Preview Round 17: Changes Vs Hawks + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy needed a break, Sandi could play.

Like Nyhuis in, agree Logue is unlucky.

Sorry I though Crowden was bad last week. S Hill if fit any day. I admit I’m a bit worried about the cold and his hammy.

Cerra lucky not to be dropped as well.

Gives us a few issues to deal with next week though however you look at it. Still got the Sandi/Darcy problem and you still desperately need a second KPD.

With Crowden I agree but I just feel for him. Does everything he can at WAFL to get a game only to be scapegoated in a team-wide debacle. That isn't really the way you go about developing younger talent.

While I understand backing in youth I don’t see crowden making it at afl level. Too slow too small isn’t a good combination.

I've said it before, but if you're small you need to have a few strings to the bow - either speed, goal sense, ability to get alot of the ball, or great skill. Or at the least need to be very very good at something.

I've said it before, but if you're small you need to have a few strings to the bow - either speed, goal sense, ability to get alot of the ball, or great skill. Or at the least need to be very very good at something.

agreed. Crowden brings intensity but there is nothing remarkable about anything else he brings to the table. He wasn't a particularly high pick and you can see why. Very limited footballer.

Gives us a few issues to deal with next week though however you look at it. Still got the Sandi/Darcy problem and you still desperately need a second KPD.

With Crowden I agree but I just feel for him. Does everything he can at WAFL to get a game only to be scapegoated in a team-wide debacle. That isn't really the way you go about developing younger talent.

TBH in past years, Crowden was EXACTLY the kind of play Ross loved. A good honest trier who put his head over the ball. Wasn't a great kick but got the job done. Think Suban.

I think it is a good thing he got dropped.

We should have just brought Harley straight in to the AFL side, if he was going to break down it might as well be at the top level.

Why the fu** are we rushing Stephen Hill in? He should be playing in the WAFL until he can prove he has the fitness for AFL.
That's either ironic or a massive contradiction.

I just find it mind boggling that after a 91 point loss and so many players below par over the last few weeks we drop crowden who has worked his backside off to get in and gave 100% last week and Logue who wasn’t as good as his first two weeks back geez for his 4 games back after 18 months hasn’t done much wrong! Over the 4 games he’s ranked

#1 for interception possessions over his last four games (#2 in the whole afl)
#1 for intercept marks
#1 for one-on-one contents one
#1 for lowest % of one-on-one contests lost
#1 for contested marks
#2 for total marks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting few weeks coming up
Clubs have to nominate Assistant coaches that wont be offered new contracts by August 1

It seems Ross likes to be in total control and perhaps does not want assistants who are not "yes" men and might have conflicting ideas to his

Personally I think we need new ideas and are long overdue for some fresh faces in there
Finding promising assistants who would like to work with RTB and possibly re-locate will be very difficult

I just find it mind boggling that after a 91 point loss and so many players below par over the last few weeks we drop crowden who has worked his backside off to get in and gave 100% last week and Logue who wasn’t as good as his first two weeks back geez for his 4 games back after 18 months hasn’t done much wrong! Over the 4 games he’s ranked

#1 for interception possessions over his last four games (#2 in the whole afl)
#1 for intercept marks
#1 for one-on-one contents one
#1 for lowest % of one-on-one contests lost
#1 for contested marks
#2 for total marks
Those are amazing numbers for Logue. Thanks.

Crowden has played the same debut game 10 times. He hasn’t improved at all.

Yep. Personally can’t stand him.

In cricketing terms he’s like Handscomb. You feel like he’s ok but really is only going to get a game when others are out. When he gets his chance there’s just glaringly obvious issues with him. He’ll show glimpses but you’d rather we play anyone else at the end of the day.

An interesting few weeks coming up
Clubs have to nominate Assistant coaches that wont be offered new contracts by August 1

It seems Ross likes to be in total control and perhaps does not want assistants who are not "yes" men and might have conflicting ideas to his

Personally I think we need new ideas and are long overdue for some fresh faces in there
Finding promising assistants who would like to work with RTB and possibly re-locate will be very difficult
Not sure which coaches have a preference for assistants who disagree with them, have conflicting ideas and are "no" men. My experience is that successful teams are made up of people who respect each other, have different backgrounds and have complimentary skills. That's what the club should be pursuing.

We should have just brought Harley straight in to the AFL side, if he was going to break down it might as well be at the top level.

Why the fu** are we rushing Stephen Hill in? He should be playing in the WAFL until he can prove he has the fitness for AFL.
No, shouldn't have bought Harley straight in but after his WAFL game against Souths (3rd?) sprinting almost the whole field to receive his kick back and easily scored a goal from 50m, surely he had ticked every key indicator we could have expected to get an AFL game. It looked like his injury at WAFL was a contact injury with the tackler falling into him which may not have happened at WAFL.

SHilly had zero games in WAFL as he did all of last year when he re injured himself 6 more times after going back to AFL after the same injury. Both mismanaged in my opinion. Harley would have been very handy against Melbourne when both Shilly and Hogan got injured.

Not sure which coaches have a preference for assistants who disagree with them, have conflicting ideas and are "no" men. My experience is that successful teams are made up of people who respect each other, have different backgrounds and have complimentary skills. That's what the club should be pursuing.
Problem is Ross doesn't respect anyone that disagrees with him. Anyone that looks to be on an AFL path he regards as a threat. He had the chance last year on August 1st to change some assistants and didn't.

I think we have a chance at York Park this week as the ground dimensions are almost the same as Manuka when we played GWS.

165 x 135m York Park and 167 x 138 m Manuka.

I'm backing advice from our opposition analyst who helped change the game plan for GWS that we can do the same against Hawks.

Also perplexed with Logue getting the boot and hope Duman (travelling emergency?) getting a spot if Colyer somehow gets injured getting off the team bus.

Last edited:
Cerra reminds me of Mundy as a youngster, does anyone remember a stretch in about year 2-3 where he was criticised as too slow and laconic and not in the game. I remember a particular game against the Crows in Adelaide where the commentators were giving it to him, he was showing no enthusiasm etc.
He ended up OK.

As nurries says, I think they have been listening to purpleyes and are trying to get him to 50 games, and give us the best shot at finals in 2020/21. If he does want to leave then I'm open to trading him this year. Cerra and our 2nd for Kelly perhaps. I'm not writing him off or anything, and believe he will be a good player, but part of that is being where you want to be, especially for a young player.

Which is what makes the Logue omission interesting. Logue is a #8 and, on paper, has a high level of unrealised ahtletic potential. In a position where we lack depth. And he is on the back foot after missing a season (ok, sorry about the bad pun).

If we want to get guys like Brayshaw and Cerra to the magical 50 game mark, then surely getting the same experience into Logue is equally urgent.

Note: this isn't about Logue v Nyhuis. I would be playing Nyhuis anyway.

Was going to directly quote some posts but there is more than one for each comment so

a) Can someone link me to a reliable source where it is shown that Ross likes "yes men"? Personally I have a suspicion that started as conjecture on this very board.

b) Most players don't play as well at 10-50~70 games as they do at their peak. It is baffling that people would literally write off players in their first few years. Sure, some/majority aren't going to make it, but I would bet handsome sums of money none of you (or me) know which ones. How about the benefit of the doubt for our players at least?

Problem is Ross doesn't respect anyone that disagrees with him. Anyone that looks to be on an AFL path he regards as a threat. He had the chance last year on August 1st to change some assistants and didn't.
Interesting claim devoid of evidence. Currently he seems to be working well with Bell who fits your criteria perfectly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back