M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
For those who don't venture out to the Draft Trading & FA board here are the latest draft selections as they stand now.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Of the academy players I think there are five who would be under some consideration at the moment if I was looking at them:

Will Martyn
Noah Cumberland
Tom Wischnat
Bruce Reville
Keidan Coleman

Coleman is the standout but I think he has a year of development on the others. A really exciting player if he can develop the way he is tracking. When he gets the ball at pace he is capable of breaking lines in a damaging way.

Cumberland has come to greater attention recently but the Lions have been watching him closely for a while. Hard and tough and reads the play to create opportunities rather than reacting to the play.

Martyn is high possession and a very solid reliable performer but may not offer much that we don’t already have.

Wischnat is an interesting one - great hands and great kick but an outstanding contested mark even though he is not a tall forward. He leads to the ball as well as anyone his age I think. Work rate is an issue. He is an odd one because I don’t think many like him make it to AFL but there is a bit of Rayner about him - shorter but powerful forward, probably with better hands than Rayner.

Reville is a bit of Coleman Lite I think. But seems to be developing quickly.

We certainly won’t be taking all of them so I would think one or maybe two are likely as rookies. Coleman may be taken in the main draft.

If it was me, I would have them in this order:

Coleman
Cumberland
Wischnat
Martyn
Reville

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting that at the same stage last year this thread had almost 2000 posts while we're only on about 400 at the moment.

As it should be, I reckon.

Was only thinking today how this time last year priority picks were being thrown around much like the Suns atm. I had to check myself...is the season that far advanced already. How times have change for the better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think a players hunger for the contest and poise under pressure are the 2 things we need to look at. Which is hard when they’ve mainly played against kids. A bit of speed would be handy too.

Our recent draftees Bailey, Starcevich, Joyce, Berry, Answerth, etc. are good examples of this compared to others like Keays, Allison, NRobbo, Squizzy, etc. who could never develop this skill.

Our recent boys are one touch players as well. Buys so much more time for them, composed under pressure no fumbles. Been a long time since we had a crop of players in that basket.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Road to the Draft Podcast today Twomey was asked who could be around at our 1st selection and consider taking, assuming it is around the 16 mark and he mentioned Sam Flanders(small fwd/mid), Deven Robertson(inside mid) and Harry Schoenberg(balanced mid).

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Road to the Draft Podcast today Twomey was asked who could be around at our 1st selection and consider taking, assuming it is around the 16 mark and he mentioned Sam Flanders(small fwd/mid), Deven Robertson(inside mid) and Harry Schoenberg(balanced mid).
I’ve heard the term inside / outside mid, but what on earth is a balanced mid?:huh:

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I want Flanders simply for the Simpsons references

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Robertson and Schoenberg really shouldn't be first round prospects. And I doubt Flanders will be there by our pick.

Robertson and Schoenberg are genuine ball winners, but neither are very good kicks and Robertson particularly can panic under pressure.

It's been noted in the media, and I'm sure Twomey mentioned it on todays episode, the skill level was not very high this year.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Robertson and Schoenberg really shouldn't be first round prospects. And I doubt Flanders will be there by our pick.

Robertson and Schoenberg are genuine ball winners, but neither are very good kicks and Robertson particularly can panic under pressure.

It's been noted in the media, and I'm sure Twomey mentioned it on todays episode, the skill level was not very high this year.

I wouldn’t worry about skills. They improve heaps once they get in the AFL system. Bailey was a terrible kick predraft.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

I like the sound of Schoenberg briz, quite a few posting on the draft board really rate him.

Twomey did say that the standard of this years championships was down on recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I like the sound of Schoenberg briz, quite a few posting on the draft board really rate him.

Twomey did say that the standard of this years championships was down on recent years.
Mostly the SA watchers.

There' just not a lot of mids to get excited about this year. Not many/any outside the top 12 that we don't already have a young player on our list who is similar and possibly better.

