Bluemour Discussion Thread XVI - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this some sort of info or a hunch? Seems unlikely to me with 7 games to go. Probably misses two more. Extremely unlikely to have a recurrence of his injury type. Reckon they would be keen to pump the extra 4 or 5 games into him and Charlie would be charging at the bit to be out there.
I don’t do hunches it’s being discussed and 100% on the table.

It's not that surprising is it? He took forever to get over his bone bruising and was proppy when he did play (except WB game).

You don't * around with knees especially with freak athletes like Charlie who could land awkwardly any minute of the game.

Not saying I support the decision but it's worth a discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You actually make a good case to bring him in this week to take marchy's role as that is exactly what we would be looking for.
I suspect that you have painted
yourself into a corner with your goddard opinion. It is clearly not insane to consider keeping him on the list as he has exceeded all expectations as a rookie. I dont think that he is the answer either. He is a rookie kpd that looks as though he could fill a role if required. At 22 and with a lot of injuries there is every chance that he has improvement in him - just look at levi's trajectory .
Rubbish. Levi's improvement has come from weight loss and the associated training adherence. He wasn't coming off a major, physically debilitating injury.

Strongly disagree that he has exceeded expectations as a rookie. He is doing this year exactly what he was doing last year.

From memory, Jimmie had a very similar view with Teague when he was coaching the bull ants to GF’s.

He clearly watches a fair bit of the magoos

I just think we should be careful in having such black n white views in relation to players, there’s a few that have made people look silly over the last while
RE: Teague, if I recall correctly my issue with his efforts in the VFL was the he coached too much for results, and I felt it was coming at the expense of some development. Fraser has often been the polar opposite, and has basically tanked a decent VFL side this season.

There's a whole range of outcomes that can still occur with Goddard, it's just that most of them land on the side of him never making the grade. For that to change, he's got to lose weight, develop confidence and balance in his ankles, legs and achilles, and perhaps change his running style a bit, or at least learn to vary it a bit more so he can move a bit sharper out on the field.

Then, on top of all of that, his body has to substantially recover from those injuries.

I would keep Goddard as a rookie for another year, until Macreadie and or BSOS, passes him

Good insurance
Unless something radically changes over the next month, I'd sign Levi for a year and thank Hugh for his services. Let's see how Macreadie responds to this challenge as well.

I wholeheartedly reject the notion he was an "insane pick". That's just not correct, whichever way you choose to spin it.

Goddard was a highly rated junior who hasn't yet developed as expected, largely due to injury. He's still relatively young, and when we selected him we had just cut into our defensive depth by delisting Rowe and Glass-McCasker.

He was invited to train with the club through the preseason and impressed, so who are you to say he didn't deserve another opportunity?

Now he's here and from all reports he has been very solid for the Northern Blues all year - so much so it looks as though he may play seniors this weekend.

It is absolutely laughable that you readily dismiss that form and those opinions of him because of a poor piece of play here or there, or even a poor performance.

It is just as laughable that you can't let go of your preconceived ideas about a player when evaluating their worth. Let's put aside the fact you think it was "insane" to select him in the first place - now he's here and performing - you think it's insane to reward him for it?

Please.

What would truly be insane would be to pick him up, watch him do everything asked of him, and not reward him for it, be it with senior selection or another contract.

What message are you sending to him or any other prospective footballer who we're interested in? Not a great one, I'll tell you that much.
I'm not dismissing him based on what he does. I am ruling him out of likely being a worthwhile member of an AFL list based on he cannot do, and also what he does not look like doing again due to injury.

Preconceived ideas? I'd seen him play football! Russell has good recovery and training techniques, not fairy dust. Goddard probably needs 6-12 months out of the game to see if he can re-develop his body, not another year in the AFL system. I've seen this dance so many times now that I lose patience with football department staff who pan for gold in this way.

Frankly, if Goddard has done everything asked of him, then we have the wrong set of criteria for assessing performance. This isn't a question of character or mental aptitude and fortitude, it's how well his body holds up (he's lost a yard) and how his skill set translates to this grade of football under those circumstances.

I hope he plays his guts out and surprises me, and then he follows up week after week. The beauty about this kind of situation is that he's already in a position to seize upon any luck that falls his way, I just don't think it will.

Thing is Maclure was probably right. Judds training wheels comment was disrespectful to long term assistant coaches right across the league. These men have a lot of experience in football.

Judds choice of words was poor. Judd is actually the guy with training wheels on, as football director.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m sure Juddy used the same term post BB’s sacking as I remember that being said on FC (without the furore).

I’m sure Juddy used the same term post BB’s sacking as I remember that being said on FC (without the furore).
Yeah, it's the second time he's used it. Not an off the cuff comment, rather one I suspect has been discussed by the powers that be. I can see the concern caused by the comment however it most likely reflects the reality behind closed doors, similar to his 'lukewarm' support for Bolton when pressed on that issue.
Perhaps it's best he says nothing, even if he's being honest; don't want to upset the masses and have Liddle clean up the mess.

I actually think there's a strong chance that, if he were to make that offer, he'd be told to bugger off. Not sure he would be the most popular ex-player with some of our hierarchy.
Somehow Robert Walls managed to be welcomed back to the club despite going hard at us in the media over the years.

It's all good & well to be a passionate supporter of the club & speak as if you are only wanting what is best for the club, but if as an ex-player, particularly a multiple premiership player, you have something to offer to the club, it would be best to get down to the club instead of playing along with those in the media who make a sport of hammering our club.

We’re not happy unless we’re bagging someone.

The true meaning of Blue Baggers....

EDIT: Eskie beat me to it. I can't keep up with her, she's way too cool ;)

Last edited:
Are we talking to Greenwood from the crows ? Big bodied mid a good player. Also the Hawks fan pumping him up as the second coming now that their club has been linked to him. Lels.
Coniglio Greenwood surely they are premiers next year. 🙄

Coniglio would be crazy to go to hawthorn.

They are squeezing the end of the toothpaste tube.... Ain't much left.

I don't like the concept of putting someone in cotton wool for the season - unless there's only 1 or 2 games left. There's 7 weeks left, if he's out 2 more that's 5 games he'll be fit for. That's still nearly a qtr of the season you're just not going to play him for. If he's fit, he's fit.

Last edited:
If Daisy doesn't go around again it will be a loss for our club.

Obviously we will Docherty coming back (touch wood) but I think we still need another experienced half back flanker and Simmo looks like he's on his last legs. If we didn't have both Simmo and Daisy available this week who would we be playing at half back - opposite Newwy? Stocker, Willo and Schu. All three are young and Willo is injury prone.

Only way I could see Thomas going is if we brought in someone like Cunningham from the Swans.

Daisy basically lost his first couple of seasons to injury, not even the same injury that sidelined him at Collingwood. What we're now seeing is what Daisy is able to offer when fully fit. Just a shame he is now past his prime, but if his form continues to justify selection, why would we not want him in our team? Experience like his can't be drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back