Who should coach Freo in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross is the man for 2020 and beyond, everyone was talking about extending him 3 weeks ago. Fickle bunch
Incorrect. Almost all were saying that a decision to extend should not be made until the end of this year or half way through next year. Don't think anyone would disagree with this would they?

Why would he be considered, What attributes has he shown in this role or previous that would make him successful?
You're probably right with respect to the senior position at this stage, but the turnaround in the women's team has been impressive since he took over

Longmuir needs to come in....
Freak of a coach by all reports
Coached all lines of the field and currently Collingwoods team defence who just held up west coast from scoring for 45mins!
Also trained jk and darling for years in the forward line
Think of the build up we could have as the no 2 draft pick comes home and tries to get freos first flag!
Haven’t seen Rossy jump into freos crowd after kicking the winning goal before!
Rosich to go also and have belly and pav around him.

Longmuir needs to come in....
Freak of a coach by all reports
Coached all lines of the field and currently Collingwoods team defence who just held up west coast from scoring for 45mins!
Also trained jk and darling for years in the forward line
Think of the build up we could have as the no 2 draft pick comes home and tries to get freos first flag!
Haven’t seen Rossy jump into freos crowd after kicking the winning goal before!
Rosich to go also and have belly and pav around him.

I predicted he’d be our next coach a couple of years ago so I’d love for this to happen and I agree that he’s a darn good assistant and very highly rated but I just have my doubts about him as a head coach. Not sure why.

Regardless, there are some great potential prospects out there in the league and I dearly hope Belly is talking to them all.
Kirk, Longmuir, Teague, Glass, Caracalla, Burns, Scarlett, Shaw, Rutten.

With other jobs being filled before ours, the club needs to identify Ross’s replacement and get them in as an assistant at the end of this year.

I predicted he’d be our next coach a couple of years ago so I’d love for this to happen and I agree that he’s a darn good assistant and very highly rated but I just have my doubts about him as a head coach. Not sure why.

Has the media mentioned his name at all in wa?
Or is Hardie and Co still trying to drive the Sumich train for there co-worker?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caracella or Kirk imo. If we can’t land one of them go Jlo.

It worries me that Kirks only experience is Roos, Longmuir and Ross. If the last half a dozen flags are anything to go by the Clarkson method is the way to go. I reckon WC or Richmond will win it this year too so add another to the list.

Why not Longmuir come over as assistant, with the view that he takes over after 2020?

That way Ross finishes out his contract, the players start listening to him more anyway (Ala Chris Scott in 2009/2010 over Mark Harvey) and then he takes full helm after.

Gives him time to adjust to the players and system, so that he can totally upend it by 2021 :cool:

Why not Longmuir come over as assistant, with the view that he takes over after 2020?

That way Ross finishes out his contract, the players start listening to him more anyway (Ala Chris Scott in 2009/2010 over Mark Harvey) and then he takes full helm after.

Gives him time to adjust to the players and system, so that he can totally upend it by 2021 :cool:
Nah Ross wants to stay long term. It will end up like the Malthouse/Buckley thing.
I would like to see our players get off the tit and grow up and turn up to work to work.

I can’t see the club grabbing a high profile assistant this year. To do so would be effectively undermining the senior coach in his last year of contract - he has publicly backed his team. So as much as I’d like some additional brains trust in the box, I think we are waiting until this contract plays out.

Why?

4 weeks ago there was talk about if Freo should extend his contract and lock him in.
Last week he was a certainty to coach out his contract.
I feel like this week's loss is the first time that the media has really started to question if he stays next year.

I still think we'll scrape together a few wins and Lyon will finish his contract, or at least start 2020 but if Freo loses to Sydney, Bulldogs and Geelong nothing will be certain.

Nah Ross wants to stay long term. It will end up like the Malthouse/Buckley thing.
I would like to see our players get off the tit and grow up and turn up to work to work.

Every coach wants to stay long term. There's no other job they could do that would earn them over a million dollars a year, nobody is going to walk away voluntarily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back