Who should coach Freo in 2020

Demons09

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2009
rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
He may of been mentioned before but really Like Jarrad Schofield . I know Port have him as assistant and perhaps Hinkley's successor if port continue to be mediocre. Record with Subi was outstanding and think he has a good footy IQ.
Eastaugh, Hale or Guerra could of coached that side to a flag.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have seen a fair bit of criticism directed at Lyon because of the 9 derby losses in a row.
I wonder how many of those posters are aware that Clarkson lost 11 games in a row to Geelong from 2009-13.

Give it a spell 3/4 of those were by a kick and some of the best games of the last decade

Your the stats guru give us the average losing margins plus there is the not insignificant shadow of the 2008 GF

If Rosco knocks off WC in a GF I’ll give him the next 20 Derby’s grace as well

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
It seems a fair few people think wins against West Coast are somehow worth double the points.

I'd gladly take two 100 pt losses to them every year for the next 5 years if it guaranteed a couple of premierships during that time.
Or we can take option 2, our normal option, which is losing 2 derbies a year allowing WC an easy run into the top 4 while stinking it up in the bottom 4

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Schofield is the guy who got the tom **** and led Subiaco off the ground before the presentations to Peel for the premiership. Absolute sook, and got outcoached by Cam Sheppard two years in a row.
May been sooking because of all the AFL players Peel had perhaps? We won't do that when WC play their 17 AFL plus two Cat B rookies in the finals will we?

If Sheppard is so good why couldn't he get close to the most evenly matched team to us last weekend? Same number of AFL players, two extra ex-AFL players the same, they had ammos and we had Peel WAFL players, WC don't train with their top up players, but not only couldn't we hit the scoreboard accurately we had no system getting the ball into the forwards and got cut off time and time again!

Is that good coaching? Wait ... maybe he's just following RTB orders?

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
The new Subi coach is going ok, let's grab him.:rolleyes:
If you don't think Schofield is already and will be an even better assistant coach in the next few years you're extremely narrow minded. He has a very good footy brain and I bet he's be doing the coaching courses that NONE of our assistants have seen any need to!

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you don't think Schofield is already and will be an even better assistant coach in the next few years you're extremely narrow minded. He has a very good footy brain and I bet he's be doing the coaching courses that NONE of our assistants have seen any need to!

Just pointing out the new coach at Subi is going ok. If the criteria is coaching a successful Wafl club in Subiaco then the new coach at Subi could be our man. Don't know his name so will have to refer to him as that new Subi coach.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Scott Watters was a "good" WAFL coach of Subi before having a "good" AFL career as Assistant Coach. If you start defending Watters coaching ability I'll know this thread has jumped the shark.
Cra p Subi Colts coach, cra p Subi coach and cra p AFL coach. Got kissed on the d I c k by his mates in the media and now trying to do the same for Sumich.

Just my opinion (and knowing some of the players in Colts and AFL under him.)

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ross will coach in 2020 due to Mismanagement of his contract worth, but the club behind the scenes need to try
to bring in the best assistants possible, even if it is just to sell hope, change.
Nothing changes and you will see membership decline before the start of 2020.

Aug 20, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ross will coach in 2020 due to Mismanagement of his contract worth, but the club behind the scenes need to try
to bring in the best assistants possible, even if it is just to sell hope, change.
Nothing changes and you will see membership decline before the start of 2020.
Sadly this is most likely.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
He may of been mentioned before but really Like Jarrad Schofield . I know Port have him as assistant and perhaps Hinkley's successor if port continue to be mediocre. Record with Subi was outstanding and think he has a good footy IQ.
Eastaugh, Hale or Guerra could of coached that side to a flag.
Schofield is the guy who got the tom **** and led Subiaco off the ground before the presentations to Peel for the premiership. Absolute sook, and got outcoached by Cam Sheppard two years in a row.
Schofield is an absolute prawn.
Schofield is no mug and was clearly a good WAFL coach.

He’s apparently enjoying the challenge of the AFL environment and has learned, and is learning a lot.
Scott Watters was a "good" WAFL coach of Subi before having a "good" AFL career as Assistant Coach. If you start defending Watters coaching ability I'll know this thread has jumped the shark.

Just because your a good WAFL or SANFL Coach, it doesnt mean you will become a Good AFL coach.

Jarrad Schofield was a good WAFL coach at Subi but subi had one of the best lists in the SANFL. Schofield is doing ok in the AFL as an assistant at Port. As Stated Scott Watters guided Subiaco to a couple of Flags and we know how well he did at the saints.

I am a keen follower of the SANFL. But for some noticeable former SANFL coaches in the AFL.

Alistair Clarkson Coached Central Districts Bulldogs in the SANFL in 2001 and 2002. Both years in Grand finals. Beat Woodville West torrens (Pavs old club) in 2001, Lost to Sturt in 2002. Clarko went to Port Adelaide Power as an Assistant in 2003 and 2004. So yeah was Part of the coaching staff that won the 2004 flag with Port along with the late Phil walsh and Dean Bailey.

Centrals From 2000-2010 was the Subiaco of right now. They won flags in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. And yes they made every grand final from 2000-2010.

Nathan Bassett is an Ex Crows player. Coached Norwood from 2010-2013. Got Norwood in back to back flags in beating west adelaide in 2012 and and North Adelaide 2013. He went to Essendon, became an assistant coach in 2014-5. Went back to SA as an assistant coach at Port since 2016. Guiding Norwood to a flag is like guiding East freo to a Flag. Like East freo, Norwood has 30 premierships.

Martin Mattner tried to become an assistant coach, Like Bassett, had to become an SANFL coach. He coached Sturt in 2016-18. got back to back flags with sturt in 2016-7. This year is an assistant coach at the crows.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Disagree, although I'm not saying he's ready to be a head coach. Schofield has shown just in his first year AFL assistant that he's contributing strongly.
How so?
Port are (still )inconsistent as us and have a more mature squad.
As alluded to before by a few coaching subi to flags is no great achievement... peter German and Scott Watters both took subi to multiple flags, how’d they turn out in the coaching side of things?

Also as Cesoir said Schoflogg is just another subi/WC tainted absolute sook

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
I haven't noticed a single mention of our women's team coach.
I would have thought he was at least one of those considered

Drapatch

Senior List
Jun 1, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I haven't noticed a single mention of our women's team coach.
I would have thought he was at least one of those considered

Why would he be considered, What attributes has he shown in this role or previous that would make him successful?

Back