List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that every single year there are trade scenarios where we give up 4 blokes on the periphery and in return we get a gun or a pick in the top 5.

As soon as you post nonsense like this it renders your opinion on trading irrelevant. Trades don't really happen like that.

Heard Larkey is keen on the dogs because they're going to let him paint murals all over western oval.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I love that every single year there are trade scenarios where we give up 4 blokes on the periphery and in return we get a gun or a pick in the top 5.

Trade HQ: Check out all the big list calls facing North Melbourne this off-season

Brendon Goddard and Liam Twomey, Herald Sun
July 12, 2019 6:00am
Subscriber only
North Melbourne’s resurgence under Rhyce Shaw has been exciting to watch.
And the thing that has impressed me most is the form of the kids.

Nick Larkey certainly has a future up forward and those key position youngsters with star potential can often be the hardest to find.

I’ve also loved what I’ve seen from the likes of Tarryn Thomas, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Jy Simpkin.

Given the club has only had one top five draft pick since 2010, that is a huge tick for the recruiting department.

Shaw has got this group playing with more freedom and it is clear he has a strong relationship with the players.

When the club was struggling at the start of the season, there was plenty of talk about rebuilding and questions being asked about the Roos’ veterans.

Even though the kids are leading the charge, I don’t think the club should be thinking about moving on any of its older stars.

While rivals contending for premierships might come knocking with offers for the likes of Shaun Higgins, Ben Brown and Robbie Tarrant, North needs these guys, both as great players and also as leaders.

Ask St Kilda how parting ways with their two most experienced players in Nick Riewoldt and Leigh Montagna in the same off-season impacted their leadership.

Now is the time for the club to put its “war chest” of salary cap space to good use.

In the past they have gone after superstars but I don’t necessarily think they need to continue down that path.

When a club is on the way up, it makes more sense to build a group that can develop together.

Todd Goldstein continues to ruck at a high level. Picture: Mark Stewart

I would be looking at players in the 22-24 age range who are crying out for more opportunity.
One player who has a big decision to make at the end of the season is Todd Goldstein.
As a free agent at 31, this is probably his last chance to get a big contract.
Regardless of Goldstein’s decision, I think the Kangaroos still need to address their ruck depth.
Braydon Preuss left last off-season and the Goldstein succession plan needs to kick off sooner rather than later.

THREE PLAYERS ROOS RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING
Todd Goldstein
A free agent at the end of the season, Todd Goldstein has a very interesting decision to make. While he has said he is keen to stay, rival clubs looking for a quality ruckman will continue to ask the question as long as he remains unsigned. He is 31 years old but has showed he is still among the top rucks in the competition.
Shaun Higgins
North Melbourne’s form revival is a major spanner in the works for a number of clubs anticipating the Kangaroos were set for a rebuild. That could have potentially opened the door to poach Shaun Higgins. At 31 years of age, he no doubt wants to play for a contender. Does his timeline match up with the improving kids at Arden Street?
Shaun Higgins is still producing at a consistently high level. Picture: Michael Klein
Shaun Higgins is still producing at a consistently high level. Picture: Michael Klein

Ben Brown
Still only 26 years old, Ben Brown would be hot property if he hit the open market. He’s on track to kick 60 goals for the third successive year and the Roos would not want to lose him. Any rival that comes knocking better be prepared to pay up.

THREE ROOS RIVAL RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING
Jamie Elliott
The Magpies have no shortage of forward depth. And with the development of Callum Brown this year, that has only got deeper. Where does it leave Jamie Elliott? He is still unsigned beyond this year and given what he is capable of when fully fit, he could be the ideal low risk, high reward trade.

Jack Martin
The Roos have struck out on big names before but they continue to ask the questions. Jack Martin would be a brilliant addition to a club looking for some silky skills, both up forward and in the midfield. They will have to make a big financial commitment though, with Martin said to be in the mix for a $700,000 offer.
Jack Martin has been linked with a move away from the Gold Coast. Picture: AAP Images
Jack Martin has been linked with a move away from the Gold Coast. Picture: AAP Images

Peter Ladhams
A 202cm ruckman, Peter Ladhams has been racking up massive numbers in the SANFL all season. However, he is stuck behind Scott Lycett and Paddy Ryder in the Port Adelaide pecking order. Regardless of what Todd Goldstein decides to do with his future, Ladhams is just 21 and would be a good fit at North. He is out of contract at the end of the season.