Robertson is a better runner than Mathieson, but I'm not sure he offers anything more. Certainly not as clean disposing of the football as Tom Joyce. Schoenberg is also a good runner, but again, I'm not sure he's any better than Corey Lyons. And again, not as clean as Tom Joyce. Neither have the athleticism or power of Tom Berry. Neither are as tall, strong or have the power of Ely Smith.

I'm looking for something different to what is already on our list.

One of my personal favourites from the Championships is Trent Rivers from WA. He's the leading inside midfielder at Colts level in WA, but was played as a general defender in the U18 Championships. He's a really good user of the ball, a good kick, and a good thinker of the game. But I've cooled on him a little, because I'm not sure he offers anything different to Starcevich, other than he finds the ball more. Starcevich looks faster as well.

The other mid I like is Mitch O'Neill. He started off the year carrying an injury, but came good in time for the Championships. He's small at 181cm and 70kg, is a natural inside outside mid, but played wing for the Allies. He's fast and a good kick.

After that, you're looking at flankers. This draft is great if you're looking for halfbacks, and there's a couple of good medium forwards.

Last edited:
Ladder position: 4th

Draft Positon: 6th

Play like a top 8 team, draft like a bottom 8 team.

That's what happens you have draft WIZARD nobes in your corner!

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I hate saying it but the draft will only be eligible to white kids in the coming years given the concessions / access club’s now have via academies to indigenous and tenuously linked ethnic kids.

AFL set to make some changes to the draft.

So no actual info on how they're going to stop it. Bar banning teams from doing trades pre and post academy selections with the same team I'm not sure how you do prevent it.

She's like the AFL are made to look silly by Sydney again and they're not happy

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So no actual info on how they're going to stop it. Bar banning teams from doing trades pre and post academy selections with the same team I'm not sure how you do prevent it.

She's like the AFL are made to look silly by Sydney again and they're not happy

Can’t they make it so a team can’t use a pick between the pick a player was bid on and the last selection used to match the bid?

Would also stop clubs selecting multiple players at the top end of the draft.

I have no problem with the extension of NGAs, so long as those clubs are obliged to invest a certain percentage of their revenue in their NGA and zones.
Yep, they need to actually start investing in these kids development!
That should be a non-negotiable!

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I might be on my own here but I don't see the need for indigenous academies, I posted on the main board a while ago, that the indigenous population makes up 3.3% of the total Australian population, the percentage of indigenous players on AFL lists is 10%, on the surface it seems like a good representation or am I not seeing something more nuanced.

I would rather that instead of clubs investing in academies, indigenous or otherwise the AFL funded them completely and all players went into the open draft.

Get the best management, development and talent identification people in the country to run them, nothing to say they couldn't be based at current clubs as they are now but with no money or people power from the clubs.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, they need to actually start investing in these kids development!
That should be a non-negotiable!
Indeed, and percentage of revenue should be a factor since the bigger clubs can afford more investment. The ones in the best financial position tend to have pretty remote zones too, which would require more investment.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I might be on my own here but I don't see the need for indigenous academies, I posted on the main board a while ago, that the indigenous population makes up 3.3% of the total Australian population, the percentage of indigenous players on AFL lists is 10%, on the surface it seems like a good representation or am I not seeing something more nuanced.

I would rather that instead of clubs investing in academies, indigenous or otherwise the AFL funded them completely and all players went into the open draft.

Get the best management, development and talent identification people in the country to run them, nothing to say they couldn't be based at current clubs as they are now but with no money or people power from the clubs.
I think it's pretty obvious that NGAs only exist because Collingwood and friends started whinging about the Northern academies. And receiving their own academies shut them up. It kills two birds with one stone actually. There's a serious lack of investment in football in remote areas, and Aboriginal kids are coming through despite that, not because there's an investment. There's ridiculous talent out there that isn't being funnelled up as well as it could, so you could argue that 10% figure is lower than it could be. Yes the AFL could fund it directly, but this way the clubs are actually doing something for the grassroots and cease complaining about the Northern academies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back