Traded Hugh Greenwood [traded to Gold Coast for 2020 3rd, 2020 4th]

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wait Reilly was 2nd in the league in intercepts? I didn’t know that can you show me that stat??

MCrouch
BCrouch
Sloane
Neale
Zorko
Rich
McCluggage
Lyons
Robinson
Cripps
Murphy
Walsh
Curnow
Pendlebury
Treloar
Sidebottom
Beams
Phillips
Shiel
Merrett
Heppell
Parish
Zaharakis
Fyfe
Langdon
Mundy
Hill
Kelly
Coniglio
Hopper
Taranto
De Boer
Whitfield
Dangerfield
Duncan
Kelly
Selwood
Fiorini
Swallow
O’Meara
Worpel
Smith
Henderson
Shiels
Scully
Oliver
Brayshaw
Viney
Harmes
Jones
Cunnington
Higgins
Polec
Ziebell
Boak
Wines
Rockliff
Martin
Cotchin
Gresham
Steele
Billings
Ross
JPK
Parker
Hewett
Hannebery
Shuey
Redden
Sheed
Yeo
Gaff
Macrae
Bont
Dunkley
Libba
Hunter

That’s 77 off the top of my head and that doesn’t even include mid forwards like Ablett, Gray, Walters, Lambert etc that spend a fair bit of time in the middle and are way better.
Well looks like you are out by quite a bit in your list according to champion data..

Their list is fantastic.
Their performances and coaching is disastrous.

They also had a ton of injuries this year.

CD is certainly not the be-all and end-all, but its one factor to consider that takes into account a lot of other things.
I think the rankings from them colour in between the lines for people who have already drawn (see the pun) their conclusions and are looking for validation.
There was a period of time where Luke McPharlin was simultaneously not in the top defenders (and not in the top 200 players I believe) yet every tall forward I was able to get their opinion on who they least wanted to match up on would say Luke McPharlin.

So I have an opinion of them coloured by that.

I have no issue with Adelaide and their supporters wanting to extract as much value out of Hugh Greenwood as possible. There is an argument that if a player is offered a contract of certain value then it dictates the trade, but if the club they are at now won't get close to that contract figure then it also speaks about how valuable that player is the to the club.

Let's say for example that the Broome Sticks offered Greenwood a three year $500,000 per year deal. That's actually a lot of money in the AFL. 66% of players earn less than $400,000. I'd be expecting the Sticks to cough up a second round pick.

But if the Uluru Rockers were Greenwood's preferred choice and they were paying a three year $250,000 deal which Adelaide weren't interested in getting near then that would be a later pick because his value isn't recognised by either side in the most true representation - how much he is paid.

63% of AFL players are paid $100,000 to $400,000. If his pay is between that range per year I don't think there is going to be much chance of a pick before 30.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the rankings from them colour in between the lines for people who have already drawn (see the pun) their conclusions and are looking for validation.
There was a period of time where Luke McPharlin was simultaneously not in the top defenders (and not in the top 200 players I believe) yet every tall forward I was able to get their opinion on who they least wanted to match up on would say Luke McPharlin.

I have no issue with Adelaide and their supporters wanting to extract as much value out of Hugh Greenwood as possible. There is an argument that if a player is offered a contract of certain value then it dictates the trade, but if the club they are at now won't get close to that contract figure then it also speaks about how valuable that player is the to the club.

Let's say for example that the Broome Sticks offered Greenwood a three year $500,000 per year deal. That's actually a lot of money in the AFL. 66% of players earn less than $400,000. I'd be expecting the Sticks to cough up a second round pick.

But if the Uluru Rockers were Greenwood's preferred choice and they were paying a three year $250,000 deal which Adelaide weren't interested in getting near then that would be a later pick because his value isn't recognised by either side in the most true representation - how much he is paid.

