List Mgmt. Priority pick

Should PP’s be given to:

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Waite was an interesting case, think the AFL needs to address future compensation when players continue in the game, well past their initial departure contract

Betts was countered by gaining Thomas. Robbo we delisted. Garlett was a trade

So you could say 3 of the 4 exits, were poor list management? Maybe all 4

Between 2007-2014 drafts, only Kruezer and Cripps are still at the club, 2E, Holman and Gowers, the only others still in the game. Pretty damning

For me that shows it was clearly self inflicted
But even if you believe it is self inflicted, why should that deny a PP being awarded for poor performance?
Under past criteria and the current PP criteria we have earned one.
Only issue is the (feigned) outrage of CFC getting help from the AFL.

It is an absolute Joke the AFL have allowed free agency and then totally failed to address the obvious repercussions of this.

In a comp without relegation surely you must do everything in you power to stop clubs from rotting on the bottom for a decade.

You just make finals the metric. If you miss finals for three years in a row you get a pick after the non finalist have had theirs every year until you make the finals again. Very simple and there would not be tanking. Plus you must be allowed to bank salary cap space if you are terrible so you can have a better chance securing a free agent.

I actually think we don’t need the help now we needed it three years ago.
Good post.

Free agency has changed the whole landscape of the AFL. All the good players have gone to top 8 teams, so if you just happen to be in a good position when Free agency started you have a massive head start. Teams down the bottom have to go to the draft.

The only way to make this system work fairly would have been help the bottom teams in the draft and PP was the exact tool to use at the time.

And yes it would have been common sense to keep the extra salary cap not needed in a poor team to throw at a free agent in the future, but no again.

Just watch when we are a top team the rules will be changed again.

But even if you believe it is self inflicted, why should that deny a PP being awarded for poor performance?
Exactly. Every PP that was ever given was to a club that made mistakes, self inflicted or not a PP is to stop clubs rotting on the bottom for to long.

I for one struggle to get my kids interested in Carlton because of our position.

Clubs can lose a generation of support, if stuck at the bottom to long.

First round PP help things just happen a little faster.

That is an excellent point. If the AFL actually compensated clubs with the actual trade value of the free agent, then that would largely nullify the requirement of a priority pick. For example, GCS received a 1st round pick for Lynch....there is no way he is worth that....if he was on the open market, GCS would have received probably two 1st rounders, or at least an additional 2nd rounder. That is what they should have been compensated.

The AFL would be rapt if GCS finished below us this year, so they can justify giving them a pp....they would have received one last year if it wasn't for us finishing below them...they couldn't justify it. There is no way we'll be receiving any compensation from the AFL this year.

GCS shouldn't be given a pp, it doesn't address the bigger picture up there...I agree that they should be given a larger salary cap to attract players up there, as well as being able to offer them good deals to help retain them.
Yep PP's piss off everyone else, because it effects their draft haul. Increased salary cap gets complicated when the struggling club becomes successful, like Sydney, then it's hard to know when to wind it down.

There is absolutely no way the afl would grant us a priority pick this year, which you would think would not even happen if we remained on three wins or won one more game at the very best to finish on 4wins for the year.
Particularly after them failing to stand up and show some balls with making the right decisions for two clubs last year who's recent history pointed heavily towards needing better draft assistance than the Mickey Mouse vfl crap that was laughably created i strongly believe to save themselves from backlash by all other clubs and news media.
I don't believe we need a priority pick this year anyway but if the worse scenario happens and we end up on 3/4 wins for the year along with GCS and they were rewarded a priority pick you think we would have to be in the same boat with what's occurred on a wins/losses comparison over recent years, so it would no doubt be more than handy.
I still believe we can win another 2/3 along the way home so that takes the discussion out of it completely, I'm sick to death of hovering around the bottom of the ladder I'll take a few more wins over a extra pick any day ...

I would hope that we'd win a few more games and thus remove ourselves from the PP equation. But if there's one thing that we've proven time and again, if there's a player who can get injured at the wrong time or a close game we can let slide from our grasp, Carlton can find a way.

If we somehow don't win more than five games I'd be disappointed if we weren't awarded a priority pick. I don't think it's something you should be forced to trade away either as that more likely just rewards some other club for off loading a player they were happy to part with.

Under the old criteria perhaps, under new criteria, think PP's are a thing of the past

The AFL will mold the rules (hah! What rules?) to provide post facto rationalisation for GCS priority picks this year. They would have last year, but even they couldn’t figure a corrupt yet plausible excuse to give them one, and not us.

It’s what they do.

Exactly. Every PP that was ever given was to a club that made mistakes, self inflicted or not a PP is to stop clubs rotting on the bottom for to long.

