Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Can anyone help me out?

I've seen a few people comment that Richo refused to be interviewed by us but still got the job. And that is so St Kilda. Can someone please provide a link where it says he refused to be interviewed. That's not how I remember it nor how it was reported at the time.

Richo refused to apply for the job full stop because of his position at Port Adelaide. That is a sign of integrity, not arrogance.

We continued to pursue him and he changed his mind and said he was interested in the job and then it appears we told his manager the job was his.

Richardson initially declined to be interviewed for the position, but St Kilda was persistent in pursuit of the 48-year-old.

He threw his hat into the ring after speaking with Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley and chief executive Keith Thomas.

"I had spoken to St Kilda a couple of weeks earlier and mentioned that it's something that unfortunately I can't do at this stage given my commitment at Port Adelaide," Richardson said.

"Then as things unfolded, on Tuesday night my manager rang and said they're ready to go, in terms of presenting to the board.
Sorry you've posted this in the wrong spot - this is the - "When the facts don't fit the narrative then just make it up" thread.

Yes strange how crap becomes fact if you repeat often enough. The thing we now he going yet we still knock the crap out of him. Wish someone could explain the point of that. Seems like internet hero stuff to me.

It's funny how it's a fact we turned crap as well. I think we should be respectful to Richo but people are entitled to critique his work until he's no longer the coach.

Is this showing the players goal kicking accuracy?
SEN posted an article about this yesterday and had Membrey as our best with a percentage of 63.6%

I got it from our sports analytics guru today

I don’t hate Richo. I don’t dislike Richo. He seems like a decent bloke who has had one of the most difficult jobs in the AFL over the last 6 years.

But it seems like this year will be his last and I’m comfortable with that.

I’ve heard stories about Richo dismissing certain players (Goddard and White come to mind) and I don’t know if they’re true or not. Then again these stories surround most coaches.

I wish him all the best with whatever he does. But I do think the Saints will benefit from some new blood at the top.

And although I may appear to be a main culprit with some of my memes, there is really no malice behind them. I don’t post them anywhere apart from our little forum here as I don’t wish to partake in any public ridiculing of our coach.

They are done not so much to belittle Richo but rather to release a little pressure on my 47 year member/no premiership brain.

Apologies if they offend anyone.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t hate Richo. I don’t dislike Richo. He seems like a decent bloke who has had one of the most difficult jobs in the AFL over the last 6 years.

I’ve heard stories about Richo dismissing certain players (Goddard and White come to mind) and I don’t know if they’re true or not. Then again these stories surround most coaches.

I wish him all the best with whatever he does. But I do think the Saints will benefit from some new blood at the top.

And although I may appear to be a main culprit with some of my memes, there is really no malice behind them. I don’t post them anywhere apart from our little forum here as I don’t wish to partake in any public ridiculing of our coach.

They are done not so much to belittle Richo but rather to release a little pressure on my 47 year member/no premiership brain.

The memes are great. You are one of the great contributors & entertainers (we are all here for entertainment) of this forum, no need to apologise. I really with I could make memes.

Don't offend pretty sure everyone loves the memes
I think 6 years without finals time is up and a fresh voice will do wonders

Yes strange how crap becomes fact if you repeat often enough. The thing we now he going yet we still knock the crap out of him. Wish someone could explain the point of that. Seems like internet hero stuff to me.

No one can convince me that Richo would not have put everything he had into the job. Who does not want to be a success after all?

Yes, according to us, on the periphery, he could have been more flexible with players and game plan, he could have been a better media performer ( never bothered me personally), he could have been more this and less that....but pretty sure he did the best he could.

As it turned out, his best was not good enough - whether due to list, injuries, tactical nous or assistants around him, so we move on...again.

BUT at the end of the day the responsibility lies squarely at the feet of the people who hired (and then extended) him.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
funny thing is maybe it was necessary. maybe we had to walk away for all forms of government to move in and back the development of moorabbin.

sometimes you just have to walk away and wait for the environment to change.

You excused me of posting something really dumb last week.

At least my post was only really dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe me, we’ve really needed the light relief.
( Here’s your opportunity to meme yourself beng knighted for services rendered.)

Arise, Sir Dr Spaceman!

