Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could say that guys like Ryan, Darcy and hamling fit is that speculative talent bundle as well
Perhaps.

I think his point was that we shouldn't be throwing medium range to low picks at talent that was taken very early but hasn't been able to show much more than glimpses or has slipped in the draft for reasons such as a potential injury concern.

Puregold

All Australian
Jul 29, 2009
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Perhaps.

I think his point was that we shouldn't be throwing medium range to low picks at talent that was taken very early but hasn't been able to show much more than glimpses or has slipped in the draft for reasons such as a potential injury concern.
Unless it is Michael Walters

Unless it is Michael Walters

It's a little bit before my time but I believe when he was drafted Michael Walters was a not so fit, fancy in bursts, true small-small forward without great speed.

He needed a coach to show him the destination at the end of a long road of hard work and make him want it.

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
Palmer.

It happens.

Or was he pushed, not young, not seduced, and to an expansion club with a massive salary cap; gee that is a lot of qualifiers.

Don’t know if Palmer had many options to be honest.
Knee reconstruction, ball burner and a bit of FIGJAM about him.
I reckon he was one of worst picks - especially at pick 7.

MrDanggazz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Shai Bolton what is he worth ? Suggested a late second round/early third over on the main trade board and got laughed at.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
You could say that guys like Ryan, Darcy and hamling fit is that speculative talent bundle as well

Yeah, as Taylor said, they didn’t have known injury concerns when they came to the club. Mora and Apeness did too when we drafted them. I think one of Sturt or Valente do. If they have had a history of injuries I’d be much more cautious now.

Shai Bolton what is he worth ? Suggested a late second round/early third over on the main trade board and got laughed at.
Brisbane have our pick #44 this season, that would seem fair for a guy who has played under twenty games in three seasons standing at 175cm.

Let's say you've got pick #29 in this year's draft. Bolton is in the group of draftees available. Is he taken at pick #29? I don't think so.

TabsDixonCox

All Australian
Sep 21, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Keen to hear people's thoughts on this end of year scenario...
OUT: S Hill, B Hill, E Langdon
IN: T Kelly, J Martin, late 1st round
Draft: Henry, Robertson, Taylor

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Palmer was a great pick at 7.

His running ability and smarts made him special but the knee killed that.
Agree to disagree.
2007 draft was a great one in hindsight- a lot players still playing.
Just remember watching Palmer in the Under -18’s at Subiaco and thought, gee he gets it, but nearly every kick was helicopter punt.
Ran all day, tackled but had below average disposal and quite poor sharing the ball.
Besides that he was best mates with Chris ‘ the biter’ Masten.

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Keen to hear people's thoughts on this end of year scenario...
OUT: S Hill, B Hill, E Langdon
IN: T Kelly, J Martin, late 1st round
Draft: Henry, Robertson, Taylor
Like Pina and Garcia also.
A bit worried about Garcia with him doing a knee, if we could rookie him, I reckon he’d be worth a chance

Agree to disagree.
2007 draft was a great one in hindsight- a lot players still playing.
Just remember watching Palmer in the Under -18’s at Subiaco and thought, gee he gets it, but nearly every kick was helicopter punt.
Ran all day, tackled but had below average disposal and quite poor sharing the ball.
Besides that he was best mates with Chris ‘ the biter’ Masten.
I see 2007 as the last year that kicking didn't really matter. If you could out run, you could win.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Coniglio - FA
Kelly - Our 1st round pick (assuming it is around pick 6 to 8)
Jack Martin - Mid 2nd rounder
Shai Bolton - Mid 2nd rounder
Callum Ah Chee - 3rd or 4th round pick, or pick swap

Who should we target and why?

For me it is Coniglio (Free agent, A grade player), Jack Martin and Shai Bolton (Quick flankers, can play a bit through the midfield. Will improve our skills, and are both dangerous in the forward line.)

Callum Ah Chee - I think he has talent, but at GC he has not got the most out of it. I think given 12 months of training, he will turn into to a B+ players.

Kelly - If we believe we can push for top 6 with out him, then you sign him and trade away a top 8 pick. If not then it is pass, due to the cost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Coniglio - FA
Kelly - Our 1st round pick (assuming it is around pick 6 to 8)
Jack Martin - Mid 2nd rounder
Shai Bolton - Mid 2nd rounder
Callum Ah Chee - 3rd or 4th round pick, or pick swap

Who should we target and why?

For me it is Coniglio (Free agent, A grade player), Jack Martin and Shai Bolton (Quick flankers, can play a bit through the midfield. Will improve our skills, and are both dangerous in the forward line.)

Callum Ah Chee - I think he has talent, but at GC he has not got the most out of it. I think given 12 months of training, he will turn into to a B+ players.

Kelly - If we believe we can push for top 6 with out him, then you sign him and trade away a top 8 pick. If not then it is pass, due to the cost
I'm less keen on trading this year. Of course you grab Coniglio if available, but then I would be cautious. I would trade for Kelly or Martin if someone is leaving, but not overpay.

Go to the draft.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Give up on Cogs everyone, it is not happening. Way too much smoke around him and literally none of it involves us (since early in the season).

Agree with the hit the draft sentiment. I was enjoying it, but a little worried early in the season when we were doing well that we might overestimate our list and trade picks. I think we are still 1 or possible 2 drafts short of completion. Would like at least 4 more top 30 picks, including at least 2 mids.

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I see 2007 as the last year that kicking didn't really matter. If you could out run, you could win.
Aah the draft that Freo took two players that could run all day and good pace.....
anyone remember Clayton Hinkley? Pick 24 or something....... horrendous disposal

Purple dynamite

All Australian
May 22, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Bayern munich
Been seeing a bit more chat about Ed heading back to Victoria on my socials.
Put his disposal aside, who do we have that can run and spread like Ed does?

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Been seeing a bit more chat about Ed heading back to Victoria on my socials.
Put his disposal aside, who do we have that can run and spread like Ed does?
Tucker.
Not fazed either way Ed’s disposal is sooo bad it pretty much negates any good that comes from all of his run and carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back