Expansion 28 AFL listed Tasmanians

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Following on from the NSW and Qld AFL player threads, here's the one for Tasmania for those interested. This is increase from the 24 I listed in 2008, so maybe things haven't been quite so disastrous for Tassie as some have indicated. See what sort of team you can make up with this (though it really couldn't compete with NSW but might give Queensland a problem or 2). As usual, please let me know of any errors/omissions -

Tasmanian AFL Players

1 Hugh Greewood Adel Lauderdale (Hobart)

2 Chayse Jones Adel Launceston

3 Mitch Robinson Bris Lauderdale (Hobart)

4 Liam Jones Carl North Hobart

5 Andrew Phillips Carl Lauderdale (Hobart)

6 Levi Casboult Carl Beaconsfield

7 Jeremy Howe Coll Dodges Ferry/Hobart

8 Brody Mihocek Coll Burnie

9 Tom Bellchambers Ess North Launceston

10 Hugh Dixon Fre Kingborough (Hobart)

11 Alex Pearce Fre Ulverstone/Launceston

12 Jake Kolodjashnij Gee Prospect (Launceston)

13 Lachie Weller GCS Burnie

14 Grant Birchall Haw Devonport

15 Tim Mohr Haw Launceston

16 Kade Kolodjashnij Mel Prospect (Launceston)

17 Jay Lockhart Mel North Launceston

18 Tarryn Thomas NM North Launceston

19 Aaron Hall NM North Hobart

20 Ben Brown NM Devonport

21 Jack Riewoldt Rich Clarence (Hobart)

22 Maverick Weller Rich Burnie

23 Toby Nankervis Rich George Town (north coast)

24 Fraser Turner Rich Clarence (Hobart)

25 Jimmy Webster StK Glenorchy (Hobart)

26 Jackson Thurlow Syd Launceston

27 Robbie Fox Syd Burnie

28 Ryan Gardner WB Burnie

Last edited:

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Following on from the NSW and Qld AFL player threads, here's the one for Tasmania for those interested. This is increase from the 24 I listed in 2008, so maybe things haven't been quite so disastrous for Tassie as some have indicated. See what sort of team you can make up with this (though it really couldn't compete with NSW but might give Queensland a problem or 2). As usual, please let me know of any errors/omissions -

Tasmanian AFL Players

1 Hugh Greewood Adel Lauredalele (Hobart)

2 Chayse Jones Adel Launceston

3 Mitch Robinson Bris Lauredalele (Hobart)

4 Liam Jones Carl North Hobart

5 Andrew Phillips Carl Lauredalele (Hobart)

6 Jeremy Howe Coll Dodges Ferry/Hobart

7 Brody Mihocek Coll Burnie

8 Tom Bellchambers Ess North Launceston

9 Hugh Dixon Fre Kingborough (Hobart)

10 Alex Pearce Fre Ulverstone/Launceston

11 Jake Kolodjashnij Gee Prospect (Launceston)

12 Lachie Weller GCS Burnie

13 Grant Birchall Haw Devonport

14 Tim Mohr Haw Launceston

15 Kade Kolodjashnij Mel Prospect (Launceston)

16 Jay Lockhart Mel North Launceston

17 Tarryn Thomas NM North Launceston

18 Aaron Hall NM North Hobart

19 Ben Brown NM Devonport

20 Jack Riewoldt Rich Clarence (Hobart)

21 Maverick Weller Rich Burnie

22 Toby Nankervis Rich George Town (north coast)

23 Fraser Turner Rich Clarence (Hobart)

24 Jimmy Webster StK Glenorchy (Hobart)

25 Jackson Thurlow Syd Launceston

26 Robbie Fox Syd Burnie

27 Ryan Gardner WB Burnie
Levi Casboult appears to belong to Tasmania as well: https://www.themercury.com.au/sport...t/news-story/dbc85f9dad0229c68645e3dbd1640c7f

Carlton AFL player Levi Casboult, who was born and raised in Hobart, was a special guest.

Mr Edwards said many people did not realise Levi was born in Hobart, where he attended Calvin Christian School, and lived in Tasmania until he was about 15.

Levi Casboult, like Graeme and Charlie — and George Challis — was born and raised in Tasmania. His early allegiance to Carlton was influenced by relatives on his mother’s side. For years his preferred football code was soccer, and it was not until he was 16, after his family moved to Melbourne, that he found himself drawn to making Australian rules his priority.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If they had one in 1930's Laurie Nash could have played any interstate team and beat them all on his own.
Just ask him.

;) Bunt says hi,
Bradman thought he went OK on a cricket field too, give Nash the nod at cricket, not footy.
Brownlows 31/32, 35 (runner up 34)
Sandovers 38, 39 & 41

What a dismal reflection on the AFL support of one of our proudest nurserys.

How so?

Per capita, they're doing pretty well, and the low population in Tas (especially in the relevant demographic) is hardly the AFL's fault.

