conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Mackay should be dropped from the SANFL team but Gallucci has been dreadful in every single game this season. Looks a bust. Very worrying

Agree but it’s obvious Gooch has ‘something’, he just can’t get the ball enough.

Given we’ve stuck with him so much this year it makes no sense to drop him now when he could’ve built up his form and confidence against the bottom placed side.

Why the F Mackay is playing I have no idea. Perfect game for Gooch, Jones, Hamill or Sholl to be in there.

And we’ll likely push Milera forward to let Mackay play around the midfield/wing rotations. FMD.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is it though ??

I don't think that's correct at all. We develop well but don't give them chances.
I’m tending to disagreement on that point.

We seem to develop to the point of winning a position at AFL level, but they stagnate, even our high end players.

Sloane has only ever won 1 AA selection, same as Smith. I’d wager M Crouch won’t win any more.

Laird has fallen off a cliff.

I haven’t checked but I’d reckon Sloane and M Crouch are our only midfield AA selections since the Roo, Goodwin and McLeod days. Maybe Thommo, can’t recall.

It’s pretty ordinary for such a long time. DT/Laird our only dual AA for well over a decade I reckon.

We think they’re stars but in reality it’s all pretty average.

Gallucci will shine in a better program

Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Love our ‘dads army ‘ emergencies ffs

Overall, I'm not too fussed with older emergencies, especially away games.

Younger kids should either be in the starting 22 or out and playing elsewhere. To be named emergency and sit out a week of footy (and no, running laps after the game doesn't do future selection chances any good), or fly interstate before a game to play straight off the plane doesn't do them any good for their game performance or development.

An older player should be better able to cope with being an emergency and if they miss a week, there is enough body of work to know what they offer.

That said, my main point is name the youth in the 22, and have older guys for 'break glass' emergencies.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

We seem to develop to the point of winning a position at AFL level, but they stagnate, even our high end players.

Sloane has only ever won 1 AA selection, same as Smith. I’d wager M Crouch won’t win any more.

I haven’t checked but I’d reckon Sloane and M Crouch are our only midfield AA selections since the Roo, Goodwin and McLeod days. Maybe Thommo, can’t recall.

It’s pretty ordinary for such a long time. DT/Laird our only dual AA for well over a decade I reckon.

Thats very true, my point being where do we draft these guys from ?? We havent had access to the best midfield talent in a very long time so its hard to tell

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

Yes, I think our current footy program is vastly overrated.

You could count on one hand the guys who have improved this year. The team direction as a whole is lacking, the coaching staff paper thin in terms of quality.

Thompson was AA in 2012 and of course Dangerfield was a 2xAA with us as well

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think thats right.

It gets distorted by the fact that we regularly bring players in and they do ok. Greenwood, Keath. Doedee when Lever leaves. ''Wow, Adelaide just keep finding players.''

You're right though, it's just good average players playing their role in a system. They do seem to stagnate or drop off, they dont go to the next level.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thats very true, my point being where do we draft these guys from ?? We havent had access to the best midfield talent in a very long time so its hard to tell
I don’t think that’s the issue at all. Look at Henderson and Cameron. Players we developed to best 22 from the rookie list. Both showed signs here and there.

Get them to Hawthorn, or suedo Hawthorn (Fagan at Bris) and suddenly they are AA squad players.

Hell even Shaun McKernan has gone from no career to carving out a career with ESS.

It’s fortunate MMcG went to Carlton who are worse than us

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jenkins has a bad match after returning from injury and aggregating his knee in the first 5 minutes and he is “next in line” to be dropped. Yet his form before injury was good. FMD :rolleyes:

If you're picked in the 22 you need to be fit and ready to go. If he was rushed back too soon then that's on Jenkins as well as our fitness team. If you can't contribute then stay the * out of the team. I'm judging Jenkins on his performance thinking that he is fully fit and ready to go. None of this aw poor JJ still has a sore knee, lets just accept his invisable showdown display.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dreadful ?? Spare me.

There was a passage of play last week (first quarter I think), where he had a dead cert 20 metres out in general play but had no left foot.

I had visions of 200 games more of that bullshit, like we’ve had to put up with from Douglas and Mackay.

Here’s a memo to any kid aspiring to be an AFL player, especially if you’re a small player and even more especially if you don’t have Charlie Cameron-esque speed.

