Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Fair points plugs. Of course players need to share responsibility. I'm a fan of Ross's work, and 20/20 hindsight is the best sort of vision. Judging Ross overall, he did well. Missed by that much! He did have a few weak spots. I wish he was coaching us now. He would be a huge upgrade on Chobot.
Well of course he is huge upgrade. I don’t even know the other person. He is a huge upgrade on richo as well but apart from jeans he is probably an upgrade of every single coach we have had. Richo is upgrade on Watters. Anyway we will have a new coach next year and the one thing I’m certain of is he will be doing many things wrong the moment we lose a game. Never the players

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wont dance on grave but will be more than happy when gone, should have been moved on after the good friday game last year
Thank him for his service nah out of depth his whole time has set the club back years and thought he was to good to be interviewed for the job Please
bit of rewriting history there ... he didnt think he was too good to be interviewed for the job .. he after being rejected the first time wasnt keen to apply for the job again and get rejected again it took the club to tell him the job was his before he would apply again ... not cause he thought he was too good but because another failed application hurt his chances at future appointments as well as fractured relationships in the role he had with port

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
The memes are great. You are one of the great contributors & entertainers (we are all here for entertainment) of this forum, no need to apologise. I really with I could make memes.
agree the memes are all in good fun and there is nothing wrong with that but i guess the stupid "chobot" trash and the twisting of the true accounts of the past to make Richo out to be an all evil man sent to destroy our club is pretty poor form ...
he failed in a pretty important job , a job that lets be honest 99% of coaches would have failed at ...
i think people need to remember how hard he has worked and how hard he has tried to make us successful (often putting his own reputation to the sword for that) ... hes gone lets not paint him in a worse light then he actually is

Overall Ross has to be judged as a good coach. His results speak for themselves. However, where Lynch and other youngsters were concerned he was very ordinary. A chink in his armour. Perhaps if he wasn't as stubborn he may have won us a flag or two.

As for the Chobot, his overall results show he is a poor coach. Difference is, while Ross had his faults, Chobot has so many they have rendered him ineffective. No one but you and me is perfect, Plugs. 😀

Lyon had a lot of really good, highly coach able players.
He didn't need to teach them anything except his game plan, and they were a group who were good on the uptake.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
agree the memes are all in good fun and there is nothing wrong with that but i guess the stupid "chobot" trash and the twisting of the true accounts of the past to make Richo out to be an all evil man sent to destroy our club is pretty poor form ...
he failed in a pretty important job , a job that lets be honest 99% of coaches would have failed at ...
i think people need to remember how hard he has worked and how hard he has tried to make us successful (often putting his own reputation to the sword for that) ... hes gone lets not paint him in a worse light then he actually is
Tone down the hyperbole. I'm almost moved to tears. Evil? Sent to destroy our club? Rewarded handsomely for his time to the tune of around 700K PA. 99% would have failed as miserably? You don't know that and never will. Get a grip man!

And sack the Chobot.

i dont think anyones had a personal dig at him. so i'm not sure who we are having a crack at on here. most is said in jest.

he's a public figure very well compensated. according to media reports 650k a year. at that price he's going to cop some criticism. he's sucked at his job. it happens. not every appointment works out. he certainly has worked hard at it and has done his best. you can't fault him on that side.

when he goes, we should thank him for his service and move on.

every club has failed coaches. sadly it's just taken us 6 years to work that one out!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
i dont think anyones had a personal dig at him. so i'm not sure who we are having a crack at on here. most is said in jest.

he's a public figure very well compensated. according to media reports 650k a year. at that price he's going to cop some criticism. he's sucked at his job. it happens. not every appointment works out. he certainly has worked hard at it and has done his best. you can't fault him on that side.

every club has failed coaches. sadly it's just taken us 6 years to work that one out!

Well lets face it, most not all wherent even slightly upset that he was coaching until 2018 back in early 2017 so its only been a waste of one year. Some people seem to think 2018 was part of his extension. Whether he was extended or not we were winning 4 games last year.. A waste of one year and no real coaching money. Probably lost us a few dollars in memberships. Luckily didn't lose us players or board room challenges.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Well lets face it, most not all wherent even slightly upset that he was coaching until 2018 back in early 2017 so its only been a waste of one year. Some people seem to think 2018 was part of his extension. Whether he was extended or not we were winning 4 games last year.. A waste of one year and no real coaching money. Probably lost us a few dollars in memberships. Luckily didn't lose us players or board room challenges.
Without the extension we surely would have sacked him mid year 2018, instead we're still sitting on our hands round 17 2019, bottom 4 again.

A waste of an extra whole year is a terrible waste of everyones time IMO.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Without the extension we surely would have sacked him mid year 2018, instead we're still sitting on our hands round 17 2019, bottom 4 again.

Well the sacking is guess work. I’m still not sure any coach could have made us any better this year with same injuries so imagine the crap he would be copping.

i was upset in 2017, by the mid way point. so was stavro from memory and ghost! plus perse and a bunch of others on here.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
i was upset in 2017, by the mid way point. so was stavro from memory and ghost! plus perse and a bunch of others on here.
I don't want to be that person but let's not re-write history.

Came in to coach the 2014 Season, first season without
Dal Santo, McEvoy , Milne and Saad. Gained, Savage, Bruce and Delaney. DalSanto had got the third most disposals in 2013 behind Stuv and Joey. Milne had kicked the second most goals.

