News Karl Amon signs a three year deal to stay at Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine this thread a few months ago lol

I for one, would have been offering to pay for his bus ride out of Alberton. I'm a little embarrassed, as to how wrong I got it in regards to Amon.

#neverindoubt

My biggest knock on Amon was his attack on the ball - was too soft for my liking. But he's turned around that part of his game. He's goes in hard and can also stick a tackle. I think the coaches deserve credit here. I'm sure that was a focus during pre-season training. He also looks bigger and I think that's given him more confidence. A credit to the strength and conditioning staff.

This year, Amon’s season average for pressure acts is 15 and he’s averaging 3.4 tackles per game - a full tackle above his previous best average of 2.5. Plus his contested possession numbers have gone from 5.9 in 2017 to 7.0 this year.

So he’s improved his defensive game by about 20%. Everything else is almost exactly the same.

This year, Amon’s season average for pressure acts is 15 and he’s averaging 3.4 tackles per game - a full tackle above his previous best average of 2.5. Plus his contested possession numbers have gone from 5.9 in 2017 to 7.0 this year.

So he’s improved his defensive game by about 20%. Everything else is almost exactly the same.

3 more disposals, 2 more marks, 1 more clearance, more inside 50's, more rebound 50's, less clangers, and nearly double the goal assists per game compared to last year. Not to mention the eye test telling apparently everyone on here except you how much has disposal has improved. And all of this before considering that those averages are affected by the game where he got injured two minutes in. God you post some shite sometimes.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting that for the last few years of pre-season training, Amon was the player all the other players when interviewed would say was going to have a breakout year, smashing it in preseason! Each time he has disappointed!

This year everyone here had subsequently wiped him after being let down so often ... And whammo! It suddenly all clicks, and Amon is our most improved player .... Amazing!

I really hope he and the club can come to a deal!

3 more disposals, 2 more marks, 1 more clearance, more inside 50's, more rebound 50's, less clangers, and nearly double the goal assists per game compared to last year. Not to mention the eye test telling apparently everyone on here except you how much has disposal has improved. And all of this before considering that those averages are affected by the game where he got injured two minutes in. God you post some s**t sometimes.

Firstly, do you think I’m being critical of him? I’m not. He’s statistically a 20% better player than he’s been at any point of his career, and 100% better because he works both ways.

Secondly - why would you compare to last year which was a completely different game style which was all about possession in defence? Because I’m quite certain I said I was comparing him to 2017 when we were playing a similar forward half game to this year.

18.7 disposals in 2017 to 18.2 this year. 4.1 marks per game in 2017 to 4.0 this year. 2.1 rebound 50s in 2017 to 1.5 this year. Effective disposal is a marginal improvement - 13.4 in 2017, 13.9 this year - but he’s getting more free kicks which helps with that. Score involvements have hovered around 4 per game his entire career, and they were 4.1 in 2017 and 4.6 this year - probably due to more midfield minutes.

It’s the fact he’s getting more time in inside midfield now that Polec is gone that boosts his clearance and inside 50 numbers. This also helps improve turnover/clanger rate because he’s not always hemmed in on a boundary by constantly playing wing/high forward...plus having teammates hold shape so you know where they are going to be helps.

When you improve your contested possession rate, it means you’re improving your ability to get the loose ball, which is what 80% of contested possessions are. That’s the ball that Amon can pick up in space and have the time to deliver. That’s why he looks better.

He’s improved because he’s not as soft anymore, is willing to get his own ball and help do the defensive work. Speaking of defence, he’s also improved his intercepts from 2.9 in 2017 to 3.4 this year - a 15% jump. It was 1.7 last year - a 100% jump. Oh, and his one percenters jumped from 1 per game in 2017 and 2018 to 1.5 this year - a 50% jump.

Add that to the tackles (if you want to count last year, it was 1.7 to 3.4 this year - another 100% jump. It’s funny how intercepts and tackles are related...almost like it implies some sort of system) and pressure acts, and you see where the massive improvement comes from.

Ken is spot on when he says that defence and willingness to compete and get to the secondary contest - the loose ball - is where it all starts. Everything flows from there.

Was it against Freo last year where Amon kicked the ball out of bounds heaps of times? That was the lowest of the low.

Then last week in the 3rd quarter Amon completely destroyed the crows in the corridor. That was the best quarter I've ever seen from him.

Firstly, do you think I’m being critical of him? I’m not.

No. It just gets a bit tiresome when you consistently act like the attacking side of the game is irrelevant. Like that game where John Butcher had 20 touches and 4 goals against Brisbane and you were all like 'gee his defensive pressure was good, that will get him a game next week'.

Of course Amon's defensive game has improved this year, nobody ever said it hasn't. And his offensive game has improved out of sight too. You can post whatever stats you like trying to display otherwise, but as somebody who actually watches our games and uses the eye test rather than relying completely on data analysis, it's clear for everyone to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. It just gets a bit tiresome when you consistently act like the attacking side of the game is irrelevant. Like that game where John Butcher had 20 touches and 4 goals against Brisbane and you were all like 'gee his defensive pressure was good, that will get him a game next week'.

