Club History Kane Cornes picks his best 10 Port Players

There's a level of mythology that comes with playing in a successful team and being a premeirship player, especially in our regrettably success starved AFL existence to date. Whether that's fair or not is up for debate. But certainly minus being premiership players, James, Wilson and Carr don't have top 10 CVs.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's a level of mythology that comes with playing in a successful team and being a premeirship player, especially in our regrettably success starved AFL existence to date. Whether that's fair or not is up for debate. But certainly minus being premiership players, James, Wilson and Carr don't have top 10 CVs.
I think that’s fair when you consider Francou, Primus, Lade and Shaun Burgoyne were AAs.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I think all three are remembered with immense fondness by the Port Adelaide community.

James was a beautiful footballer. Great skills and his first quarter in the 2004 Prelim will go down in folklore as teh only bloke who stood up to the onslaught.

Wilson was Port Adelaide through and through, tough and uncompromising.

Josh Carr was a tough little mongrel, always up for the niggle or fight, who stood up to much bigger players and never lost a Showdown.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure why Shaun Burgoyne would be in the conversation at all. Surely we would only consider his time played at Port and on that alone he doesn't get a look in.

We had 3 of the great ruckman of the competition in the naughties. I would say Blade would be the one pushing hardest for inclusion. Amazing tap work and a lovely set shot at goal. Spoon fed the great mids in that list.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is importance and relience a measure? Guys that turned games a number of times with their individual efforts.

Lade, Primus, Brogan, James, Francou and Wakelin are influential to our dominance. These guys were top 5 players at any club really. We've forgotten Wakelin.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Is Josh Francou left out of these lists mainly because of his well-known disdain for the One Club philosophy?

We haven't really had a pure midfielder of his calibre since he retired and no one has done as well in the Brownlow as him.

As a neutral I would have Wanganeen ahead of Tredea.

Granted Tredders played more games but I prefer Gavin as a footballer.
As a neutral I don’t think you could appreciate how thoroughly ’kick it to Warren’ was our entire gameplan

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I think Kane's article was more or less a tribute to Robbie Gray and his top ten was simply a means to show where Robbie Gray sits on the list. Kornes' top three are indisputable it is simply the order you want to put them in.

Personally I value consistency over a decade of service more than individual brilliance but some will not see it that way. I think Tredrea, Wanganeen and Robbie Gray were all outstanding performers over a long period as is evident in the All Australian honors and John Cahill Medals they won during their illustrious careers.

I am with those who find it strange that Brendan Lade and Josh Francou do not figure in Kane's top ten. I would have them in ahead of Travis Boak and Justin Westhoff. Boak and Westhoff have had long careers and would probably make our all time best 22 but they are not top ten imo.

As a neutral I would have Wanganeen ahead of Tredea.

Granted Tredders played more games but I prefer Gavin as a footballer. I would have Francou and Brendan Lade in their as well.
I think this is a good indication of just how little the melbourne market saw of tredders or appreciate just how good he was. Gavin was a pretty to watch footballer but tredrea was a dominant chf in a time where he was getting pretty much mugged every week by defenders.

I think this is a good indication of just how little the melbourne market saw of tredders or appreciate just how good he was. Gavin was a pretty to watch footballer but tredrea was a dominant chf in a time where he was getting pretty much mugged every week by defenders.
I’m pretty sure SOS still can’t unclench his hand from it being so full of Warren’s guernsey

I’m pretty sure SOS still can’t unclench his hand from it being so full of Warren’s guernsey
Him and Simon Prestigiapericomo or whatever his name was. Seemed to live on tredders shoulders.

Francou was just about the best stoppage player in the comp for 2 years pre-knee. Gun.

And probably the worst kick in the league. Never finished top 5 in a Port BnF. Massively overrated footballer.

Kane Cornes won 4 so not sure what the b&f says sometimes

That says Kane Cornes > Josh Francou by a long way.

Francou missing the 2004 season didn't hurt as he was the weakest link out of James, Burgoyne, Carr and Kornes.

Kane is spot on to leave Francou out of the top 10 - it would be strange if you were questioning his judgement considering he played a lot of footy with him.

I think Kane's article was more or less a tribute to Robbie Gray and his top ten was simply a means to show where Robbie Gray sits on the list. Kornes' top three are indisputable it is simply the order you want to put them in.

Personally I value consistency over a decade of service more than individual brilliance but some will not see it that way. I think Tredrea, Wanganeen and Robbie Gray were all outstanding performers over a long period as is evident in the All Australian honors and John Cahill Medals they won during their illustrious careers.

I am with those who find it strange that Brendan Lade and Josh Francou do not figure in Kane's top ten. I would have them in ahead of Travis Boak and Justin Westhoff. Boak and Westhoff have had long careers and would probably make our all time best 22 but they are not top ten imo.

Westhoff nah. Boak is though I think. Will likely be a 3 time AA and two time B&F winner by the end of this year.

If you think peak francou < kornes then yeh, maybe you didn't see enough footy in those peak francou years. And that is okay.

Kornes value to the team was much higher than Francous.

Was a season ticket holder from 1997 through until leaving Adelaide in 2007 - I saw enough to know - as did the coaches that vote for BnF ;)

Back