Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference in King's position and Rankine's? I can live with one of the three going (King) but they need to work hard on Lukosius or we'll have all the drama over both of them (will they/won't they) for most of next year.

I'd wait until my contract year as a draftee.
Why sign early?
Would you extend contracts at your job after 6 months or wait until 18 months?
King is likely to only improve his performance as he matures and might think he can sign for more.

I'd wait until my contract year as a draftee.
Why sign early?
Would you extend contracts at your job after 6 months or wait until 18 months?
King is likely to only improve his performance as he matures and might think he can sign for more.
I guess it stops other clubs coming after them for a little while. With the whole "go home" factor.

I guess it stops other clubs coming after them for a little while. With the whole "go home" factor.
It's not like the other clubs are directly calling Jack on his mobile every 3 days.
He can just direct everything through his manager.

It's not like the other clubs are directly calling Jack on his mobile every 3 days.
He can just direct everything through his manager.
Its not unusual clubs do this. Carlton did it with Walsh and port with their draftees. Pies did it with stevo last year.

Its not unusual clubs do this. Carlton did it with Walsh and port with their draftees. Pies did it with stevo last year.
I know thats what the clubs have done. Its obviously beneficial from the clubs perspective to sign up their players early.
I'm talking about it from the players perspective.

I know thats what the clubs have done. Its obviously beneficial from the clubs perspective to sign up their players early.
I'm talking about it from the players perspective.
From a players perspective, it’s beneficial to re-sign early.

You’re locked in with guaranteed money for four years, even if you suffer a career ending injury.

As Cal Twomey has said many times, these early picks who sign on early are the most overpaid players in the league, because they’re getting paid way beyond their performances.

And if a kid starts performing better than any one expected in his 3rd or 4th year, his manager goes to the club and renegotiates a new, better and longer deal.

From a players perspective, it’s beneficial to re-sign early.

You’re locked in with guaranteed money for four years, even if you suffer a career ending injury.

As Cal Twomey has said many times, these early picks who sign on early are the most overpaid players in the league, because they’re getting paid way beyond their performances.

And if a kid starts performing better than any one expected in his 3rd or 4th year, his manager goes to the club and renegotiates a new, better and longer deal.

If you extend your contact do you finish your current contract with rookie pay before increasing or do you automatically increase to second contract pay?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You have to complete the first two years at draftee wages.

That's not necessarily true. He can negotiate with the Club to have the terms of his new contract included in lieu of the remainder of his existing contract.

(d) The parties to a Standard Playing Contract, which contract has not been terminated, may vary the terms of the contract or renew the contract for a further term/s, by written agreement of the parties.

If you extend your contact do you finish your current contract with rookie pay before increasing or do you automatically increase to second contract pay?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not necessarily. it's a decision taken and agreed to by both parties. as listed in the AFL rules.

22. Player’s Contract
22.1 Standard Playing Contract

(d) The parties to a Standard Playing Contract, which contract has not been terminated, may vary the terms of the contract or renew the contract for a further term/s, by written agreement of the parties.

Not necessarily. it's a decision taken and agreed to by both parties. as listed in the AFL rules.

22. Player’s Contract
22.1 Standard Playing Contract

Except the Rookie contract that all draftees sign is not considered a Standard Playing Contract.

All National Draft rookies have to complete their first two years at draftee wages. They can negotiate an extension while on their rookie contract, but the higher wages don't begin until their third year.

Except the Rookie contract that all draftees sign is not considered a Standard Playing Contract.

All National Draft rookies have to complete their first two years at draftee wages. They can negotiate an extension while on their rookie contract, but the higher wages don't begin until their third year.

I interpret the rules regarding contracts differently to you then. I'm only referring to the Contract as such

22.5 First Year Player (a) When a first year Player is first drafted by an AFL Club, that Player and the AFL Club shall enter into a Standard Playing Contract for a minimum term of two years except in the case of a Player who has previously been drafted as a Rookie or where the Player is over 23 years of age by 31 December in the year in which he is selected by a Club.

As I read that, a player signs a 2yr contract but it doesn't mention there that this contract can't be re-negotiated at any time during that 2 yrs, same as any Standard Playing Contract.
However you may have information that I'm unaware of, from another section of the Rules that forbids that from happening for 1st yr players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"We're comfortable where they're at," Dew said on Friday morning.

"We don't want to sell anything, we want them to make their own decision based on what they see around the club.

"With that knowledge, we're really comfortable they'll make the right call and we look forward to that."

