Lack of Respect for the History of our Great Game by Interstate Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Ironically the modern game is being destroyed by the vAFL administration partly as it also has the same ignorance about interstaters as the OP. Austraia is a big place and 99% of it exists outside the Melbourne CBD.

Ironically the modern game is being destroyed by the vAFL administration partly as it also has the same ignorance about interstaters as the OP. Austraia is a big place and 99% of it exists outside the Melbourne CBD.

Not once did I suggest I don’t respect interstate clubs and their histories or respective competitions. You are just making stuff up now.

Not once did I suggest I don’t respect interstate clubs and their histories or respective competitions. You are just making stuff up now.
Go for it. Celebrate your VFL history as we'll celebrate the WAFL and SA the SANFL. The greats from all of those competitions have the respect of all football fans. But dont pretend the VFL is the AFL.

The eagles don’t exist if it wasn’t for the VFL. Just a thank you will do the trick here

Haha. Many VFL clubs cease to exist if not for the Eagles and the royalties we paid. The fact we didn’t then just roll over and die seems to be a constant source of annoyance for many pining for the good old days.

Just a thank you would do the trick here.

Haha. Many VFL clubs cease to exist if not for the Eagles and the royalties we paid. The fact we didn’t then just roll over and die seems to be a constant source of annoyance for many pining for the good old days.

Just a thank you would do the trick here.

Have the greatest respect for the Eagles and what they have achieved. That is not the point of this thread. Just because we celebrate the current doesn't mean we ignore the past.

There seems to be an absolute lack of respect for the history of our great game by some Interstate clubs supporters simply because their clubs were not present.

Should Carlton forget about champions such as Nicholls and Jesaulenko because they only played in 12 team competitions?

Should the legends of the Colliers and Coventry’s be wiped from the record books because they played iagaindt ‘suburban’ teams’ ?

Should the Coleman medal be renamed the ‘Kennedy Medal’ because the great man played in a time of ‘amateur’ footballers and should Reynolds exploits be ignored?

Perhaps Bunton and Murray should be thrown on the scrap heap.

Maybe the immortal that is EJ Whitten should be relegated to suburban footballer and forget about Charlie Sutton.

Farmer and Goggin should be removed because they were not part of the AFL. Even Ablett’s 9 goal GF heroics would be wiped.

Matthews the greatest of them all would not be considered with the modern greats because he played in pre AFL

Barrassi and the immortal Demons teams of the 50s and 60s should not be celebrated due to the the fact they didn’t play in the expansion. The Norm Smith medal should be renamed

Grieg and Dempsey only played part time and could not possibly rank with the greats of today

Forget the Jack Dyer medal, Tigers fans should ignore his legend and rename it the Dusty medal. As for Hart and Bartlett they would not rate.

Pratt’s 150 and Nash’s heroics do not count

Baldock and Stewart ??? Who ???

And well we are at let’s rename ‘Up there Cazaly’ - Up there Modra
and the Jock McHale medal the ‘Simpson Medal’. No matter what era, no matter how long ago, a champion of the game is a champion of the game. They were the best on a level playing field against their peers. A Premiership whether Essendon in 1897 or West Coasts in 2018 was just as important. The history of our great game has been carved and written and for those who don’t like it the answer is simple. Stop whinging about our past and go and make your own history.

The problem you elude to is best demonstrated by the way Vic fan tryhards want to ignore Port Adelaides history.
The history of Victorian footy is not the history of Aussie Rules, its a part, a big part, but just as the history of Vic is not the history of Australia.

I'm a Subi supporter first & foremost, was a member of the Blues in the 80s & I'm telling you the VFL is not the AFL. West Coasts premierships, Subis flags are different, different comps, no different to the Blues flags.

Happy to acknowledge ALL our greats, be it SA, Tas, wherever.

The problem you elude to is best demonstrated by the way Vic fan tryhards want to ignore Port Adelaides history.
The history of Victorian footy is not the history of Aussie Rules, its a part, a big part, but just as the history of Vic is not the history of Australia.

I'm a Subi supporter first & foremost, was a member of the Blues in the 80s & I'm telling you the VFL is not the AFL. West Coasts premierships, Subis flags are different, different comps, no different to the Blues flags.

Happy to acknowledge ALL our greats, be it SA, Tas, wherever.

Never once have I disrespected Ports great history.

Isnt it amazing how non Victorian supporters forget that we wouldn’t have a national competition if it wasn’t for the VFL

Clearly you are across the history of the time the 1980s.

IF you want to look at it through a different but equally narrow view : if WA hadnt embraced the concept of a national comp, kicked the can for the VFL, there wouldnt be a national comp.

Here is a book that covers the era:

There seems to be an absolute lack of respect for the history of our great game by some Interstate clubs supporters simply because their clubs were not present.

Should Carlton forget about champions such as Nicholls and Jesaulenko because they only played in 12 team competitions?

Should the legends of the Colliers and Coventry’s be wiped from the record books because they played iagaindt ‘suburban’ teams’ ?

