Lack of Respect for the History of our Great Game by Interstate Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Have the greatest respect for the Eagles and what they have achieved. That is not the point of this thread. Just because we celebrate the current doesn't mean we ignore the past.

Sorry, my post wasn’t aimed at the OP, but at the dimwit I quoted. However, I disagree with the premise that a supposedly national competition should glorify and honour the achievements of one league over all others.

The very fact that non-Victorian teams are still labeled as interstate says a lot about how close we are to a truly national competition.

I assume you're talking about the Premiers' challenge matches. You're missing the part where the Vic Clubs got on the piss on Grand Final night and stopped drinking, briefly, on the morning of the exhibition games. While their WA and SA counterparts trained through "to show the Vics".

Nope, wrong again. The WAFL clubs had been drinking all week also as they were celebrating winning the ultimate prize in footy in WA just as the Vic clubs were celebrating winning the ultimate prize in footy in Victoria.

I've heard the 'Vics have nothing to prove and they played above themselves to beat us arguments too, many times. I don't find them that convincing.

Of course you don't.

It makes a lot more sense to believe that a much smaller state in population, which sent at least half of its best players to Victoria to play at the higher level as full time professionals STILL somehow maintained an equal (or often heard from South Australians) superior level of football.

Who could argue with the logic of that?

Sorry, my post wasn’t aimed at the OP, but at the dimwit I quoted. However, I disagree with the premise that a supposedly national competition should glorify and honour the achievements of one league over all others.

The very fact that non-Victorian teams are still labeled as interstate says a lot about how close we are to a truly national competition.

What do West Australians call other parts of Australia?

Of course you don't.

It makes a lot more sense to believe that a much smaller state in population, which sent at least half of its best players to Victoria to play at the higher level as full time professionals STILL somehow maintained an equal (or often heard from South Australians) superior level of football.

Who could argue with the logic of that?

Well I never said that from memory. And you hit on a previously raised point. SA and WA could produce players as good as that in Victoria, but not in the same numbers, that's the population thing working its advantage for you. So more depth and more money which gives you the option of also buying in players from other states.
This is going to make you a strong league.
Now, the thing about full time professionals, I didn't think that was happening until the late 80's with the inception of the Eagles and the move of the league as a whole to have professional entities rather than suburban clubs complete with players who were full time.
Now, obviously you would know what was happening (a lot more than I would)in the VFL previous to this so I'd be interested to hear what was happening with players during this time.

In fairness, I see this largely as Port Adelaide and Freo issue.....Port just offended the rest of the footy world doesn’t count there SANFL flags as though they were won in the VFL/AFL era. And Freo because there ‘history’ since joining the comp is a disgrace, so they have to try and co-opt the rich WAFL Fremantle footy heritage into there own somehow.

Sorry?! When was St Kilda’s last (only) flag? Imagine if VFL history was treated with the same disdain as all the other leagues. There would be a few other clubs with a similar ‘disgraceful’ history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be an absolute lack of respect for the history of our great game by some Interstate clubs supporters simply because their clubs were not present.

Should Carlton forget about champions such as Nicholls and Jesaulenko because they only played in 12 team competitions?

Should the legends of the Colliers and Coventry’s be wiped from the record books because they played iagaindt ‘suburban’ teams’ ?

Should the Coleman medal be renamed the ‘Kennedy Medal’ because the great man played in a time of ‘amateur’ footballers and should Reynolds exploits be ignored?

Perhaps Bunton and Murray should be thrown on the scrap heap.

Maybe the immortal that is EJ Whitten should be relegated to suburban footballer and forget about Charlie Sutton.

Farmer and Goggin should be removed because they were not part of the AFL. Even Ablett’s 9 goal GF heroics would be wiped.

