2018 Grand Finalists - West Coast vs Collingwood ##Optus Stadium Friday 12th July## Round 17, 2019 ( Edited page 15 current discussion )

Who wins the rematch of the 2018 Grand Final between the Black and White Army and the Eagles

• Collingwood - They'll be too hungry with an added chip on their shoulder - Blowout Victory

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • West Coast - Dom Sheed will have a blinder and break their hearts at the death again

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • Pies in a close one

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Eagles to roll at the G winning comprehensively

Votes: 38 19.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said Collingwood will win the flag all season and am sticking to that, regardless what happens Friday Night.

If they win Friday night, give them the cup there and then.

I've said Collingwood will win the flag all season and am sticking to that, regardless what happens Friday Night.

If Richmond win this week their only loss for the rest of the season imo will be against Collingwood.

If Pies win this week they're as good as premiers imo.
If they lose Friday night and WC go two games clear and then have to travel and meet a desperate GWS on their home deck and lose that, well it would be desperately difficult from then on for Collingwood.

In 1990 in a game that would take the winner directly into the Grand Final Peter Sumich had a chance to win it for the Eagles with a shot after the siren.

Sumich missed the resulting kick and the game ended a tie. There was a replay the following week and West Coast lost the game by 10 goals.

In 1994 the WCE topped the ladder and faced Collingwood in the first week of the finals who finished the season in 8th place. WCE led by 24 points at 3qtr time but faced a last term onslaught led by Gavin Brown who kicked 4 last quarter goals. On the siren, Mick McGuane had the ball on his chest with a chance to win the game for the Maggies. He didn't complete the mark and the opportunity was lost. WCE survived by 2 points, had a week off with a home prelim and went on to become Premiers.

The next final was a 2007 semi where the Eagles lost narrowly the week before away to Port where they had injuries to Ben Cousins and Chris Judd. They would go into the game also missing Daniel Kerr who was a prominent player for the Big Birds. Collingwood bundled out Sydney who made the 2 previous Grand Finals winning one and losing one against WCE. The game went to extra time and the Eagles went goalless and lost by 19 points. Collingwood had eliminated the last two premiers of the comp and went on to face a rampant Geelong where they gave them an almighty shake. Fell short by 5 points.

2011 and the reigning champs Collingwood finished top of the table hosting WCE in the 1st qualifying final. The Eagles against expectations finished the season in 4th place after claiming their first ever wooden spoon in 2010. WCE fought gallantly but Collingwood led with a little cameo performance from Alex Fasolo held sway and came away with the win. The Pies would lose the Grand Final to Geelong after eclipsing the Hawks in a prelim thriller.

2012 and Collingwood hosted West Coast for the second successive season in an MCG final after losing the opening week to the Hawks. WCE thumped North at Subiaco by 16 goals and went into the game confident after falling short by under a kick in their regular season meeting at the G. The Eagles started the game brightly kicking the first 4 goals of the game and led at half time by 11 points. The Pies eventually clawed their way back into the contest and it was all to play for in the last. WCE had the lead and the ball but a costly error by Andrew Embley proved decisive as WCE had Collingwood on the counter. They coughed up the ball, and a goal, and eventually the game. Collingwood came away with a hard fought 13 point win setting up a prelim showdown at ANZ against Sydney.

So many classics these teams have produced

Tranquilli's 6 in the wet at the G in 1994

Random Present for footy fans :tearsofjoy:

2002 Brodie Holland's 8 goals in a one point win
2003 Eagles 5 goals in the first 7-8 minutes in a etihad classic
2005 and the bottom placed Pies beat the undefeated league leading Eagles
2006+2007 classics Saturday Night Subi Showdown

Many great battles throughout the 2010's

Some interesting facts about Eagles V Collingwood.

Since the eagles joined the competition in 1987, 32 years ago, in the home and away games, there have been 28 home games for Collingwood, and only 17 home games for the eagles.

Of the 17 eagles home games, its 14-3 in the eagles favor.

Was it after a 10 game losing streak,(1994-2000) that Collingwood told the AFL they don't want to go to Perth anymore? because up that stage, it was fairly even in H&A games Melbourne/Perth.

Some interesting facts about Eagles V Collingwood.

Since the eagles joined the competition in 1987, 32 years ago, in the home and away games, there have been 28 home games for Collingwood, and only 17 home games for the eagles.

Of the 17 eagles home games, its 14-3 in the eagles favor.

Was it after a 10 game losing streak,(1994-2000) that Collingwood told the AFL they don't want to go to Perth anymore? because up that stage, it was fairly even in H&A games Melbourne/Perth.
I'm kinda happy to play Collingwood away every year, as long as it's at the G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's only just occured to me that Collingwood and West Coast are probably the strongest Vic v Interstate rivalry in the game? Outside of Hawks/Swans, though they'd have history as South Melbourne.
Quite strange to me as we'd played so many finals against each other, but I still didn't really think of them as rivals up until last years' GF which was a game I think both teams really deserved to play together. It was a perfect game for the rivalry that day, it's too bad it didn't go our way.
No doubt that we will exact our revenge one future final Saturday in September ;)

It's only just occured to me that Collingwood and West Coast are probably the strongest Vic v Interstate rivalry in the game? Outside of Hawks/Swans, though they'd have history as South Melbourne.
Quite strange to me as we'd played so many finals against each other, but I still didn't really think of them as rivals up until last years' GF which was a game I think both teams really deserved to play together. It was a perfect game for the rivalry that day, it's too bad it didn't go our way.
No doubt that we will exact our revenge one future final Saturday in September ;)

Always have respect for most of the Pies posters here, and the club as a whole even if Eddie is a bit questionable at times. I like to think both sets of supporters had a mutual admiration for each other during GF week and there aren't any real flogs in the Pies team. If we don't go B2B this year I hope the Pies do it over all the other teams in the eight at the moment (except Brisbane).

I hope we still smash you tomorrow night though. :cool:

If we don't go B2B this year I hope the Pies do it over all the other teams in the eight at the moment (except Brisbane).
Funnily enough, at the start of last years' finals (predicting we'd have no chance at making it and that Richmond would B2B) I would say to my mates how "I'd obviously love Collingwood to be premiers, but if they don't I would want the Eagles to win" haha.
May have or may not have jinxed it for us (sorry guys) so... you're welcome :)

I still don’t think the two clubs are rivals. There’s no real tension between the players nor the supporters, they’re just two clubs who often play good games between them.

You are a cooked unit

I still don’t think the two clubs are rivals. There’s no real tension between the players nor the supporters, they’re just two clubs who often play good games between them.
I thought in the sense of teams who have had a history of playing big games against one another they were rivals, but yeah that's there's that one element that it doesn't have that Collingwood/Carlton for example does - tension between supporters/players.

Eagles and Pies are def rivals now. Doesn't have to be an intense hatred. West Coast and Sydney the perfect example. Became rivals, almost friendly one's at that.

Respectful rivals.

West Coast '' how mate how are you ''

Sydney '' good ''

West Coast '' that's good. I'm going to kill you:D ''

Dom Sheed grinning lining up for the national anthem before the Grand Final would go well with that last phrase.

riot pics.jpg

That's what will happen if someone interrupts me during tonight's game. For the weekend for that matter.

Back