Radio 1116 SEN 2023 Line-up

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Can someone explain to me how Maher keeps his job?

He uses 50 words when 5 will do. He stutters (Not the stuttering that someone that actually stutters does but some stupid thing that only he does) His questions are always explained to the enth degree when it's very obvious what the actual question is and doesn't need an explanation attached to it.

I have listened to SEN from the very beginning but have to turn it off for his show now as i can not tolerate even the slightest sound of his voice and much to my dismay he's even doing ads and calling footy.

I can understand using him for the golf with Marco gone but i just don't get the attraction as to how he has survived there so long while so many have gone.

If Derwayn "Shake and Bake"Russell get's a gig i am gone 100%.

Last edited:

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
A combination of Bob Murphy and Andy Maher or colourful commentator Dwayne Russell.

These are a couple of the options being thrown around as SEN boss Craig Hutchison desperately tries to land a big fish to replace Kevin Bartlett.

As the fallout from the shock exit of the AFL legend after 15 years at the station continues, various combinations are being thrown up to steer the drive program for the rest of the year.

Most are already either on SEN's books or part of Hutchison's Crocmedia umbrella which spreads far and wide on the media landscape.

The one which is gaining the most momentum is a combination of Murphy, the former Western Bulldogs captain, and Maher who is the current afternoon host.

Murphy is a part of SEN's footy team and appears regularly on the station's breakfast show and also with Gerard Whateley in the morning.

Maher is a long-time SEN man but it's unclear whether the shift in timeslot would work given his TV commitments which include the ratings juggernaut 'The Front Bar' and Channel 7's cricket coverage.

Hutchison is a big fan of Russell who does an hour-long daily show called 'Dwayne' for SEN SA and the `Sportsday' show he does with Gerard Healy on 3AW is produced by Crocmedia.

Former Saint and Kangaroo Nick Dal Santo, who is also on SEN's books, is another possibility but it's believed other contributors, Nick Riewoldt and David King, have ruled themselves out.

One left-field suggestion is the combination of Shane Crawford and James Hird, who last year did a popular podcast together, although their asking price might be outside SEN's budget.

Bartlett leaving might not be the only big name to depart SEN with breakfast hosts Tim Watson and Garry Lyon both out-of-contract at the end of the year.

I'd never listen again if Murphy was a regular.

The way he made their gf win all about himself made me sick. Remains to be the single most selfish things I've seen

Oct 6, 2017
All over the place
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool Boston Celtics Victory
i was pleasantly surprised to hear sandy. he needs more airtime.

derm and wallace, no thanks
Usually Dermy and Terry are painful to listen to and i been known to switch off when Dermy came on in the past,but to me they were OK today. Probably the fact that Sandy being there controlling the show and the topics discussed made for an enjoyable listen.l

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I actually like Hutchy to be honest but I dunno if he really gets the common mans opinion of a lot of the guys he hires.

I reckon Garry and Tim are so good. Actually missed listening to them on the pod every day for the past few weeks. (Live in ADL and can't listen live)

I don't mind his call to get rid of KB, heard him a few times here and there and sounded way out of touch. But blokes like Bob and Dwayne Russell, do people actually like these guys? Dwayne has the worst voice and most annoying commentary style I've ever heard. I almost turn a game off straight away if he is the commentator seriously. Even Pickers when he's on the brekky show talks about how good he is and Gaz and Tim agree, what am I missing?

Bob too, massive tickets on himself and says some really weird s**t.

Anyway I hope Hutchy locks down Garry and Tim if they are out of contract. Would be a shame.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Usually Dermy and Terry are painful to listen to and i been known to switch off when Dermy came on in the past,but to me they were OK today. Probably the fact that Sandy being there controlling the show and the topics discussed made for an enjoyable listen.l
iirc Dermott was one of the original co-host of SEN original afternoon show back in 2004 with Francis Leach and Matt Hardy.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
You might've noticed that they tend to be blokes who haven't been blessed with good looks, and have probably struggled with chicks their whole lives. So, I reckon they do it in some desperate hope that it might help them pick up. :D I'm not kidding.

I feel bad for you.

That you think men are more inclined to be driven by their dicks than their values is a reflection on you moreso than anyone else.

Kane Cornes will present a top 5 list of afl players who hated the media then got into the media post retirement.

The footy media intrigues me. Jimmy bartel said that north are hot as (correct) since they sacked brad scott. Then he said theyre playing a different brand of footy.I believe he and others have said previously that nothing has changed. footy media change their tune all the time without consequences.

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
I wouldn't be surprised if Dwayne gets the afternoon drive slot, with a possible recent player as co-host. He may not be loved, but he's a long-term, professional radio-dude who has the experience to balance all the tricks of the (commercial) trade.

But the co-host can't be Bob Murphy, as he really is too insufferable for any length of time.

Out of left-field, I'd be looking to see if Angela Pippos wants to move into the Midday slot.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I wouldn't be surprised if Dwayne gets the afternoon drive slot, with a possible recent player as co-host. He may not be loved, but he's a long-term, professional radio-dude who has the experience to balance all the tricks of the (commercial) trade.

But the co-host can't be Bob Murphy, as he really is too insufferable for any length of time.

Out of left-field, I'd be looking to see if Angela Pippos wants to move into the Midday slot.
Maher is ok , might rabble on but has some good guests and is better than Whaterley.

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
Maher is ok , might rabble on but has some good guests and is better than Whaterley.

I think Maher will be moved to mornings next year.

Whateley is going to Seven to replace Bruce.

Wouldn't be surprised if KB stayed on in the hope he got his morning slot back next year, but was told recently he wouldn't, so just told 'em to stuff it.

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
In my mind im right and im sure many agree , that's if their still listening !

Like i said, not liking him is one thing.

Give an example of why he can't handle it, like i did when he reads out mean tweets of people bagging him and has a laugh about it or bags them back.

Never once have i heard him not being able to take criticism like you imply.

Last edited:
Back