Of course Amon's defensive game has improved this year, nobody ever said it hasn't. And his offensive game has improved out of sight too. You can post whatever stats you like trying to display otherwise, but as somebody who actually watches our games and uses the eye test rather than relying completely on data analysis, it's clear for everyone to see.

And because I said he’s improved his defensive side, that meant I was attacking the other side of the game did it?

My post was merely pointing out that his biggest improvement has come from his willingness to compete. I never said he didn’t improve other aspects of his game, or that they were irrelevant.

You need to calm down :p

Cheesey Mac

Team Captain
Mar 19, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Sox, Patriots
Was it against Freo last year where Amon kicked the ball out of bounds heaps of times? That was the lowest of the low.

Then last week in the 3rd quarter Amon completely destroyed the crows in the corridor. That was the best quarter I've ever seen from him.

During/after that Freo game I made the comment to a mate that "I never wanted to see him playing for us ever again, he's not up to it, keep the ball in the field of play FFS" etc... Eating those words at the moment, he's been brilliant this year, and would happily retain him on the list on this year's form.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Getting to the loose ball is an attacking action, not a defensive one.

We're getting to more loose balls in 2019 as a team because we have a more attacking mindset. Not defend first, win the ball first.

Amon, as a primarily outside player who can win his own ball when required, is benefiting disproportionately from us getting to more loose balls and winning more ball when the opposition is out of position.

He's taken that extra opportunity and grabbed it with both hands and would be easily our most improved player IMO.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Latest interview in this article sounds positive! .....

Port Adelaide wingman Karl Amon goes from asking for a trade to career-best form, ‘elite’ Champion Data ranking in a year
“Last year was pretty much a year from hell from my perspective,” Amon tells The Advertiser. “Nothing really went right. “(Port coach) Ken (Hinkley) and I had a pretty honest conversation towards the end of the year and with me still having a year on my contract this year, we sort of explored the option to see if there was anything out there.

“I had a disappointing year, I was in and out and wasn’t playing the footy I wanted to be. “We had a look but the fact was nothing eventuated out of that and everything happens for a reason.” Staying at Port was not awkward for Amon – in fact, it helped him clear his mind.

He says him and his manager have been talking with Port list boss Jason Cripps throughout the season about a contract extension but “that’s a decision that will be made later this year”. “I’m playing some all right footy at the moment and for me, (the aim) is to keep playing that and be as consistent as I can,” Amon says.

“I’m sure if I keep playing like this, the club will offer me something later in the year and we’ll sit down and discuss that. “I love being here and the group of boys that we have, I think we’re working towards something and we can go pretty far.”

[More]

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Port Adelaide wingman Karl Amon goes from asking for a trade to career-best form, ‘elite’ Champion Data ranking in a year
“Last year was pretty much a year from hell from my perspective,” Amon tells The Advertiser. “Nothing really went right. “(Port coach) Ken (Hinkley) and I had a pretty honest conversation towards the end of the year and with me still having a year on my contract this year, we sort of explored the option to see if there was anything out there.

“I had a disappointing year, I was in and out and wasn’t playing the footy I wanted to be. “We had a look but the fact was nothing eventuated out of that and everything happens for a reason.” Staying at Port was not awkward for Amon – in fact, it helped him clear his mind.

He says him and his manager have been talking with Port list boss Jason Cripps throughout the season about a contract extension but “that’s a decision that will be made later this year”. “I’m playing some all right footy at the moment and for me, (the aim) is to keep playing that and be as consistent as I can,” Amon says.

“I’m sure if I keep playing like this, the club will offer me something later in the year and we’ll sit down and discuss that. “I love being here and the group of boys that we have, I think we’re working towards something and we can go pretty far.”

[More]

Hope the lad stays. A slightly introverted youngster who has finally believed in himself and the results are showing.

Confidence and trust in yourself has amazing results.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

[More]
Brilliant, the lad wants to stay.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
too late, i have it on good authority he has already agreed to move to a melbourne club.

his form will mean we might get a decent pick or player swap which is a better result than it would have been last year when we couldn't give him away
Well maybe he has had second thoughts if you read today’s article. Seems he is hoping for a contract with Port.

Getting to the loose ball is an attacking action, not a defensive one.

We're getting to more loose balls in 2019 as a team because we have a more attacking mindset. Not defend first, win the ball first.

Amon, as a primarily outside player who can win his own ball when required, is benefiting disproportionately from us getting to more loose balls and winning more ball when the opposition is out of position.

He's taken that extra opportunity and grabbed it with both hands and would be easily our most improved player IMO.

I would call it a neutral or phase transition action. If it’s in the course of a defensive play, like an opposition inside 50, it’s a defensive phase that is the first step to transitioning to attack. The first objective is to make sure the opposition doesn’t get the ball in dispute.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

[More]
Jesus Jason. What are you waiting for?

His price is only going up!

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are elements to what Amon has done this year that don't show up in stats.

All handballs aren't equal. All kicks aren't equal.

Offensively he is finding ways to be in the right position in crucial moments in games time and time again. He is absolutely in sync with his teammates. Was arguably our most important in the third against the cows despite I'm pretty sure no goals and no flashiness. Just an ability to understand where to be and where to give it to maximise the chance of damage.

+1 to all saying offer him three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back