking, inside Bull who wins his own footy and then can exit stoppages with pace and find the goals with ease. Can play forward where he regularly takes contested marks while being good below his knees, and can win games off his own boot. Equally comfortable sitting across half-back where his skill as an intercept marking rebound running defender who can pay tall or short, enables him to turn the tide of games"

Happy if he comes cheap. ;)

Last edited:

I think this is mainly due to him struggling to find a place in Adelaide's midfield with Sloane and 2 x Crouch as well as CEY on occasion. For this reason Hawthorn have likely identified him as a value pick-up as it will be very hard for Adelaide to demand much for him.

Say we are able to land Coniglio, then we will have:

Mitchell
Jaeger
Coniglio
Shiels
Worpel
Wingard

Which is a much better, and deeper, midfield than Adelaide's.

If I had to guess then the basketball background matters a whole lot to Clarko. Basketball players are highly skilled in positioning. They know how to but on blocks (set screens) have great hand / eye coordination. In regards to Greenwood though he played underage footy at a high level before he had college scouts come calling for basketball. He’s not new to the game but it’s just the fact he had a choice in both.

Yeah I'm aware of that, the commentators would harp on about it continuously when he started playing. He's just not a consistent quality player IMO.

I wouldn't complain if it was on the cheap though.

What makes me just as happy is the salty sooks in this tweet bitching over another potential hawk's recruit.
Very funny.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which is exactly why the journalist went with Hawthorn as the headline over the other clubs expressing interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone convince me on this.. seems like another one paced midfielder that isn’t all that young and doesn’t look to offer much more than James Cousins. He can’t get a regular game at Adelaide and with Mitchell returning- there’s one less spot in the side for a mid, I just can’t really see who he forces out of our best 22 atm..

Last edited:
Would be like going shopping for a Ferrari but bringing home a Kia

People said similar stuff the off-season we only ended up with Impey. 18 months later that looks a lot better than a Kia. Sometimes when we show a lot of interest in a player it’s for very good reason.

Someone convince me on this.. seems like another one paced midfielder that isn’t all that young and doesn’t look to offer much more than James Cousins. He can’t get a regular game at Adelaide and if we land Cogs there’s one less spot in the side for a mid, I just can’t really see who he forces out of our best 22 atm
He's got great goal sense.
Clarko will use him as a forward that rolls into the mid. Not as a mid that rolls into the forward.

If Greenwood is a free hit you do it every day of the week.

We are not blessed with depth, and he adds to that while also being versatile.

Greenwood is the perfect player to have when you are rebuilding. Ultimate team player, tough as nails and I'd imagine the ultimate professional. A bit of Richie Vandenberg but able to impact forward for mine.

I feel some of the Conilgio talk is going quiet, and perhaps others have legitimately entered the race there.

If we pick up Greenwod it may be about the now, with other recruits in. However, it could also mean we are going to blood more youth and he is exactly what our list is missing, and a younger 22 needs. A bit of an enforcer, reckless attack at the footy style mid/forward. He would take the pressure off Mitchell and O'Meara.

Wash your mouth out please, imagine the feeling on missing Coniglio but landing Greenwood, opposition fans would be in delirium.
I wouldn’t really blame them. The carry on by some one-eyed posters around here, if I was a supporter of another team I’d be sticking the boot in too. Taking emotion and hawthorn coloured glasses off there’s a very good chance of no Cogs and bringing Greenwood in I’d think.

Someone convince me on this.. seems like another one paced midfielder that isn’t all that young and doesn’t look to offer much more than James Cousins. He can’t get a regular game at Adelaide and with Mitchell returning- there’s one less spot in the side for a mid, I just can’t really see who he forces out of our best 22 atm..

Taller, bigger bodied, wins more contested ball, more athletic. When Mitchell gets back I think it's going to be mighty hard for Cousins to get a gig in the seniors. Hope I'm wrong but I think Cousins could be another case of too good for the VFL but not quite up to the AFL.

Don't mind us going for Greenwood, but I think this only happens if Clarko/GW expect us to be top four next year- that is to say I think if it goes through, it will be one of the last deals of the trade period. I'd rather go for a younger player from another club though- if we can get Bonar from GWS I'd rather take him than Greenwood.

Someone convince me on this.. seems like another one paced midfielder that isn’t all that young and doesn’t look to offer much more than James Cousins. He can’t get a regular game at Adelaide and with Mitchell returning- there’s one less spot in the side for a mid. I just can’t really see who he forces out of our best 22 atm..

Howe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back