Cricket

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is Khawaja injured, or did we really just drop a bloke before a semi-final and pick someone who hasn't had a bat in the tournament? Late to the party, I know.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
"Let's bring in Handscomb who hasn't played for months and stick with Stoinis who hasn't made a run for the tournament"

Classic Australian selectors. Don't you ever change.

Is Khawaja injured, or did we really just drop a bloke before a semi-final and pick someone who hasn't had a bat in the tournament? Late to the party, I know.

Hamstring

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
"Let's bring in Handscomb who hasn't played for months and stick with Stoinis who hasn't made a run for the tournament"

Classic Australian selectors. Don't you ever change.

Hamstring

Okay, at least he's injured.

Just be glad it wasn't Mitch Marsh... although, he probably couldn't do much worse than Stoinis.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Okay, at least he's injured.

Just be glad it wasn't Mitch Marsh... although, he probably couldn't do much worse than Stoinis.
I would of taken Mitch Marsh over Stoinis to be honest. he has experience and a decent enough record in England. not sure what Stoinis has got besides a big head.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I would of taken Mitch Marsh over Stoinis to be honest. he has experience and a decent enough record in England. not sure what Stoinis has got besides a big head.

SWAGGER, or something. May as well have picked James Pattinson as a bowling all-rounder for all the runs Maxwell and Stoinis have scored.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oh well, finally ran out of luck and that soft middle-order came back to bite us. Fair play to the Poms for putting out more challenging decks in the semi-final stage - the two flat track bully batting lineups didn't cope as well as a couple of sides who are used to the ball moving around a fair bit.

Hopefully the Kiwis get up in the final, but you'd think England have a nose ahead with their batting lineup. Get ready for more knighthoods...

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oh well, finally ran out of luck and that soft middle-order came back to bite us. Fair play to the Poms for putting out more challenging decks in the semi-final stage - the two flat track bully batting lineups didn't cope as well as a couple of sides who are used to the ball moving around a fair bit.

Hopefully the Kiwis get up in the final, but you'd think England have a nose ahead with their batting lineup. Get ready for more knighthoods...
yeah we got completely out played. injuries to Khawaja and the back up in SMarsh came at the wrong time, robbed us of a bit of some batting depth. Handscomb is always going to struggle against the moving ball over there imo. the ongoing poor form of Maxwell and Stoinis was costly. they had poor tournaments, no wickets from Maxwell and no runs of note from either. they would of been better off playing a genuine bowler and a genuine batsman than those two, but that's nothing new, the fascination with B grade all rounders proves costly again. thought we probably cooked Starc and Cummins by playing them every game as well. Carey stepped up, so he gets a tick.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It was always fraught given that the lineup never really was settled. England have more or less played the same side for the past 3-4 years in the format whereas Australia have typically pissfarted about with selection. Warner batted well, Smith not so much through the tournament but I can’t shake the feeling that it kind of disrupted the team when they came back. Injuries to Hazlewood and J Richardson were unhelpful and Australia paid the price for not settling on a spinner until late (should’ve always been Lyon, Zampa is a hack).

I really hate the Poms though, as much as we are a nation of hysterical sore losers, they are terribly graceless winners. OBEs, MBEs and knighthoods will be handed out like confetti if they win. They’ll s**t on about it for eons like the 2003 Rugby World Cup or the 2005 Ashes and then probably fail to live up it again.

Unless NZ bowl them out cheaply I can see the Poms doing a similar job on them in the final. Kiwis don’t have much beyond Williamson and Taylor with the bat or Boult and Ferguson with the ball.

On to the Ashes but I don’t hold out much hope there.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Come on you filthy Kiwis.

Hopefully they can get off to a good start. Runs on the board in finals is huge.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Going to be another cagey game, looking at the pitch and ball movement. See out the first 20 overs and try to get the scoreboard ticking over in the middle overs and keep wickets in hand to throw the stick around late. At least its not another road and slogfest.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is it my TV or does the deck look a lot greener than the semi wickets .?

Dunno, I thought there was a bit of grass on the semi wickets as well. Deck looks like bit of a grass covering but also fairly hard with good bounce, so a good cricket wicket. Will move around early and then settle down for the batsmen later on, so wickets in hand will be key.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watto would have been ashamed of that review. Trying to work out what Guptill thought was going to save him there.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watto would have been ashamed of that review. Trying to work out what Guptill thought was going to save him there.
I thought the first review they got lucky , reckon he thought he knicked it ,and going over the top was luck. the second one was pure watto i agree .

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I thought the first review they got lucky , reckon he thought he knicked it ,and going over the top was luck. the second one was pure watto i agree .

I thought the first one was fairly optimistic, but I reckon he would have thought it was height. Hit him on the top flap of the pad pushing forward, but I still think there was a fair bit of luck there as I had my finger up at home as well. Could have gone off the length as well. Guptill on the other hand... best I can come up with was that he thought he might have shuffled across far enough to get hit outside the line? He just looked out, and I'd imagine a more confident partner would have told him to pack his bags.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hmmm, big wicket there. Taylor needs to anchor this innings and see it through to the 40+ over mark.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
New Zealand were robbed. In the event the teams are tied in runs after the super over, the first tie breaker should then go to who took more wickets. Boundaries should be secondary to that. And only one team got bowled out.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
New Zealand were robbed. In the event the teams are tied in runs after the super over, the first tie breaker should then go to who took more wickets. Boundaries should be secondary to that. And only one team got bowled out.

Terrible way to decide a final.

Edit: Losing on boundaries, I mean.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Woke up and decided to check who had won on my phone and Poms were 7 for 220. Turned the tv on to watch the last 9 balls. Couldn't believe it. Kiwis should never have lost. First Boult taking the catch then stepping on the boundary for 6. Then the over throws for 4 off stokes bat. Unbelievable. It should never have got to a tie breaker in the first place. Poms had all the luck.

Back