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
ok a few things ....
firstly lets not forget that Richo is a person ... he has worked his butt off for the past 6 years to deliver us the one thing we all want .. he hasnt been successful at getting us that and ultimately its likely to cost him his job .. lets perhaps have a little bit of respect for the bloke to say he hasnt tried hard to make us a better club would be false.. remember when he came to our club we were hurting big time and for all his faults he did the team thing by playing the kids and getting experiance into them so we could see who had potential and who didnt.. it would have been easy for him to fill our team at that time with average older guys to pinch a couple of cheapy wins but he didnt he followed the path and blooded more players in his coaching time than any of our previous coaches.. to place all the blame on him i think is misguided, he wasnt a terrible coach he just isnt a great coach and with the team we have anything short of a great coach wasnt going to cut it and thats without taking into account the unforseen roadblocks put in his path to be successful .. i think its poor form fo us to be celebrating his pending sacking for all his failings as a coach for us he has also been a great promoter of our club he has towed the club party line he has respectfully seen out the retirment of some great club legends giving them the respect they have deserved , he has always had time for the members and fans and his relationship with the players has been strong enough to see every player we have wanted to keep stay with the club ...
so i get his time has come and his sacking will lead to an appointment of a coach who can deliver what we all want .. but insted of calling him childish (and not very witty to be honest) names maybe we should just say thanks for your service to our club Richo..

It's really not about how hard you try or how nice you are to fans at this level, it's about results and this guy has failed miserably on all levels after being given an unprecedented amount of time to turn the side around.

I'm also going to call BS on the suggestion of playing or developing the kids, richo has preferred and always picked older and stodgier sides every single week outside of injuries. I think he has absolutely gone for the cheapy wins, but it has back-fired, meanwhile most of our early pick draft players have only played a fraction of games compared to others.

Which veteran players did he leave out of the side regularly early days?

After being one of the least successful coaches to ever see 100+ AFL games, he'll just have to console himself from the childish internet nick-names with the millions of dollars he has taken home.

A lot of people wanted him gone long ago, only an absolute howler of contract bungles means we are still here wondering when the inevitable will happen.

Thanks for trying hard richo, and no disrepect but we've been a terrible side under your watch and look worse than we did 6 years ago when we finished 18th.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Tim Membrey - joined St Kilda as a delisted free agent who couldn't get a game at Sydney. 85 games averaging just shy of 2 goals a game. Improved or not?

Josh Battle Pick 39 - forward now playing as as tall defender - last full game 20 possessions including 11 marks. Improved or not?

Josh Bruce - joined Saints in 2014 as a failed chb. Now averaging 1.5 goals a game in a team with the worst disposal skills in the league. Kicked 6 in his last outing. Improved or not?

Jimmy Webster Pick 42 - Starting 22 already surpassed the average amount of games played by a Pick 42. Improved or not?

Jack Sinclair Pick 1 Rookie draft - 80 games. Improved or not?

PS Do you really really think that the most valuable use of a Senior Coach's time is to spend it watching the 4th in line ruckman run around for Frankston when the coach of Frankston was the ruck coach at St Kilda?

If he did it would show some care, integrity and professionalism, none of which Chobot has much of, along with the ability to inspire, enthuse and motivate.

On the plus side, he could be put in charge of the sleep and nap roster. His ability to drop people into a topor has no equal.

Sep 15, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
funny thing is maybe it was necessary. maybe we had to walk away for all forms of government to move in and back the development of moorabbin.

sometimes you just have to walk away and wait for the environment to change.

This is the most laughable thing ever.
Archie Fraser was too goddamn headstrong and ****ed the Club over. The decision was pure pigheadedness because he couldn't get some extra pokies and destroy the Moorabbin Bowls Club.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
So you don’t richo but now you also don’t rate Lyon. Have you actually thought it maybe the players fault or the recruiters for picking that player. I always laugh about lynch. He played pretty the same amount of games in his first season at Adelaide as he did in his last at the saints. Why didn’t their coach motivate him in his first year. Lynch has even said it was all his fault and it took him till his second year at Adelaide to work it out. And you know development is not handled by the coach apart from on field. Some players benefit from playing mainly seconds early and some benefit from playing mainly ones.
Where did I say I didn't rate Lyon? I rate him as the second best coach in our history. Read my post again, darling. It states Lynch didn't work hard enough.

I know you rate me. Hell hath no fury like a plugger scorned. I have not scorned you so don't take offence. I love you and your crazy posting as much as ever. My world would be poorer without it.

And sack the Chobot.

Last edited:

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.

Your memes is why I appointed you as morale officer in my dream administration, Spetchamen. You are a highlight on here. Piss taking that puts the situation into it's rightful perspective. It's only footy afterall. Long may you take the piss, Doctor.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Lynch was under Lyon.

Stanley left ages ago.

Crisps was never staying.

Stanley, when did he get traded out, and Big Boy?

