Opinion Commentary & Media III

Status
Not open for further replies.
if punters didn't lose the industry wouldn't exist.
Spot on. It's a profit driven business like any other. Like all other businesses, it will shift the goal posts to keep the odds/profits in its favour. Snake's post above about shuffling the blackjack shoe is a classic example of this.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
No longer would players have to travel off-site to visit part-time doctors and physios in the city.

Nobody else would have ever done that.

Didn't Brad also lay some of the bricks at the new facility in his spare time?

I reckon Craig Kelly (Brad's agent) has rang up Jon Anderson to write a fluff piece, as Brads stocks are dropping at an alarming rate.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Didn't Brad also lay some of the bricks at the new facility in his spare time?

I reckon Craig Kelly (Brad's agent) has rang up Jon Anderson to write a fluffer piece.

Efa - and nearer the pin after reading that.

Based on that write-up Brad is in line for the 2019-20 Allan Jeans, Australian of the Year and Nobel Peace and (Sports) Science awards plus probably a Pulitzer too.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Efa - and nearer the pin after reading that.

Based on that write-up Brad is in line for the 2019-20 Allan Jeans, Australian of the Year and Nobel Peace and (Sports) Science awards plus probably a Pulitzer too.

He put himself in a ridiculous position with his tactical shortsightedness.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
He put himself in a ridiculous position with his tactical shortsightedness.

Agree but stay on message.

We were a basket case when Brad took over. No leadership, no finals experience (only 3 of the previous 5 series) with no one on the list within touching distance of even knowing a premiership player.

The place was still scarred by the influence of guys like Glenn Archer, Adam Simpson and Brent Harvey while the next generation were equally rudderless journeymen like Drew Petrie, Scott Thompson, Michael Firrito and Brady Rawlings.

Brad came in, gave the whole club a giant culture hug, lifted us up in the palm of his hand and delivered us out of the abyss.

Show some gratitude.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Sorry mate, but I don't see it your way, and I don't think any gratitude is warranted here.

He had a reeeeal good run, had two list rebuilds, then asked for another one!!!!

He had to go.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Agree but stay on message.

We were a basket case when Brad took over. No leadership, no finals experience (only 3 of the previous 5 series) with no one on the list within touching distance of even knowing a premiership player.

The place was still scarred by the influence of guys like Glenn Archer, Adam Simpson and Brent Harvey while the next generation were equally rudderless journeymen like Drew Petrie, Scott Thompson, Michael Firrito and Brady Rawlings.

Brad came in, gave the whole club a giant culture hug, lifted us up in the palm of his hand and delivered us out of the abyss.

Show some gratitude.

Don't forget Arocca trying to move us to the Gold Coast. Brad literally attached himself to the club with a rope and anchored us on Dryburgh St!

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Sorry mate, but I don't see it your way, and I don't think any gratitude is warranted here.

He had a reeeeal good run, had two list rebuilds, then asked for another one!!!!

He had to go.

You might need to re-read Tef. We're on the same page ;)

SlyCunnington

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2010
Downtown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hope this is the correct interpretation.
GlassHalfFull3-640x480.jpg

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he checked out mentally, and he knew it or the club knew it he should’ve left there and then and we might have had a shot at finals

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
If he checked out mentally, and he knew it or the club knew it he should’ve left there and then and we might have had a shot at finals
I think the last few press conferences which sounded like 'best of Brad Scott' type re-runs without much connection to what was happening indicated this. I'm going to continue to advocate for not being completely disrespectful here. Everyone in a similar position goes through this when 'ending' a relationship, with a significant other, or an employer. You have to 'mentally check out' before you 'actually check out'. It's process, and it's natural.

If you're glad he's gone, then you should be glad he went through it, fairly quickly too, in my humble opinion. Him saying the place needed 'fresh air' was acknowledging he'd become stale (for others) and perhaps jaded (within himself.)

I still think the Brad deserves no gratitude attitude lacks class. He tried, he did 'okay', it didn't work, we move on and say thanks for the effort, which was not inconsiderable, even if things inevitably fell apart at the end.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I think the last few press conferences which sounded like 'best of Brad Scott' type re-runs without much connection to what was happening indicated this. I'm going to continue to advocate for not being completely disrespectful here. Everyone in a similar position goes through this when 'ending' a relationship, with a significant other, or an employer. You have to 'mentally check out' before you 'actually check out'. It's process, and it's natural.

If you're glad he's gone, then you should be glad he went through it, fairly quickly too, in my humble opinion. Him saying the place needed 'fresh air' was acknowledging he'd become stale (for others) and perhaps jaded (within himself.)

I still think the Brad deserves no gratitude attitude lacks class. He tried, he did 'okay', it didn't work, we move on and say thanks for the effort, which was not inconsiderable, even if things inevitably fell apart at the end.

I'd take it further and based on the way Ziebell said "the decision was made and we accept it" in a recent radio interview - conclude Brad's employment was ended by the club (not the other way around) and indeed he (Brad) has been respectful since with regards to his communications.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I’m not in the deserves no gratitude club. I’ve worked at a lot of places where the preference is to move on once either or both parties “check out” of the arrangement. It allows both parties to move on with minimal possible disruptions. In the AFL industry it’s probably more important considering it was early in the season and the remainder could be salvaged.

Absolutely he deserves credit for some good things but he also was given a very long period of time and the keys to two rebuilds, which is a lot more than many coaches get.

My point is if he had checked out it served himself or the club no good, and looks to have cost us a finals spot, so while yes he did some good things for the club this is a pretty average revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back