Prediction New Senior Coach

Who should be appointed our new coach from 2020 onwards?

• Sam Mitchell

Votes: 42 14.1%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 31 10.4%
  • Horse Longmire

Votes: 41 13.8%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 108 36.2%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 28 9.4%
  • Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 35 11.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the argument that a club like ours (smaller) needs some form of stability through an experienced coach however I can't seem to go past the fact that experienced coaches rarely win flags.

In fact Malthouse was the last 'experienced' coach to win a flag.

In other words, most coaches who have won flags have been first time coaches. Simpson... Hardwick... Bev.... Clarko... Longmire... Scott
I can't get over the fact that most inexperienced coaches don't win flags.

In other words, most coaches who have been sacked recently have been first time coaches: Watters, Leppitsch, Sanderson, McCartney, Neeld, McKenna.

Not sure. Heard reports in his ill fated discussion with the board about our list he did compare ours to Carlton apparently and was more bullish about Carlton than his own club. Soon after he was given the lemonade.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Oh because we have 4 Rising Star nominations this year (and counting) only 1 of which was a first round draft pick, 1 being a 70 something pick and another from the Rookie draft. Legendary coaches Pagan and Malthouse could do nothing to change Carlton's cellar dweller status. But now someone thinks they have a better list and therefore better prospects???? Hmmm, suggest considering who has a better culture could be a better indicator to potential success.

Just flicked over on fox footy and there was a brief segment of Kingy being toured through a Sydney training with horse. Presume is was filmed weeks ago, maybe even months ago. Media folk can correct that assumption though and not sure that it provides any clarity to all the rumours but i find it fascinating.
maybe Horse gave him the "inside word" on the Carlton gig, just to take the p1ss out of him

I reckon this stuff about having a mentor is crap. If clubs just let the coach do their job in coaching the team they would get better results.

It's concerning to hear Scott had minimal contact with the players toward the end. I want Shaw to coach the players and be with them and the coaches.

We need someone else (Rawlings) to deal with the other side of things. Rawlings dealing with Shaw's mentor would also give more time for him to be with the players.

Head of Football------Mentor
|
|
Head Coach

That's how I see it.

I reckon this stuff about having a mentor is crap. If clubs just let the coach do their job in coaching the team they would get better results.
It's concerning to hear Scott had minimal contact with the players toward the end. I want Shaw to coach the players and be with them and the coaches.

We need someone else (Rawlings) to deal with the other side of things. Rawlings dealing with Shaw's mentor would also give more time for him to be with the players.

Head of Football------Mentor
|
|
Head Coach

That's how I see it.
What's interesting though is Shaw has stated that he's tapped Roos for some advice since taking on the acting coach role. If Shaw gets the job and Roos is someone who helps him I'd be very happy to see Roos get a role to help guide Shaw through the first year or two of his tenure.

We help get Horse more money out of Sydney and we keep Shaw and use some of that cash for more experience around him - mentor and /or assistant - and that feels like an ideal result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Shaw doing well would have played a part in Longmire's decision as well. Not saying he would have seriously considered our offer or not, but it's a much safer call to accept Sydney's extension, when you know you're potentially going to get a huge supporter backlash if you go with North. Any romance of going back to his old club would have been offset by not being welcomed back. Easy decision for him to remain in Sydney, and makes our situation simpler as well - given how early we seem to have identified Longmire as a main target, would have been hard to pull out now that we may already have a coach on our hands.

Just need to find a suitable senior figure to join as a mentor/director of coaching/senior assistant.

Roos, Richardson, any other names?

I reckon Shaw doing well would have played a part in Longmire's decision as well. Not saying he would have seriously considered our offer or not, but it's a much safer call to accept Sydney's extension, when you know you're potentially going to get a huge supporter backlash if you go with North. Any romance of going back to his old club would have been offset by not being welcomed back. Easy decision for him to remain in Sydney, and makes our situation simpler as well - given how early we seem to have identified Longmire as a main target, would have been hard to pull out now that we may already have a coach on our hands.

Just need to find a suitable senior figure to join as a mentor/director of coaching/senior assistant.

Roos, Richardson, any other names?

Scott?

d5n880p-3d91a1d7-9e60-49a5-8400-ed7ead83d5b1.jpg

Welcome, Admiral Shaw.

What's interesting though is Shaw has stated that he's tapped Roos for some advice since taking on the acting coach role. If Shaw gets the job and Roos is someone who helps him I'd be very happy to see Roos get a role to help guide Shaw through the first year or two of his tenure.
That's the dream scenario, and it's also what i think will happen.

Ok Rhyce, the final stage of your interview process is to ensure at least 3 * players leave the field on stretchers.

Complete your task and your family will never have to worry about the future again.
The Shaw family is a good one, if that ended up happening, I’m sure it would bring a smile to the face of a few of the boys.

Last edited:
Why do I feel like the media interpret it as a loss to us?
Because that's typical media line - North has missed out on something again.
I can picture as winning a GF against say Geelong, and the headline in the media being brave Cats finish up with runners up medals after a tough struggle with North.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back