RATE THE 2018 TRADE PERIOD
Score: 6/10
The Kangaroos were one of the most active clubs during the 2018 off-season, adding a host of mature age recruits. Jared Polec and Jasper Pittard came over as a package deal from Port Adelaide and have largely been a success. Polec’s disposals numbers are slightly down on last year but his scoring output has increased. Meanwhile, Pittard hasn’t missed a game on the backline. Ex-Sun Aaron Hall is currently taking time away from the club to focus on his mental health. Former Demon Dom Tyson has been forced to spend time in the VFL.

908690c7e61d150452af2ca8a899ae97

North Melbourne appears to have struck gold at the draft. Highly touted No. 8 pick Tarryn Thomas is a rising star in every sense with Rhyce Shaw recently saying, “I haven’t seen a kid come into the competition and be so clean like that.” Bailey Scott has also picked up a Rising Star nomination, with the Roos having the most nominees of any side in the competition. Parting ways with Braydon Preuss hasn’t impacted the club negatively, with the inconsistent ruckman playing just three games for Melbourne this year.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Trade HQ: Check out all the big list calls facing North Melbourne this off-season
Brendon Goddard and Liam Twomey, Herald Sun
July 12, 2019 6:00am
Subscriber only
North Melbourne’s resurgence under Rhyce Shaw has been exciting to watch.
And the thing that has impressed me most is the form of the kids.

Nick Larkey certainly has a future up forward and those key position youngsters with star potential can often be the hardest to find.

I’ve also loved what I’ve seen from the likes of Tarryn Thomas, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Jy Simpkin.

Given the club has only had one top five draft pick since 2010, that is a huge tick for the recruiting department.

Shaw has got this group playing with more freedom and it is clear he has a strong relationship with the players.

When the club was struggling at the start of the season, there was plenty of talk about rebuilding and questions being asked about the Roos’ veterans.

Even though the kids are leading the charge, I don’t think the club should be thinking about moving on any of its older stars.

While rivals contending for premierships might come knocking with offers for the likes of Shaun Higgins, Ben Brown and Robbie Tarrant, North needs these guys, both as great players and also as leaders.

Ask St Kilda how parting ways with their two most experienced players in Nick Riewoldt and Leigh Montagna in the same off-season impacted their leadership.

Now is the time for the club to put its “war chest” of salary cap space to good use.

In the past they have gone after superstars but I don’t necessarily think they need to continue down that path.

When a club is on the way up, it makes more sense to build a group that can develop together.

I would be looking at players in the 22-24 age range who are crying out for more opportunity.
One player who has a big decision to make at the end of the season is Todd Goldstein.
As a free agent at 31, this is probably his last chance to get a big contract.
Regardless of Goldstein’s decision, I think the Kangaroos still need to address their ruck depth.
Braydon Preuss left last off-season and the Goldstein succession plan needs to kick off sooner rather than later.

THREE PLAYERS ROOS RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING
Todd Goldstein
A free agent at the end of the season, Todd Goldstein has a very interesting decision to make. While he has said he is keen to stay, rival clubs looking for a quality ruckman will continue to ask the question as long as he remains unsigned. He is 31 years old but has showed he is still among the top rucks in the competition.
Shaun Higgins
North Melbourne’s form revival is a major spanner in the works for a number of clubs anticipating the Kangaroos were set for a rebuild. That could have potentially opened the door to poach Shaun Higgins. At 31 years of age, he no doubt wants to play for a contender. Does his timeline match up with the improving kids at Arden Street?

Ben Brown
Still only 26 years old, Ben Brown would be hot property if he hit the open market. He’s on track to kick 60 goals for the third successive year and the Roos would not want to lose him. Any rival that comes knocking better be prepared to pay up.