Matthews the greatest of them all would not be considered with the modern greats because he played in pre AFL

Barrassi and the immortal Demons teams of the 50s and 60s should not be celebrated due to the the fact they didn’t play in the expansion. The Norm Smith medal should be renamed

Grieg and Dempsey only played part time and could not possibly rank with the greats of today

Forget the Jack Dyer medal, Tigers fans should ignore his legend and rename it the Dusty medal. As for Hart and Bartlett they would not rate.

Pratt’s 150 and Nash’s heroics do not count

Baldock and Stewart ??? Who ???

And well we are at let’s rename ‘Up there Cazaly’ - Up there Modra
and the Jock McHale medal the ‘Simpson Medal’. No matter what era, no matter how long ago, a champion of the game is a champion of the game. They were the best on a level playing field against their peers. A Premiership whether Essendon in 1897 or West Coasts in 2018 was just as important. The history of our great game has been carved and written and for those who don’t like it the answer is simple. Stop whinging about our past and go and make your own history.

The hypocrisy is astounding. How much respect do you show to the long history of West Australian footy? Victorian footy is essentially the only history that is celebrated!

Go back to your hole.

Cheers. I only refer to them as interstate as they are interstate from where I live

The hypocrisy is astounding. How much respect do you show to the long history of West Australian footy? Victorian footy is essentially the only history that is celebrated!

Go back to your hole.

I show an enormous amount actually but thanks for the rudeness anyway.

I show an enormous amount actually but thanks for the rudeness anyway.

Rudeness? Your putting a thread on the main board saying how people outside Victoria don't respect your long history? Are you kidding me? Turn on the tv mate. Ridiculous. This is the cultural equivalent of a white man shouting racism.

Probably the funniest post ever seen on BF. Pot calling the kettle black.
If any state is guilty of not respecting, acknowledging and admiring the history of Australian Rules it’s Victoria. They are the kings of not being able to see outside their backyard.
We have had your history and tradition rammed down our throat for 30 years and I don’t see anyone asking for it to be wiped.
Yet I don’t see Victorians acknowledging Port Adelaides achievements, East Fremantles 30 flags, Craig Bradleys 473 games of league football etc etc.
We accept the VFL grew into the national comp, over the journey we have been shafted from pillow to post with finals scheduling to suit Victorians, tv scheduling to suit Victorians, decisions on the future of the game to suit Victorians.
How dare we question such a bias and pathetically run comp.
If anyone needs to go and do some research about the true history of the game at the top level it is Victorians, unfortunately it does not always paint a pretty picture for your clubs as they are not as great as you thought they were.
Spare me your sooking, we have accepted it as it is, we acknowledge the total football history at the top level not just the VFL.
Absolutely pathetic thread and one which clearly shows how insecure Victorian footy supporters are.

Glad your tanty is over now. If you actually read further you will see I have the greatest respect for all states and their histories. I have actually studied them extensively. You claim this is the funniest post but you don’t seem to be laughing you seem agitated.

Not exactly true.

The VFL was not viable in it's (then) current form. On the other hand, it was generating heaps of revenue and with certain adjustments was very much an ongoing viable operation. Never would be as big as the AFL became, but viable. The licence fees which it are popularly believed in Adelaide and Perth to have saved the AFL were in fact a very small proportion of annual revenue of the time.

A lot of people in Victorian football were keen to see the law of the jungle make the necessary changes before expansion, and it is an arguable case that we'd have a much better AFL now if that had been allowed to happen.

The WAFL was basicly a corpse with a stick up it's butt holding it upright. SA footy was comparatively healthy, but had nowhere to go. Without entry to the VFL SA was never going to be more than a backwater feeder league, but SA also had the ability to wait for its own terms.

For different reasons, all three benefited from the expansion. But it is ironic, given the current WA mythology to the contrary, that the timing and speed of the expansion was driven by the imminent collapse of WA football. That in turn resulted in the weaker Victorian Clubs having sufficient leverage to demand a cash bail out as part of the deal for their yes vote.

The hypocrisy is staggering. The ignorance is unsurprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back