List Mgmt. Priority pick

Should PP’s be given to:

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Atm 24/51 would like CFC to receive a PP, interesting results. To guess, I had expected around 85% plus, would support us asking for a PP.. wrong again!

We are currently sitting on a 3 - 12 record, but that doesn't tell you 4 kicks are the difference between that and a 7-8 record having us within mathematical reach of finals.

We are not far off getting back into the mix, the coaching selection and another reasonable trade/draft period and we are ready to go.

So no, we don't need it per se but am going to love watching the AFL hand everything to Gold Coast.

It is an absolute Joke the AFL have allowed free agency and then totally failed to address the obvious repercussions of this.

In a comp without relegation surely you must do everything in you power to stop clubs from rotting on the bottom for a decade.

You just make finals the metric. If you miss finals for three years in a row you get a pick after the non finalist have had theirs every year until you make the finals again. Very simple and there would not be tanking. Plus you must be allowed to bank salary cap space if you are terrible so you can have a better chance securing a free agent.

I actually think we don’t need the help now we needed it three years ago.

People say we have talent, but that's all it is currently. Who can predict the trajectory of this potential? GC also have a talented young list. We have clearly been one of the bottom two teams for 5 years now, with results rivalling that of Fitzroy - largely considered the worst team to ever grace a football field. Any opportunity to draft extra talent, or use the currency to trade for established talent should at least be asked for, and there would be an extremely compelling case to back it up.

For those potting GC, they have been above us on the ladder for most of the year and finished on top of us last year... Not sure we are that far ahead...

So are you arguing for both to have a priority pick? I think over the last 5 years they have won more games than us and I think we would have similar average ladder positions.

They are and always will be a money pit unless there is a change! My view is that to help build a financial base for the club the AFL should have bought the Southport Sharks (and associated assets (including hotel/club)), would have been a larger upfront investment but it would come with income generating assets and a supporter base. Perhaps they still could still do this as a rebrand to the Gold Coast Sharks wouldn't hurt either.

We will apply, we will get screwed, we will rise regardless.

We will apply, we get token assistance, we will rise regardless.

We will apply, we are given end of first round pick, we will rise regardless

We will apply, we get pick 2 after GC get pick 1.
I head to the Cows board and unload.

WE WILL RISE REGARDLESS

No priority picks, access to mature age players last year was a better strategy

As for us, we contributed to our demise, with sustained poor drafting and list management, which changed at the end of 2015
and which club that has received a priority pick hasn't contributed to its demise? it's about equalisation even if damage is self inflicted. hey why should the bottom club get pick 1, it's their own fault for being so bad!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are countless inequalities and compromises. We don't need a PP to rise now.

People just want others have had

How many have actually said we need a PP to rise up the ladder?

I'm not sure there are anywhere near as many as you seem to think.

Exactly, everyone acknowledges we don't need it but make the obvious observation that there is only an upside to asking.

So are you arguing for both to have a priority pick? I think over the last 5 years they have won more games than us and I think we would have similar average ladder positions.

They are and always will be a money pit unless there is a change! My view is that to help build a financial base for the club the AFL should have bought the Southport Sharks (and associated assets (including hotel/club)), would have been a larger upfront investment but it would come with income generating assets and a supporter base. Perhaps they still could still do this as a rebrand to the Gold Coast Sharks wouldn't hurt either.
Re: PP, I think both clubs are equally struggling and should be granted 1 at the top of the draft which should be req to be traded. GC should also get further off field support. How that is administered , there’s probably some more knowledgeable people around here with that solution.. On GC as a place, I was there for a conference last year, it’s actually become a really nice city. I’m in the minority view that a club up there could actually work. Great infrastructure and the place is booming...

No priority picks, access to mature age players last year was a better strategy

As for us, we contributed to our demise, with sustained poor drafting and list management, which changed at the end of 2015

Did we?

No compensation for Waite, Robbo, Betts, etc. very little for Garlett.
We were down at the time of compromised drafts,
Free agency does not help non-finalist teams, etc.
We are competing against teams that get PP (Brisbane 2 years ago) while being denied one by the AFL for worse circumstances.

We had Collo white ant us to lose our home ground advantage (and give the AFL a massive free kick in making Docklands viable)
We accepted the loss of draft picks/trading that far exceeded anything before or since (* got less penalty for doping...)

You could say it was self inflicted, but we have been treated appallingly by the AFL.

Re: PP, I think both clubs are equally struggling and should be granted 1 at the top of the draft which should be req to be traded. GC should also get further off field support. How that is administered , there’s probably some more knowledgeable people around here with that solution.. On GC as a place, I was there for a conference last year, it’s actually become a really nice city. I’m in the minority view that a club up there could actually work. Great infrastructure and the place is booming...
Being forced to trade it is not fair as we can get screwed by other clubs.

And I would really like Rowell...

the AFL is so compromised you take every advantage you can get, and ask without any regrets whatsoever. You don't ask you don't get.
Of course we should ask.
We have the worst record of any teams in the past 5 years or so.
The only benefit bottom teams get is low draft picks.
Bottom teams do not attract the good free agents, top teams do.
Top teams get free hits at the best free agents without giving up anything, it is only fair the bottom teams get something.
If the Gold Coast are going to ask then so should we.

Never said they did J, but how many keep banging on and comparing us to a side like GC, who I think we are well ahead of, despite current short term results

Plus, we haven't had players wanting out, as they have over the last 4 years

Did we?

No compensation for Waite, Robbo, Betts, etc. very little for Garlett.
We were down at the time of compromised drafts,
Free agency does not help non-finalist teams, etc.
We are competing against teams that get PP (Brisbane 2 years ago) while being denied one by the AFL for worse circumstances.

We had Collo white ant us to lose our home ground advantage (and give the AFL a massive free kick in making Docklands viable)
We accepted the loss of draft picks/trading that far exceeded anything before or since (* got less penalty for doping...)

You could say it was self inflicted, but we have been treated appallingly by the AFL.

Waite was an interesting case, think the AFL needs to address future compensation when players continue in the game, well past their initial departure contract

Betts was countered by gaining Thomas. Robbo we delisted. Garlett was a trade

So you could say 3 of the 4 exits, were poor list management? Maybe all 4

Between 2007-2014 drafts, only Kruezer and Cripps are still at the club, 2E, Holman and Gowers, the only others still in the game. Pretty damning

For me that shows it was clearly self inflicted

Don't like PP's, wont help the Suns recover, whilst Free Agents are allowed to move to top 8 clubs. Free agency as it stands wrecks the equalization process. Give struggling clubs larger salary caps to retain and attract good mature players. Might sound unfair but they've been down for a long time.
That is an excellent point. If the AFL actually compensated clubs with the actual trade value of the free agent, then that would largely nullify the requirement of a priority pick. For example, GCS received a 1st round pick for Lynch....there is no way he is worth that....if he was on the open market, GCS would have received probably two 1st rounders, or at least an additional 2nd rounder. That is what they should have been compensated.

The AFL would be rapt if GCS finished below us this year, so they can justify giving them a pp....they would have received one last year if it wasn't for us finishing below them...they couldn't justify it. There is no way we'll be receiving any compensation from the AFL this year.

GCS shouldn't be given a pp, it doesn't address the bigger picture up there...I agree that they should be given a larger salary cap to attract players up there, as well as being able to offer them good deals to help retain them.

Back