THREE ROOS RIVAL RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING
Jamie Elliott
The Magpies have no shortage of forward depth. And with the development of Callum Brown this year, that has only got deeper. Where does it leave Jamie Elliott? He is still unsigned beyond this year and given what he is capable of when fully fit, he could be the ideal low risk, high reward trade.

Jack Martin
The Roos have struck out on big names before but they continue to ask the questions. Jack Martin would be a brilliant addition to a club looking for some silky skills, both up forward and in the midfield. They will have to make a big financial commitment though, with Martin said to be in the mix for a $700,000 offer.

Peter Ladhams
A 202cm ruckman, Peter Ladhams has been racking up massive numbers in the SANFL all season. However, he is stuck behind Scott Lycett and Paddy Ryder in the Port Adelaide pecking order. Regardless of what Todd Goldstein decides to do with his future, Ladhams is just 21 and would be a good fit at North. He is out of contract at the end of the season.

The Kangaroos were one of the most active clubs during the 2018 off-season, adding a host of mature age recruits. Jared Polec and Jasper Pittard came over as a package deal from Port Adelaide and have largely been a success. Polec’s disposals numbers are slightly down on last year but his scoring output has increased. Meanwhile, Pittard hasn’t missed a game on the backline. Ex-Sun Aaron Hall is currently taking time away from the club to focus on his mental health. Former Demon Dom Tyson has been forced to spend time in the VFL.

908690c7e61d150452af2ca8a899ae97

North Melbourne appears to have struck gold at the draft. Highly touted No. 8 pick Tarryn Thomas is a rising star in every sense with Rhyce Shaw recently saying, “I haven’t seen a kid come into the competition and be so clean like that.” Bailey Scott has also picked up a Rising Star nomination, with the Roos having the most nominees of any side in the competition. Parting ways with Braydon Preuss hasn’t impacted the club negatively, with the inconsistent ruckman playing just three games for Melbourne this year.

Wouldn't that be at least a 7/10 based on their own prognosis?

So we wouldn't want to trade Ben Brown but "any rival that comes knocking better be prepared to pay up."

In other revelations I am entrenched living in Australia but would consider emigrating to Kabul if someone was prepared to pay up.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wouldn't that be at least a 7/10 based on their own prognosis?

So we wouldn't want to trade Ben Brown but "any rival that comes knocking better be prepared to pay up."

In other revelations I am entrenched living in Australia but would consider emigrating to Kabul if someone was prepared to pay up.

I hear Kabul is in the market for a few players. They have had a bad run with explosive midfielders suffering career ending injuries.

In:
Aaron Hall - currently a miss
Jasper Pittard - massive win
Jared Polec - clear win
Dom Tyson - currently a miss

Out: Ryan Clarke - would have been in the VFL
Braydon Preuss - has this bloke played a whole game yet?

And we slayed the draft.

6/10 is under rating.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
In:
Aaron Hall - currently a miss
Jasper Pittard - massive win
Jared Polec - clear win
Dom Tyson - currently a miss

Out: Ryan Clarke - would have been in the VFL
Braydon Preuss - has this bloke played a whole game yet?

And we slayed the draft.

6/10 is under rating.

Polec has been good, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a "clear" win. We paid a reasonably steep price and he's having a statistically worse year than last year.

Devon Smith was traded for less and won * B&F in his first season.
Brisbane got Charlie Cameron for almost identical value.
Hawthorn got Tom Mitchell for #14
Geelong got Dangerfield for essentially #9 & an additional second rounder.

I'd classify those as clear wins.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Polec has been good, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a "clear" win. We paid a reasonably steep price and he's having a statistically worse year than last year.

I reckon Jared's on a par with last season, it's just that we're not using him around the contest that much.

Polec has been good, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a "clear" win. We paid a reasonably steep price.

Pick 11 and 48 for

Polec, Pittard and this year's forth.

How do you devide what for what in that?

It wasn't pick 11 for Polec straight up.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers

To be fair, the game style we were playing in the first half dozen games would’ve made Carey look like David Bourke..

