The Families

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
This isn't just about brothers playing top level, this is about families that have had great impact in our great league, I'll start with these:

Daniher
Kennedy
Shaw
Farmer
Rose
Rioli
Ablett
Silvagni
Richards

Please add your interesting history facts on the achievements of these families and add other families that I have not thought of. Keep it to players if possible.

Thought the Krakouer brothers were pretty special. Premiership players for Claremont. Jim and Phil both shared the goal kicking award at their second season at North, then rotated it between them for the next 5 years. Jim won a best and fairest too and was in the AFL's indigenous team of the century.

Jim's son Andrew won a WAFL premiership, a Sandover medal, and had a decent AFL career as well. Andrew's cousin Nathan was in the inaugural GCS team.

Fletcher's - Most games between father and son.
Madden's - Only brothers to both play over 300 games. Revolutionised the role and dominated across three decades.
Cloke's - David + three sons (Travis, Cameron, Jason). Think they are the only time that three F/S picked players have been in the same side.

This isn't just about brothers playing top level, this is about families that have had great impact in our great league, I'll start with these:

Daniher
Kennedy
Shaw
Farmer
Rose
Rioli
Ablett
Silvagni
Richards

Please add your interesting history facts on the achievements of these families and add other families that I have not thought of. Keep it to players if possible.

The Farmers, were any related? Polly, Ken, the Wiz?
Pollys kids played WAFL footy, useful footballers.

The Riolis going back to Sebastian sure qualify.

The Farmers, were any related? Polly, Ken, the Wiz?
Pollys kids played WAFL footy, useful footballers.

The Riolis going back to Sebastian sure qualify.

If I am correct Graeme, Ken and Jeff are related. If I'm wrong I apologize to everyone.

In any case even if it's just Polly he has been absolutely huge for the game and put on the map with his 40m handballs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitten - those in the know say Jnr was a gun in his own right, career cut short by injury.

Reid - father Bruce, brothers Ben and Sam

Picken - Billy was a star, Liam won the medal for best 2016 finals player

Liberatore - Snr has a Brownlow, Jnr a B&F and Premiership

Burgoyne - Phillips family. Don't know if this is a stretch or not
- Peter Burgoyne
- Shaun Burgoyne
- Erin Phillips
- Greg Phillips

Not VFL but the Doig family had 17 family members play senior league football for either South or East Fremantle.
George Doig is in the AFL hall of fame.
The Fremantle club champion award is named the Doig Medal.

Whitten - those in the know say Jnr was a gun in his own right, career cut short by injury.

Reid - father Bruce, brothers Ben and Sam

Picken - Billy was a star, Liam won the medal for best 2016 finals player

Liberatore - Snr has a Brownlow, Jnr a B&F and Premiership

Poor ol Billy played in 3 losing GF's in a row.

Not VFL but the Doig family had 17 family members play senior league football for either South or East Fremantle.
George Doig is in the AFL hall of fame.
The Fremantle club champion award is named the Doig Medal.

That's a huge achievement by one family for all of those 17 to play at the top level.

If I am correct Graeme, Ken and Jeff are related. If I'm wrong I apologize to everyone.

In any case even if it's just Polly he has been absolutely huge for the game and put on the map with his 40m handballs.

:thumbsu: I'm not either.

Think we all know Polly, Ken is one of the best full forwards to play the game https://australianfootball.com/players/player/ken+farmer/467

Not sure about The Wiz

Who??? Have you made these people up?

“Where ignorance is bliss, / 'Tis folly to be wise.'”

Poor ol Billy played in 3 losing GF's in a row.
Yep. Probably the greatest ever player to commentate his own plays during the game

"Here comes Billy..."

That's a huge achievement by one family for all of those 17 to play at the top level.
ps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Doig

More than one from the Grljusich clan, including Tom who had a stint in SA (Centrals).
George is more famous for his sports commentary & trotting ownership, although I remember the mongrel whacking Mike Pethick from Subi, got a couple of weeks did George.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back