I'll give you Hickey, but Minch and Weller or Goddard?

Sorry mate but you're so far off track I might call you Mike Leyland.
I did day they weren't all Chobot's fault. Did say we've been poor since GT left. I think you'll find all those I mentioned have left or been traded/discarded post 2007. Cheers.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
It's really not about how hard you try or how nice you are to fans at this level, it's about results and this guy has failed miserably on all levels after being given an unprecedented amount of time to turn the side around.

I'm also going to call BS on the suggestion of playing or developing the kids, richo has preferred and always picked older and stodgier sides every single week outside of injuries. I think he has absolutely gone for the cheapy wins, but it has back-fired, meanwhile most of our early pick draft players have only played a fraction of games compared to others.

Which veteran players did he leave out of the side regularly early days?

After being one of the least successful coaches to ever see 100+ AFL games, he'll just have to console himself from the childish internet nick-names with the millions of dollars he has taken home.

A lot of people wanted him gone long ago, only an absolute howler of contract bungles means we are still here wondering when the inevitable will happen.

Thanks for trying hard richo, and no disrepect but we've been a terrible side under your watch and look worse than we did 6 years ago when we finished 18th.
This long ago stuff is complete hindsight unless of course one year is long ago. A couple might have wanted him gone in 2017. God knows why but people somehow think the extension included 2018. It didn’t. We still win 4 games last year no matter if he was extended or not. It has cost a year. As for looking worth than 6 years ago I’m guessing every side does because the standard isn’t as good.

Anyway thanks richo. Not good enough. Tried your best. And now we move on after one wasted year. A year destroyed by injury and if the same thing was to have happened to a new coach probably a good thing richo was still coaching. Imagine the crap the new coach would cop on here. If some can find fault with Lyon coaching after 2 grand finals then how would a new coach go. Maybe we need to look in the mirror and realise we are always after an excuse never to blame the players because that means a real long haul to success.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Where did I say I didn't rate Lyon? I rate him as the second best coach in our history. Read my post again, darling. It states Lynch didn't work hard enough.

I know you rate me. Hell hath no fury like a plunger scorned. I have not scorned you so don't take offence. I love you and your crazy posting as much as ever. My world would be poorer without it.

And sack the Chobot.
Sorry I must have read it wrong when you said a good coach would have got the best out of lynch. Wasn’t Lyon coaching so based on that you rated him at best fair.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Overall Ross has to be judged as a good coach. His results speak for themselves. However, where Lynch and other youngsters were concerned he was very ordinary. A chink in his armour. Perhaps if he wasn't as stubborn he may have won us a flag or two.

As for the Chobot, his overall results show he is a poor coach. Difference is, while Ross had his faults, Chobot has so many they have rendered him ineffective. No one but you and me is perfect, Plugs. 😀

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Overall Ross has to be judged as a good coach. His results speak for themselves. However, where Lynch and other youngsters were concerned he was very ordinary. A chunk in his armour. Perhaps if he wasn't as stubborn he may have won us a flag or two.

As for the Chobot, his overall results show he is a poor coach. Difference is, while Ross had his faults, Chobot has so many they have rendered him ineffective. No one but you and me is perfect, Plugs. 😀
I don’t know chobot. Is he a robot. Sounds like one. And Lyon was better than good. He was at least very good and a kick away from being great. Not sure his stubbornness cost us flags. The reason we were so good is that era was the players working to a system. That meant guys who didn’t look great got games. And also due to pathetic managing of the salary cap we had no depth so had to get ordinary players from other clubs.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Cho's own words from 2013:

COACHING PHILOSOPHY
Richardson: "The game, your team's performance and the outcome is a direct reflection of your program. Success won't come unless you create an environment where players have an understanding of the role they have to play and clarity of the way they need to go about it."

BIGGEST CHALLENGE
Richardson: "This is just a fantastic opportunity to coach my own team and that will mean helping the St Kilda Football Club to get back on track again."

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
I don’t know chobot. Is he a robot. Sounds like one. And Lyon was better than good. He was at least very good and a kick away from being great. Not sure his stubbornness cost us flags. The reason we were so good is that era was the players working to a system. That meant guys who didn’t look great got games. And also due to pathetic managing of the salary cap we had no depth so had to get ordinary players from other clubs.
Fair points plugs. Of course players need to share responsibility. I'm a fan of Ross's work, and 20/20 hindsight is the best sort of vision. Judging Ross overall, he did well. Missed by that much! He did have a few weak spots. I wish he was coaching us now. He would be a huge upgrade on Chobot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back