Should the Coleman medal be renamed the ‘Kennedy Medal’ because the great man played in a time of ‘amateur’ footballers and should Reynolds exploits be ignored?

Maybe the immortal that is EJ Whitten should be relegated to suburban footballer and forget about Charlie Sutton.

Farmer and Goggin should be removed because they were not part of the AFL. Even Ablett’s 9 goal GF heroics would be wiped.

Matthews the greatest of them all would not be considered with the modern greats because he played in pre AFL

Barrassi and the immortal Demons teams of the 50s and 60s should not be celebrated due to the the fact they didn’t play in the expansion. The Norm Smith medal should be renamed

Grieg and Dempsey only played part time and could not possibly rank with the greats of today

Forget the Jack Dyer medal, Tigers fans should ignore his legend and rename it the Dusty medal. As for Hart and Bartlett they would not rate.

Pratt’s 150 and Nash’s heroics do not count

Baldock and Stewart ??? Who ???

And well we are at let’s rename ‘Up there Cazaly’ - Up there Modra
and the Jock McHale medal the ‘Simpson Medal’. No matter what era, no matter how long ago, a champion of the game is a champion of the game. They were the best on a level playing field against their peers. A Premiership whether Essendon in 1897 or West Coasts in 2018 was just as important. The history of our great game has been carved and written and for those who don’t like it the answer is simple. Stop whinging about our past and go and make your own history.

What a pathetic straw man post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It comes down to whether it is a National organisation or a regional one. If you accept the premise that it is National then there is.no such thing as an interstate team. There is such a thing as non vic teams. Shame the " AFL" administration wants to have it's cake and eat it too. Wants all the benefits of a national.comp, but still runs the place like it is the VFL. Case and point locking in the GF at a venue for the next 40 years. By the Optus will have been expanded to seat 75k and other grounds may also be viable.

Never once have I disrespected Ports great history.

Not sure I personalised my reply, the problem you elude to ...

Now these guys are great examples of their time, only a buffoon would limit their greatness to the VFL.
No, I'm not suggesting you are a buffoon.
Bit like Gabbo, a Pies great, went home for the 1961 season, CHB in WAs win over Vic in the 1961 Carnival.

Try this thread

Don't forget to read the other side of the coin, or take a look at the glass house before throwing stones.

The VFL was in a messy state at the time, true. Several clubs would have gone under. Outside those Clubs, nobody much cared. There is indeed a compelling argument that letting nature take its course would have led to a much cleaner AFL structure.

WA football, however, was an utter basket case. All of it. Already bailed out from actual bankruptcy by the State government several times, massively in debt - with no means of serving the debt. Bringing in around as much revenue in a year as the VFL did in a month.

Literally unable to find the money to mow the grass or clean the shitters.

This is why, of all players in a move towards a "more national" competition, the WAFL was the voice of do it now desperation.

The only thing that stopped WA football from complete collapse was the award of an AFL licence to the WAFL, this licence immediately resold at a very substantial profit. Even 12 months delay on that and the whole thing would have fallen to bits.

So forget the myth you were fed at your mothers breast. WA did not save the VFL. The exact opposite is true.

Mmmmmmm, that says the same as you're replying to, lots of clubs in financial trouble. I'm not sure of the point of bringing this up, it is not a surprise new revelation it has been well documented ad nauseum ever since it was plastered over the 6 oclock news at the time.

If you're trying to bring a gotcha to the table you've failed, you've only brought a captain obvious.

If your point is that IF the VFL fell over because of those clubs that somehow the vic fan base would take their bat and ball, go home and just accept think again.

All of those clubs had marketability and entrepreneurial groups would have used them in some form, those clubs one way or the other had a market in their fan base.

The Fitzroy move is one HQ would rather forget, it's taken nearly 3 decades for Bris to rebuild a decent fan base that was lost to Fitzroy supporters back then. Lost those supporters from the game forever.

The VFL was in a messy state at the time, true. Several clubs would have gone under. Outside those Clubs, nobody much cared. There is indeed a compelling argument that letting nature take its course would have led to a much cleaner AFL structure.
So you reckon it was O.K for Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, bulldogs, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Fitzroy to go down the gurgler? Did you even bother to read the Info/ ? Can you give me some documentation to substantiate your claims? Words are empty without some form.. of expertise. Please remember it was a Vic document not a W.A one. And lets not forget the Commissioner was also Victorian.

So you reckon it was O.K for Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, bulldogs, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Fitzroy to go down the gurgler? Did you even bother to read the Info/ ? Can you give me some documentation to substantiate your claims? Words are empty without some form.. of expertise. Please remember it was a Vic document not a W.A one. And lets not forget the Commissioner was also Victorian.

That was not the Elliot plan, but not all of those you list woukld not have survived. That WA was not in the Elliot template certainly hurried WA footys thinking that a national comp was inevitable.

If you're trying to bring a gotcha to the table you've failed, you've only brought a captain obvious.
It was brought to the table because of Sprockets claim that Clubs were not financially in trouble. Make an effort and read the thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back