Based on how Tas previously/historically punched above their weight, has something gone wrong, if so what?

Did they really?

Sure, they've had some star players, but so have most regional areas.

Also, it's worth remembering that their population has been in relative decline for a long time. At federation, the population of Tas was pretty close to that of WA for example. (175K v 193K) and while back then they were 1/7th of Vic (1.2M), now they're ~1/12th (and with a noticeably higher average age too).

As relative population declines, so will relative output of players.

It's probably a bit worse now, somewhat ironically due to better junior development, and Tas would miss out on that to a degree, but no worse than other regional areas. The best coaches/equipment/programs will (and should) be in the areas that will benefit the most kids, and that means Melbourne/Perth/Adelaide rather than Bairnsdale/Albany/Mt Gambier/Launceston.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thanks for the list.

Anyone who says that Tasmania would have a hope in hell against NSW/ACT or even Queensland is delusional.
Thanks for the list.

Anyone who says that Tasmania would have a hope in hell against NSW/ACT or even Queensland is delusional.
You can’t compare the situations Mate absolutely no resources from the AFL have been put in to development in Tasmania until recently compared to the hundreds of millions in nsw and Queensland plus having four AFL teams based in those states it’s staggering the amount of quality players Tasmania have produced over the years with no help give us the same resources and a team and I have no doubt in time we would produce just as many players if not more then NSW and Queensland !

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
You can’t compare the situations Mate absolutely no resources from the AFL have been put in to development in Tasmania until recently compared to the hundreds of millions in nsw and Queensland plus having four AFL teams based in those states it’s staggering the amount of quality players Tasmania have produced over the years with no help give us the same resources and a team and I have no doubt in time we would produce just as many players if not more then NSW and Queensland !

I am not really comparing them as such. I was more responding to a person in one of the other threads (I think the Queensland one) that said Tasmania should play NSW/ACT in State of Origin. I think that matchup would be a bad idea as I doubt Tasmania could get within 150 points of the Rams.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If they had one in 1930's Laurie Nash could have played any interstate team and beat them all on his own.
Just ask him.
Would have qualified as a Vic under the last set of Origin rules, didn't move to Tas until late teens or something.
But, yeah, the ultimate figjam by all accounts.

I am not really comparing them as such. I was more responding to a person in one of the other threads (I think the Queensland one) that said Tasmania should play NSW/ACT in State of Origin. I think that matchup would be a bad idea as I doubt Tasmania could get within 150 points of the Rams.
Nah, if Origin with proper states (and a territory) was to come back, NSW and Qld might have to play off to decide who was the 4th team in division 1.
I wouldn't expect either to be close to WA or Vic, maybe stick with SA for much of a game though. Tas would probably beat NT, but that's no certainty.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Nah, if Origin with proper states (and a territory) was to come back, NSW and Qld might have to play off to decide who was the 4th team in division 1.
I wouldn't expect either to be close to WA or Vic, maybe stick with SA for much of a game though. Tas would probably beat NT, but that's no certainty.

On paper at least NSW/ACT is a better team than South Australia.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Thanks for the list.

No doubt, which is a disgrace.

The other two have been sucking the AFL mango for far too long

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah I agree a senior state of origin game at the moment we wouldn’t fair to well but if you look at results from last year when we finally started to get some help with development we had 2 players taken top ten in the draft and won the under 18 academy/division2 championships with our own team I think it would turn around quickly!

Jak!x

Club Legend
May 7, 2013
The Border Of Sanity
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors
Had a stab at a line up, very weak through the middle with only part time mid/forwards to partner Greenwood. Lots of tall timber, especially up forward. Backline is decent enough with rebounding in Weller, Howe, Webster and Birchall. Few exciting young players in J. Kolo, Pearce, C. Jones, T. Thomas and Mihocek.
Obviously doesn't stack up against the other states but considering their population and resources you'd have to think that they're batting above their average with the talent they provide to the AFL.

FB - J. Webster, A. Pearce, J. Kolojashnij
HB - L. Weller, J. Howe, G. Birchall
C - K. Kolojashnij, M. Robinson, C. Jones
HF - T. Thomas, B. Mihocek, J. Lockhart
FF - J. Riewoldt, B. Brown, M. Weller
Foll - T. Nankervis, H. Greenwood, A. Hall
Int - T. Bellchambers, J. Thurlow, T. Mohr, L. Casboult

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
For a professor who is also a knowall, that's an extremely creative way to spell "Lauderdale" (3 times!)
Haha ... I swear I was only tired, not drunk. At least I was consistent. This also reminds me that I upset a few 10 years ago when I relocated Lauderdale to Launceston, so it's not the first time Lauredalele or Lauredale or Lauderdale, whatever it is, has caused me trouble.

Anyway l'm now feeling very warm and fuzzy about all things Tasmanian after watching Mihocek's 4 goals last night!

Back