Prediction Will Carlton be 'awarded' with a priority pick this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

No and the suns don't deserve one either.
Teams who bring it on themselves don't deserve... I mean the Suns traded a pick 2 they had for Weller.
I hope the AFL put their foot down next month and say no to anyone asking for handouts.
No self interest there. No siree...

The biggest lie that I see repeated over and over is that having crap teams is bad for the competition. Newsflash: There have always been and will always be crap teams. If your team is going well, then who the hell cares if Carlton are languishing at the bottom? Besides its not like they have faced significant hurdles other than their own ineptitude. They have barely lost any players, probably one of the best retention rates in the league (though unfortunately a lot of their players are crap which does help to retain them). They have had boatloads of top draft picks, both in the draft and traded in. Probably more than anyone other than perhaps GWS.

Compare to Gold Coast who have lost so many players to other clubs poaching them (understandable but has been rough for GC) but its a losing proposition for GC because the draft resources used to pick up players generally aren't compensated (not to mention the time in development) when those players leave and they get draft picks in return. Mind you I don't support priority picks for GC either but you can at least understand the argument.

As for Carlton I'm just going to have a good long chuckle that they finished bottom again, after they came out so boldly in the preseason declaring their time was now and trading away their first pick.

What the Suns need is a few mediocre mid 20’s players that are professional in how they go about it. They’ve got numerous pointy end picks on their list, another one isn’t the solution to ceasing the thrashings. The AFL were on the right track with last year’s handout. Try and beef that up a bit, perhaps even with type of limited cap relief for bringing in a certain type of player. Carlton look like they’ve turned the corner, but I wouldn’t be against them getting a similar type deal to last year. They don’t have the go home factor that Suns have, so there’s less risk surrounding their ascension once they’ve started moving upwards. Suns could be wiped out with departures in a year or 2.

What the Suns need is a few mediocre mid 20’s players that are professional in how they go about it. They’ve got numerous pointy end picks on their list, another one isn’t the solution to ceasing the thrashings.

Isn't that why they bought in Miles, Horlin-Smith and Murdoch? What they really need is mid 20's players who aren't mediocre.

No and the suns don't deserve one either.
Teams who bring it on themselves don't deserve... I mean the Suns traded a pick 2 they had for Weller.
I hope the AFL put their foot down next month and say no to anyone asking for handouts.
Although it was a WTF moment at the time, the Weller trade (where we also got Charlie Ballard) has turned out very well for us. Weller wants to live here, has already come third in last year’s B&F.
Not saying we absolutely need a priority pick but we need some additional assistance If the AFL wants footy to move forward on the Coast. We just don’t have the rusted on generational support that teams from footy states have.

We will probably end the year similarly to Brisbane this past year. 5 wins with a strong percentage.

Brisbane got a PP so logically we should too. But its doubtful as there would be too many haters.

I think a pick 2 is too much for us, but more like pick 19/20 like Brisbane got. Would be good trade bait to see us push for finals.

The only thing stopping the AFL from handing GC a priority pick last year was us finishing below them.

This year the rules (hah!) will be retrofitted to the desired outcome (with all due consideration, in the fullness of time, etc.). Same as every other year really.
I think the big difference between the 2 clubs is that the GC have had little say in losing their last 3 captains to other clubs including 2 in one year.

The blues have been able to bring in players, while GC have the issue of no decent player wanting to go there.

For Blues supporters to think they deserve more handouts because GC may get assistance is mind boggling. Is it that you want a priority pick for each year that SOS is there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will probably end the year similarly to Brisbane this past year. 5 wins with a strong percentage.

Brisbane got a PP so logically we should too. But its doubtful as there would be too many haters.

I think a pick 2 is too much for us, but more like pick 19/20 like Brisbane got. Would be good trade bait to see us push for finals.

Push for finals lol never

I don't think we need one, nor do i think we'll get one.

but it's hard to put together an objective argument for the gold coast to get one and carlton not to.

gold coast 2017: 6-16
carlton 2017: 6-16

gold coast 2018: 4-18
carlton 2018: 2-20

gold coast 2019: 3-12 (3 single digit losses)
carlton 2019: 3-12 (4 single digit losses)

Will the AFL announce the Carlton extra draft pick package, this week or sometime before draft day?

As stated above the case for the Carlton AFL discussion is very convincing in terms of wins in recent history

Will the AFL announce the Carlton extra draft pick package, this week or sometime before draft day?

As stated above the case for the Carlton AFL discussion is very convincing in terms of wins in recent history

This is why the AFL can’t be trusted with arbitrary decisions. Stakeholders need a system that demands integrity and consistency and allows for clubs to make accurate predictions about what will play out according to an objective system. This “help your mates when the mood takes old” crap from the AFL shouldn’t be tolerated.

Our league today is as much a staged AFL event as it is an actual football competition.

Close this thread please totally irrelevant.

Up until Teague leaned on the old heads at the blues and scrapped out a couple more wins, to move one or two spots up the ladder this season. The Carlton footy club has a inferior recent record to the suns

so the suns to be getting compo and carlton not is relevant, i think?

Priority picks are not about wins and (mostly) losses.

They are an emergency measure to use only when a club is broken.

Carlton has been shite for longer than I care to think about. But we are finally back standing on our own two feet.

Will we make the finals and win premierships with our current list? Maybe not. But I think we are at least no longer a basket case.

GC is a basket case and screwed without help. Therefore they need/deserve a bailout. Carlton do not.

Priority picks are not about wins and (mostly) losses.

They are an emergency measure to use only when a club is broken.

Carlton has been s**t for longer than I care to think about. But we are finally back standing on our own

Well, they used to be win/loses

Franklin, Roughead

Pedders, Thomas etc.

Scully, Trengove (not martin)

i think it was less than 4.5 wins and hence the tanking

i dont really know how they work now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back