LEARN HOW TO KICK AND HANDBALL ON YOUR OPPOSITE SIDE OR YOU ARE NOT WORTH A PINCH OF s**t TO ANYBODY.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide

Remember how Roo started off as an All Australian (94 I think) and then had those two years under Shaw where he went backwards and was almost a liability.

Then from Blight onwards became one of the greatest players of all time.

A bad program or s**t mentors can * you up badly.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
There was a passage of play last week (first quarter I think), where he had a dead cert 20 metres out in general play but had no left foot.

I had visions of 200 games more of that bulls**t, like we’ve had to put up with from Douglas and Mackay.

Here’s a memo to any kid aspiring to be an AFL player, especially if you’re a small player and even more especially if you don’t have Charlie Cameron-esque speed.

LEARN HOW TO KICK AND HANDBALL ON YOUR OPPOSITE SIDE OR YOU ARE NOT WORTH A PINCH OF s**t TO ANYBODY.
I must admit I yelled the same thing, because he does actually hit neat left foot passes from time to time.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I must admit I yelled the same thing, because he does actually hit neat left foot passes from time to time.

So does Douglas, but it’s the exception. They aren’t comfortable running onto that side and can’t do it under pressure.

Imagine Betts without his left. He’d be approximately half the player he is. It is THAT important for a small player.

OzSparrow

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manly, Glenelg, Liverpool FC
I think thats right.

It gets distorted by the fact that we regularly bring players in and they do ok. Greenwood, Keath. Doedee when Lever leaves. ''Wow, Adelaide just keep finding players.''

You're right though, it's just good average players playing their role in a system. They do seem to stagnate or drop off, they dont go to the next level.

I agree. The current AFL rankings for our "good average players" are:

Sloan - 14th (tagged out of existence)
Greenwood - 36th (body is stuffed)
Lynch - 66th (can't get on the field)
MCrouch - 72nd (not a match winner)
Laird - 86th (changed role this year given rule changes)
Jacobs - 98th (can't get on the field)

Other rankings dont matter.

Cogs in a wheel I am afraid to say.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm going to choose to focus on the positive. Douglas out and Stengle in. 2 things i've been banging the drum about all year, so at least there is that!

I'm not sure why I or anyone for that matter expected any more then this from our conservative selection committee. They would have had to have a short, honest and slightly uncomfortable conversation with player in his 30's... I'm surprised they were man enough to do it once this week, let alone 2-3 times!

I bet Campo cried in the shower for 40 mins after telling Dougy

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC

I had visions of 200 games more of that bulls**t, like we’ve had to put up with from Douglas and Mackay.

The fact the we’re playing still Mackay ahead of a guy we gave up first round draft picks for in 2017 tells you everything you need to know about our team selection panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Large 1

Club Legend
May 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you're picked in the 22 you need to be fit and ready to go. If he was rushed back too soon then that's on Jenkins as well as our fitness team. If you can't contribute then stay the fu** out of the team. I'm judging Jenkins on his performance thinking that he is fully fit and ready to go. None of this aw poor JJ still has a sore knee, lets just accept his invisable showdown display.
It’s not ‘aw poor Jenkins’, it is a realisation that players can’t just flick a switch and instantly perform and that there can be extenuating circumstances to a performance such as an in game injury.

One performance hardly makes a pattern and people going off and making earlier call do more to confirm their biases over objectivity.

adelcrows

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool,Yankees,E Freo!
To look back and think what could have been...

Far ot that makes you a little sad, we had such good spread and run from the backline to the forwards and now thats non existent, we were so confident and willing to take a risk that paid off more often than not due to the confidence and spread, what the hell happened!! How did we not win that GF the way we were playing :(

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Overall, I'm not too fussed with older emergencies, especially away games.

Younger kids should either be in the starting 22 or out and playing elsewhere. To be named emergency and sit out a week of footy (and no, running laps after the game doesn't do future selection chances any good), or fly interstate before a game to play straight off the plane doesn't do them any good for their game performance or development.

An older player should be better able to cope with being an emergency and if they miss a week, there is enough body of work to know what they offer.

That said, my main point is name the youth in the 22, and have older guys for 'break glass' emergencies.
Fair call

Posters don't understand developing is probably far more important in a development team and playing every week

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back