I for one struggle to get my kids interested in Carlton because of our position.

Clubs can lose a generation of support, if stuck at the bottom to long.

First round PP help things just happen a little faster.
Agree a PP will hasten a teams rehabilitation and we know it slow process and only very careful management will lift a team from the doldrums.
Any extra tangible support form AFL is welcomed and achieves a better outcome all teams in the competition.
The criticism and complaints of assistance given is short sighted and narrow.
Suns and Blues dwelling at the bottom of the ladder is unproductive and damaging to the league as a whole.

As I’ve said elsewhere - since the start of season 2015 till round 15 this year Gold Coast have won one more game than us.

Not that I’m itching for a priority pick, but I’d love to see how the AFL justify giving Gold Coast one and not us.
Because Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not keen on PP's. The main reason being that it's such a grey area at the AFL's discretion. I suppose if it was black and white where teams had to tick boxes to be entitled to a PP, then the tanking argument comes into play. Surely there is a better way to help teams consistently down the bottom.
Sorry, just moving this over to the appropriate thread.

Player selection and recruitment needs to be liberalized youngsters should be free to chose their preferred destination club, and not submitted to the AFL flawed and restrictive draft.

Some good discussion for and against.

I haven’t voted for any of the outcomes.

This is my two cents fwiw (sfa)

I don’t like the idea of asking for assistance but I understand the need for the AFL to dish out PP’s

It’s the AFL’s way of “helping”

One thing I didn’t mind was the mini-draft ting that they had going where GWS/GC had access to Jack Martin, Hogan, O’Meara and I can’t remember who else. They had to trade them for picks or whatever but I didn’t mind the concept.

PP’s if they don’t disturb the first round I don’t necessarily mind, provided they are traded for established talent. The mature league access was ok as well.

I mean if you’ve been s**t for ages I liked someone else’s idea of having a temporary increased cap for say 2-4 years to attract an extra free agent or two. Once the increased cap period is over though it would get interesting.

I’m sort of sitting on the fence I suppose.

And then there’s the whole tanking ting 😬

The whole draft system , free agency priority picks just doesn't work well for clubs down the bottom of the ladder.A fairer system would be that the closer to the bottom of the ladder you finish you get more cap space to trade/free agency experienced players. The difference between pick 1 and pick 18 is simply not that great and it's a bit of luck anyway. If carlton had an extra mill in the cap this year we would have a huge advantage over the team who wins the premiership come trade time if they got no extra cap. Simply getting pick 1 or 2 really does not much because it usually take 4 years for the player to come on and even then it's only a 50% chance at best if the fullfill their potential.

Some good discussion for and against.

I haven’t voted for any of the outcomes.

This is my two cents fwiw (sfa)

I don’t like the idea of asking for assistance but I understand the need for the AFL to dish out PP’s

It’s the AFL’s way of “helping”

One thing I didn’t mind was the mini-draft ting that they had going where GWS/GC had access to Jack Martin, Hogan, O’Meara and I can’t remember who else. They had to trade them for picks or whatever but I didn’t mind the concept.

PP’s if they don’t disturb the first round I don’t necessarily mind, provided they are traded for established talent. The mature league access was ok as well.

I mean if you’ve been s**t for ages I liked someone else’s idea of having a temporary increased cap for say 2-4 years to attract an extra free agent or two. Once the increased cap period is over though it would get interesting.

I’m sort of sitting on the fence I suppose.

And then there’s the whole tanking ting 😬
That mini draft thing is my preferred assistance if any was given, there was favorable discussion around this method on ‘on the couch’ this week too. With it sounding like Roos will join us in some manner soon, it’s good to have him angling some assistance for us in the media atm..

Player selection and recruitment needs to be liberalized youngsters should be free to chose their preferred destination club, and not submitted to the AFL flawed and restrictive draft.

Under that model, the clubs getting a real crack at draftees will be:
Geelong
Hawthorn
Collingwood
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
West Coast

The others will have to catch the scraps or (hopefully gun) kids who grew up as die-hard supporters.

Enjoy.

I'd like to see some sort of Success Tax applied to free agency.
Some sort of sliding scale where the premiers essentially lose 20% of the free agent's deal out of their salary cap. Maybe into a past players' support fund for the AFLPA to shut them up.
Either that, or some sort of points cost, again on a sliding scale kicking in from 8th position. Then they can juggle how they claw that back (dropping lower picks, sliding down the order so other teams get a bump, etc).

So Tigers, Hawks, Cats, you can get your man, but it's not a free pass.

No way.

The AFL would never let that happen and rightly so.

There are very few clubs who would remain competitive and many would not survive.

Back