Opinion Actual All-Time Port Adelaide Top 10 players

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve only been watching since about 2001 and I was pretty young then. Of the players I’ve seen I’ve got it.

1. Gavin Wanganeen
2. Warren Tredrea
3. Robbie Gray
4. Peter Burgoyne
5. Chad Cornes
6. Travis Boak
7. Michael Wilson
8. Kane Cornes
9. Josh Carr
10. Brendon Lade

Shaun Burgoyne would be very high based on his career at Hawthorn, but that doesn’t count.

I also give an honourable mention to Damien Hardwick who was brilliant for us in just a couple of seasons.

Shaun Burgoyne would be very high based on his career at Hawthorn, but that doesn’t count.

0 x B&F
0 x AA
0 x Other individual awards and medals

Technically-gifted and played in quite a few games, sure.

0 x B&F
0 x AA
0 x Other individual awards and medals

Technically-gifted and played in quite a few games, sure.
Carn, what player would you rather draft? One that plays 350 games and features in 4 premierships or one that plays 200 wins a few BnFs or AA and no premierships?

Compare Burgoyne to Rockliff, or Travis Boak and he is easily better IMO.

Locking down a spot in your best 22 with a player that can play anywhere on the ground for the next 20 years is just hnnnng.

Carn, what player would you rather draft? One that plays 350 games and features in 4 premierships or one that plays 200 wins a few BnFs or AA and no premierships?

Locking down a spot in your best 22 with a player that can play anywhere on the ground for the next 20 years is just hnnnng.
Comparing players based on premierships is a slippery slope.

Shaun was the umpteenth best player here and the umpteenth best player there.

When rating individuals, team success is irrelevant except as icing.

There’s no way I don’t take Boak over Burgoyne knowing what we know.

If I could pick one pre 1997 Port player to get added to the team to play Brisbane Sunday night, every time it is Russell Ebert. Built for the modern game, exquisitely skilled, tough, reliable.

Only question about Russell Ebert and the modern game is his pace- he did seem to lose a yard or two when he turned 70.

There’s no way I don’t take Boak over Burgoyne knowing what we know.

SB is one of those players that relies on others to do the heavy lifting, allowing him to cruise.
Which is why he left Port when we needed him.

TB is one of those players that does the heavy lifting, allowing others to cruise.
Which is why he stayed at Port when we needed him.

Ergo: Travis is a dreamboat.

SB is one of those players that relies on others to do the heavy lifting, allowing him to cruise.
Which is why he left Port when we needed him.

TB is one of those players that does the heavy lifting, allowing others to cruise.
Which is why he stayed at Port when we needed him.

Ergo: Travis is a dreamboat.

Panned out nicely for him, really.

He’ll live on in eternity as Silk™, while his brother, who was a consistently imperative frontline midfielder going toe-to-toe with Voss, Black, Akermanis, Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Ricciuto, McLeod, Goodwin and Buckley, is generally considered to be Luke Hemsworth to his Chris/Liam.

Footy, man.

Panned out nicely for him, really.

He’ll live on in eternity as Silk™, while his brother, who was a consistently imperative frontline midfielder going toe-to-toe with Voss, Black, Akermanis, Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Ricciuto, McLeod, Goodwin and Buckley, is generally considered to be Luke Hemsworth to his Chris/Liam.

Footy, man.

Does anyone have that gif of Ricciuto trying to run through Peter Burgoyne, and he just bounces off, falls to the ground and Burgoyne runs off with the ball?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only saw the AFL era

Tredrea
Gray
Wanganeen
Wakelin
Lade
Sarge
Wilson
Tbo
P Burgs
Dmots

Does anyone have that gif of Ricciuto trying to run through Peter Burgoyne, and he just bounces off, falls to the ground and Burgoyne runs off with the ball?

Not the GIF, but it’s at 1:13 on this:

Second Showdown of 2004: 25 dsp (1 Brownlow vote)

God that's one of my favourite Ports gifs

The support around him as he accelerates away too. Monty with a solid shepherd on Mattner, and Byron just misses sending McLeod into another dimension.

1) John Butcher
2) Peter Walsh
3) Lewis Stevenson
4) Jay Nash
5) Aaron Shattock
6) Ben Eckermann
7) Glenn Dawson
8) Adam Cockshell
9) Ryan Willits
10) Elijah Ware
No Simon Philips. This is an outrage!

I will never forget nor forgive how Shaun drove down his trade value to get tonthe Hawks with some of the most sulky pea-hearted IDGAF football seen at AFL level

fu** Shaun Burgoyne

It’s weird.

Cassisi came out of the same draft class, enjoyed the same peripheral status in the 2001-4 years, then went into the guts and gave his heart and soul as an underrated combative tackling/clearance machine, and he’s all but forgotten when these things crop up despite his 14 years’ service.

Shaun graced us with some fleetingly elite football, decided he couldn’t be the frontline midfielder we needed and would rather be elsewhere, spent the past decade cruising around as 10th banana behind a cavalcade of star Hawks, and even Albertonians have bought into the legend.

Crazy pills, I feel like I’m taking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back