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I reckon Jared's on a par with last season, it's just that we're not using him around the contest that much.

He's definitely getting less contested ball than last year.

But his meters gained are also down 15% and so is his disposal efficiency, despite playing more outside.

He's kicking more goals this year, but he's got less goal assists and score involvements despite playing in a more attacking role.

He's spending more time on the ground than last year as well, so it's a statistical drop across the board.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'd say given Pittard is a part of that trade then it would classify it as a win.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I classify Pittard as the third rounder/fourth rounder pick swap component. Definitely a win.

Polec was always going for the #11, regardless, we were waving it around everywhere.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He's definitely getting less contested ball than last year.

But his meters gained are also down 15% and so is his disposal efficiency, despite playing more outside.

He's kicking more goals this year, but he's got less goal assists and score involvements despite playing in a more attacking role.

He's spending more time on the ground than last year as well, so it's a statistical drop across the board.

What about his negating factors?

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate

As soon as you post nonsense like this it renders your opinion on trading irrelevant. Trades don't really happen like that.

Heard Larkey is keen on the dogs because they're going to let him paint murals all over western oval.

Dumont is an elite-rated wingman according to CD and plenty on this board.

Tyson is an above average inside mid who won't be getting a game with us any time soon.

Thompson is an above average defender with fantastic leadership ability still playing good footy.

Carlton will do well to break out of the bottom 4 next year.

Therefore Dumont + 21 = something close to 10.

Tyson and Thompson may not make up the rest of the value add but it's not that far off especially with their need for senior bodies who may want to play regularly.

As GWS already have pick 9(shiel) and look to have an early first round academy (Green) they will likely want to get picks next year or trade down due to the early bid.

I am all for constructive criticism but surely all these factors must be taken into consideration.

When 29 Y/O Bryce Gibbs gets you 2x R1 selections, anything is possible.

Lachie Weller was worth a pick 2 too, apparently - know your customer OF.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Dumont is an elite-rated wingman according to CD and plenty on this board.

Tyson is an above average inside mid who won't be getting a game with us any time soon.

Thompson is an above average defender with fantastic leadership ability still playing good footy.

Carlton will do well to break out of the bottom 4 next year.

Therefore Dumont + 21 = something close to 10.

Tyson and Thompson may not make up the rest of the value add but it's not that far off especially with their need for senior bodies who may want to play regularly.

As GWS already have pick 9(shiel) and look to have an early first round academy (Green) they will likely want to get picks next year or trade down due to the early bid.

I am all for constructive criticism but surely all these factors must be taken into consideration.

When 29 Y/O Bryce Gibbs gets you 2x R1 selections, anything is possible.

Lachie Weller was worth a pick 2 too, apparently - know your customer OF.

Gibbs and Weller were both appalling trades for the receiving clubs. Yes it happens, but it's not the norm.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Pick 11 and 48 for

Polec, Pittard and this year's forth.

How do you devide what for what in that?

It wasn't pick 11 for Polec straight up.
I classify Pittard as the third rounder/fourth rounder pick swap component. Definitely a win.

Polec was always going for the #11, regardless, we were waving it around everywhere.
You also have to take into account the Thomas situation and the likelihood that he was going before 11 anyway.

The whole trade is a clear, resounding win.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Posted a few days ago about the out of contract group:

Goldstein (announcement)
Durdin (announcement)
Larkey (announcement)
Hayden (std. 2yr draftee contract)
Watson (announcement)
Wright (announcement)
Thompson (announcement)
Hrovat

Would also be interesting who from the 2020 out of contract group is worth rolling over early.

My priorities would be the bolded. Hopefully some of these start trickling in once the coaching situation is sorted out.

Wood (announcement)
Simpkin (announcement)
Brown (announcement)

Macmillan (announcement)
Higgins (announcement)
Xerri (announcement)
Turner (announcement)
Garner (announcement)
Vickers-Willis (announcement)
Murphy (announcement)
Zurhaar (announcement)
Ahern (announcement)