Preview Round 17: Changes Vs Hawks + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt this is the wrong thread but since we are all talking about changing coaches (again) can someone tell me what happens if we get a new senior coach after 1 August. Is he/she allowed to bring in their own assistants or do they have to keep the incumbent assistants who weren't given notice by 1 August?

No doubt this is the wrong thread but since we are all talking about changing coaches (again) can someone tell me what happens if we get a new senior coach after 1 August. Is he/she allowed to bring in their own assistants or do they have to keep the incumbent assistants who weren't given notice by 1 August?
No, they can't from what I understand. Unless there is space for them or room under the soft salary cap to get an extra assistant I suppose. When we renewed the assistants that were coming out of contract last year I think they got 2 years renewals, so they're safe this year.

However there should be around half coming out of contract. Taylor may know who will be uncontracted. We have to tell those assistants by 1st August whether we will be renewing or not.

We don't have to appoint someone straight away but can make offers to other assistants coming out of contract so they can tell their club they don't want to renew their contract. This would be going on behind the scenes now if we are preparing to make changes. That's how Ratten went from Hawthorn to StKilda for this year.

Interesting claim devoid of evidence. Currently he seems to be working well with Bell who fits your criteria perfectly.
Correction. Anyone working under him that could be a threat. Loads of examples. I like what Bell has done since he's come to the club and I hope he's in the process of making changes to assistants. He's the only one that can tell RTB to like it or lump it.

Correction. Anyone working under him that could be a threat. Loads of examples. I like what Bell has done since he's come to the club and I hope he's in the process of making changes to assistants. He's the only one that can tell RTB to like it or lump it.
Can we have 5 of these "loads of examples"?

Ive tried to forget all about the derby but I seem to recall Crowden being involved in one (and maybe both?) of our goal scoring chains. I can never fathom why you'd drop a bloke after just 1 game. Same goes for Banfield the previous week. It's not like there's a host of stars returning either. Sheesh.

Ive tried to forget all about the derby but I seem to recall Crowden being involved in one (and maybe both?) of our goal scoring chains. I can never fathom why you'd drop a bloke after just 1 game. Same goes for Banfield the previous week. It's not like there's a host of stars returning either. Sheesh.

I’d say they’re given indicators.
I’d imagine one of them for Crowden was when we put you in the middle don’t let them walk it out and score every time. He failed.

Can we have 5 of these "loads of examples"?
Every single assistant coach working for Ross now is not a threat to him or anyone else in the AFL of getting a head coach role. Go look up the article on the 30 assistants most likely to get an AFL role and not one Freo assistant is on it. That's Hale, Rock, Webb, Eastaugh, Geurra, Read, Prior. The only underling of Ross's I rate is opposition analyst Montagna and he's not a threat to RTB as he's not an assistant coach.

Any that could have been a threat are gone, including Sumich and Kirk.

It's things like this that concern me far more than the win/loss ratio.
I'm not sure if we actually are rebuilding, with the keeping of Cerra in the team, but dumping Logue and the honeymooners dick selection of Banfield and Crowden? Plus we bring Sandilands back for 3 quarters, then "manage" him plus Hill being picked while playing on one leg for two years...I'm totally lost as to what our selection policy is?

I’d imagine one of them for Crowden was when we put you in the middle don’t let them walk it out and score every time. He failed.
That should have been a team plan as it should have been obvious if you watched Nic Nat at East Freo the week before exactly where he was going to tap and how to stop his players running on to the ball.

We must have a plan for almost defiantly going to lose the tap and where to go. Unfortunately didn't seem to be one and Crowden just ran after Shuey the whole game (yep no changes made to counteract during ) as he got clearance after clearance. This is a coaching fault with clearances and Crowden's the fall boy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taylin buddy alls I can suggest is when the inevitable Rosco re-signing happens have your trade request on Bellys desk the next day , if you can't get a gig after a 15 goal flogging and you were best on in the 2's while doing SFA to get dropped in the first place just so Rosco can bring in one of his ' GRP 1 ' horses who has broken down repeatedly when rushed back in .... you have no hope at this club , bail out bro and go and have a nice career somewhere far away from these arsehole's

Unfortunately I'm stuck with these f***heads but get out as quick as you can son and go and be my new Kyle Chaney somewhere else

I would suggest the Roos myself and if you cant boot some of the crabs they have running off halfback out of the side I'll go he , I've never seen you take a backward step yet and the old shinbone business would be perfect for you

P.S. - even my unconditional love would be stressed to breaking point if you go to the Hyenas up the road

Last edited:
Every single assistant coach working for Ross now is not a threat to him or anyone else in the AFL of getting a head coach role. Go look up the article on the 30 assistants most likely to get an AFL role and not one Freo assistant is on it. That's Hale, Rock, Webb, Eastaugh, Geurra, Read, Prior. The only underling of Ross's I rate is opposition analyst Montagna and he's not a threat to RTB as he's not an assistant coach.

Any that could have been a threat are gone, including Sumich and Kirk.
That's not an example. That's just you making assertions you can't back up. If you want rational people to believe anything you say, don't make claims you don't have actual evidence for.

Last edited:
Then what are Brayshaw and Cerra given you’d have to wonder. Hardly fair. After a really positive last season of blooding the youth, seem like we haven’t backed them this year and just played the same plodders without much changes .

Then what are Brayshaw and Cerra given you’d have to wonder. Hardly fair. After a really positive last season of blooding the youth, seem like we haven’t backed them this year and just played the same plodders without much changes .

Obviously Cerra's is don't request a trade back to vicco

I do share the same concern. It's why I didn't like the Colyer move. Not only do I think he is not of sufficient ability to trade for at his age, but all he does it take the development spot of a younger player who might well turn out better.

Someone posted that in one of the other threads. Bizarre on first glance. Can only hope it is because stats don't tell the whole picture.

I was just summarising the views I have been reading ;)

He'd be second only to B Reid or D Wells for most games finished sitting on the bench with ice on your leg in the last few years so why are you getting huffy about people being sceptical ?

That should have been a team plan as it should have been obvious if you watched Nic Nat at East Freo the week before exactly where he was going to tap and how to stop his players running on to the ball.

We must have a plan for almost defiantly going to lose the tap and where to go. Unfortunately didn't seem to be one and Crowden just ran after Shuey the whole game (yep no changes made to counteract during ) as he got clearance after clearance. This is a coaching fault with clearances and Crowden's the fall boy!

How do you know what was asked of Crowden? Maybe they said don’t let him get goal side and he did. Maybe they said play close and he didn’t. Maybe they just asked him to win his own ball and he didn’t.

Look I get people are upset that Crowden got dropped after 1 game and in principle I agree it’s harsh. But the bloke is a deadset spud. 100% certified. Can he improve? You’d hope but the sooner guys like him aren’t playing for Freo the better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back