2014 was really Jack Newnes breakout season. Reiwoldt, Stanley and Billings kicked the most goals. 414 hitouts to Longer with Stanley ruck fwd. Bruce defence until round 19. Armitage gashed his knee open and had a serious infection.
End of year, Stanley, Lenny, Gwilt , Schnieder ,Milera and CJ left, Upgraded Minch, Eli, Shenton and Weller. ( its called scraping the barrel ).
WOODEN SPOON

2015 Armitage, Steven and Joey did a great job in a team without Lenny. Roberton great year. Bruce and Riewoldt combined for 80 goals, Sinclair( rookie ) and Lonie crumbing. Longer rucked the season. Farren Ray ( prominent in 2014 ) didn't get a look in. Neither did Saad with Cho preferring to play the youf. (Lonie Sinclair, ELi ). 9 games to Membrey for 7 goals.
No big list losses at end of year.
15th

2016 Ross breakout year, helping out Steven ( finally ), but Armitage noticeably slower. Joey moved to the backline so cho could develop the youth.
Riewoldt, Membrey and Bruce combine for around 120 goals , with Weller getting a handy 24. Sam Gilbert's last hurrah playing a full season in a number of roles including relief ruck for Hickey.
End of year. We get Steele, Stevens. players like Lee, Delaney , Templeton were delisted but more importantly Dempster would not play another game.
9th

2017 Armitage out for most of the year, and Steele and Stevens not filling his shoes. Biggest ball users Ross, Steven, Roberton, Billings and Newnes.
Membrey, Gresham, Bruce, Riewoldt , and BIllings combined for plenty of goals. Gilbert still playing but not as well.
Longer doing most of the ruckwork.
End of year. Riewoldt , Montagna gone.
11th.

So we take Nick, and Joey from a team that was struggling in the midfield, and hadn't really replaced Dempster in the back.
We change the rules to make Hickey ineffective. One of our biggest ball users has a heart issue. Armitage has turned to crap and Steven's has concussion. Bruce is injured all season.
welcome to 20 bloody 18.

Biggest ball winners , Ross Steven , Steele , Billings , Geary.
Biggest goal kickers , Gresham, Membrey, Newnes , BIllings, Lonie.
Four ruckmen get a shot.
End of year. 16th. Surprisingly not worse.

So we find a ruckman in Marshall. But we lose the one remaining effective part of our midfield in Steven. ( turns out Steele is only good as a tagger ).
Our main ball users are now , Billings, Ross, Gresham, Savage , Steele. Hardly any Dustin Martin or Patty Cripps types in there, except mainly Steele who is busy chasing his opponent around. ( Dunstan getting less of the ball than Jack Sinclair ).
Membrey and Bruce are on track to kick a combined 55 for the season. Parker maybe will end up with 20, Gresh and BIllings too busy deep in the midfield.

Richo is gone, but Clarkson wouldn't have turned Ben Long into Eddie Betts, or Jade Gresham into Garry Ablett Junior.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Can't speak for anyone else but I'm certain I've never supported the early signing. I think a lot of people would feel the same though, we were dishing up straight mediocrity and we had been for a long time, that wasn't looking like changing anytime soon despite how some people paint the whole context of the resigning saga.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
That’s great but as I said most weren’t and he had a contract for 2018 anyway.and if you were that upset why would you agree with an extension even if he got new assistants. I wasn’t upset but I didn’t want the extension. Seems really strange

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

geeze i didnt realise i would uset so many people by asking them to remember he is a person .... as i said things saind in jest are fine in my opinion but to harp on and on and on and on about how terrible he has been and how he has failed since day one is wrong ... to say he has made players worse is wrong... to say he was terrible coach was again wrong ... he has run his race and the time has come to move him on but he certainly did have some wins along the way for our team .. in the end it wasnt enough ..

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Richo is gone, but Clarkson wouldn't have turned Ben Long into Eddie Betts, or Jade Gresham into Garry Ablett Junior.
How can you say that though? Maybe he would've turned White into a decent player, maybe he would've taught Paddy to change how he attacks the ball so he got concussed less, maybe he'd devise a gameplan that played to our lists strengths, maybe pigs would've flown. We'll never know.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

That is so funny. See you can lie and it becomes fact

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
geeze i didnt realise i would uset so many people by asking them to remember he is a person .... as i said things saind in jest are fine in my opinion but to harp on and on and on and on about how terrible he has been and how he has failed since day one is wrong ... to say he has made players worse is wrong... to say he was terrible coach was again wrong ... he has run his race and the time has come to move him on but he certainly did have some wins along the way for our team .. in the end it wasnt enough ..
Yeh. He's a person who's spectacularly failed to perform his job and is now sticking around to the bitter end to spite the board having been handsomely paid for 6 years of treading water. He can * off as far as I'm concerned tbh. Seems like a nice bloke but he's a s**t coach and at the end of the day that's all that matters in footy.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Hahaha that’s an absolute belter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

had we sacked him do you really think we would be any better off this year ? we still wouldnt have had Steven, Robo and Jake (for long periods) ... at best i had us finishing 9th when i looked at the draw this year and thats factoring a good run with injury.. our issue is not enough top class players i dont see how apointing another coach in mid 2018 really changes that much ... just like i dont see changing a coach this year will see us somehow jump to the top 8 next year ... getting some class players will do that but the same list with a differant coach i dont think will change much ..

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue

Well… the timing of the extension was completely unnecessary and ill-fated and plenty of people in that thread picked it prior - even pluggs.

I have DM's with shared concerns in early 2016, not that it really matters.

i think those points you make are very debatable. they aren't even personal tbh.

i think there's a very good argument with evidence to suggest he is a terrible coach. that's not personal either. he gets paid very well. he cops the criticism. no different to saying a highly paid player is terrible.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Well… the timing of the extension was completely unnecessary and ill-fated and plenty of people in that thread picked it prior - even pluggs.

I have DM's with shared concerns in early 2016, not that it really matters.
Even me. I was the strongest just about. Some of ones who said are now the strongest it was a bad move by finnis. Luckily we can see the truth now. That’s a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back