I interpret the rules regarding contracts differently to you then. I'm only referring to the Contract as such

22.5 First Year Player (a) When a first year Player is first drafted by an AFL Club, that Player and the AFL Club shall enter into a Standard Playing Contract for a minimum term of two years except in the case of a Player who has previously been drafted as a Rookie or where the Player is over 23 years of age by 31 December in the year in which he is selected by a Club.

As I read that, a player signs a 2yr contract but it doesn't mention there that this contract can't be re-negotiated at any time during that 2 yrs, same as any Standard Playing Contract.
However you may have information that I'm unaware of, from another section of the Rules that forbids that from happening for 1st yr players.
The only example I remember was Tom Boyd getting picked up for millions after one year but recall the media pushing how he had to serve one more year at base wages first.

I don't have the link, but has been posted on the Lions board a few times before.

The first time I read it, was when we were discussing Tom Boyd's transfer to the Bulldogs form GWS. Boyd moved at the end of the first year of AFL, he moved to the Bulldogs, was still on his rookie contract for his second year, then started his $1m a year deal in his third year.

OK, I got off my proverbial arse, and went and found it. Same document on the AFLPA website, you quoted before, scroll down to page 66 and it starts from there.

1. Base and Senior Match Payments
(a) An AFL Club shall pay each Player it employs other than a first year draft choice Player, a second year Player, a Rookie Player or a Player promoted from the Rookie List, a minimum base payment per annum and a minimum Senior Match payment per Senior Match as set out in the table below:

2. First Year Players
(a) An AFL Club shall pay each first year draft choice Player it employs the base payments and Senior Match payments per Senior Match set out in the following table:

1. (d) A first year draft choice Player shall not be entitled to, nor shall an AFL Club, pay a first year Player more than the amounts prescribed by this item 2, other than:
    1. (i) reasonable relocation expenses and living allowances as set out in item 13 of this Schedule C;
    2. (ii) bereavement assistance (paid to a Player or an Associate of a Player) up to a limit of $2,000, or any other amount as approved by AFL, in the event of a bereavement (or other genuine hardship) affecting the Player; and
    3. (iii) any incentive bonus a Player receives for finishing in the top ten of the AFLClub’s best and fairest award.

3. Second Year Players
  1. (a) An AFL Club shall pay each Second Year Player it employs a base payment and a Senior Match payment per Senior Match of the amounts set out in the following tables:

1. (e) A Second Year Player shall not be entitled to, nor shall an AFL Club pay a Second Year Player more than the amounts prescribed by this item 0, other than:
    1. (i) reasonable relocation expenses as set out in item 13 of this Schedule C;
    2. (ii) bereavement assistance (paid to a Player or an Associate of a Player) up to a limit of $2,000, or any other amount as approved by AFL, in the event of a bereavement (or other genuine hardship) affecting the Player; and
    3. (iii) any incentive bonus a Player receives for finishing in the top ten of the AFLClub’s best and fairest award.

I don't have the link, but has been posted on the Lions board a few times before.

The first time I read it, was when we were discussing Tom Boyd's transfer to the Bulldogs form GWS. Boyd moved at the end of the first year of AFL, he moved to the Bulldogs, was still on his rookie contract for his second year, then started his $1m a year deal in his third year.

OK, I got off my proverbial arse, and went and found it. Same document on the AFLPA website, you quoted before, scroll down to page 66 and it starts from there.

That would have taken some time to find. Nice job. Probably something I should have done, instead of watching that Jimmy Stewart movie, before shooting my mouth off. It looks like I should have read all the rules not just the ones relating to Contracts....

That would have taken some time to find. Nice job. Probably something I should have done, instead of watching that Jimmy Stewart movie, before shooting my mouth off. It looks like I should have read all the rules not just the ones relating to Contracts....
About 5 minutes. I looked through the contents section for player contracts, then skim read until I came to the draftee section.

That's about the standard response when a player is stalled - usually means the club's a little nervous but doesn't want to push too hard. Need to keep at least one of them to go with Rankine.

Was the club 'comfortable' with where they were at with Tom Lynch last year?

I recall being consistently told he was 'fully invested' in the club. If the club say Luko/King are 'fully invested' then turn the panic meter up to Defcon 1.

Was the club 'comfortable' with where they were at with Tom Lynch last year?

I recall being consistently told he was 'fully invested' in the club. If the club say Luko/King are 'fully invested' then turn the panic meter up to Defcon 1.
I’m not worried about Luko and the man who would B. King yet, but getting wins is the only way we’re going to get them to stay long term. If we have less than say 7-8 wins at about round 15 next year and they still haven’t signed, then they’re gone.

Cal Twomey on the GCSunscast podcast
Nice get guys. Well done.

Look forward to 17er grilling Twomey on one of our lesser known academy players who Twomey has never seen play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back