63% of AFL players are paid $100,000 to $400,000. If his pay is between that range per year I don't think there is going to be much chance of a pick before 30.
One thing this does not factor is is that right now to attract good players (we all agree greenwood fits that category) they are having to pay a premium...it will eventually change but that is where they are currently at

One thing this does not factor is is that right now to attract good players (we all agree greenwood fits that category) they are having to pay a premium...it will eventually change but that is where they are currently at
That is how players moving clubs has worked for a long, long time. You pay them and you pay them up front.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
That is how players moving clubs has worked for a long, long time. You pay them and you pay them up front.
It has..but lets say hawthorn are also in the hunt..you would thing GC would have to be substantially above the hawthorn offer to get him there (unless he is one of the rare players at this time who's preference is to play there)

It has..but lets say hawthorn are also in the hunt..you would thing GC would have to be substantially above the hawthorn offer to get him there (unless he is one of the rare players at this time who's preference is to play there)
We are discussing a guy who grew up in Tasmania and has played away from home as a sportsman since 2011. I expect he will play for the best deal offered.

WA and SA players are already travelling every second week, the thing that Gold Coast offers that neither of WA, SA or VIC do is that you can go for a walk down the street and not have people talk to you about football.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are discussing a guy who grew up in Tasmania and has played away from home as a sportsman since 2011. I expect he will play for the best deal offered.

WA and SA players are already travelling every second week, the thing that Gold Coast offers that neither of WA, SA or VIC do is that you can go for a walk down the street and not have people talk to you about football.
Yes to all of that but players typically want to win. Money and security is also a big motivator to everyone setting up in life. So sure hugh travels etc but to ward off the lure of a vic powerhouse club it is going to require a substantially bigger offer...

Yes to all of that but players typically want to win. Money and security is also a big motivator to everyone setting up in life. So sure hugh travels etc but to ward off the lure of a vic powerhouse club it is going to require a substantially bigger offer...
I don't think your argument of wanting to win comes into it, he currently plays for Adelaide and Adelaide do well. If he is moving then I agree, it's a money issue, but it doesn't have to be significant - just more than Adelaide are willing to commit to.

It could be $250,000 a year. The NBL contract he broke to move to Adelaide might have only been worth $240,000 total over the three years.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think your argument of wanting to win comes into it, he currently plays for Adelaide and Adelaide do well. If he is moving then I agree, it's a money issue, but it doesn't have to be significant - just more than Adelaide are willing to commit to.

It could be $250,000 a year. The NBL contract he broke to move to Adelaide might have only been worth $240,000 total over the three years.
Again i can only stress that if multiple clubs are in the hunt..hugh and his management would be crazy to not play them off against each other if he has no preference to where he moves...if that is the case then if GC and hawthorn are around the same money then the lure of playing at a big vic club is in all liklihood the deal breaker....unless GC can blow them financially out of the water. This is assuming both clubs are offering enough to entice him to leave adelaide

Edit..and to be able to blow another club out of the water financially is exactly what the AFL should be doing to help GC in such a case...far better than a PP

Edit..and to be able to blow another club out of the water financially is exactly what the AFL should be doing to help GC in such a case...far better than a PP

I floated the idea of Gold Coast being able to sign any out of contract player as an unrestricted free agent in another thread - that would determine the compensation pick to Adelaide but I'm not expecting the supporters will be happy with what comes back.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I floated the idea of Gold Coast being able to sign any out of contract player as an unrestricted free agent in another thread - that would determine the compensation pick to Adelaide but I'm not expecting the supporters will be happy with what comes back.
I agree..again with you here..rather than a PP the scenario you suggest is a good one. Then any club that loses a player gets the free agency compo..this year i could live with that

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker

There are certainly flaws.
Key defenders are one of the big ones.

Daniel Talia suffers the same problem that McPharlin did (by the way he was very underrated league wide)

I agree with what you're saying, but given the interest in him already, I would say there will be a mini bidding war.
Which given his career situation (late starter, probably last contract) he would probably take the highest offer.

The thing is there will definitely be a decent offer on the table from AFC. Its just whether someone else is willing to offer overs I guess.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker

Certainly beats the idea of a priority pick, which gives them nothing in the short term.
The one me and the boys were discussing the other day is they can get a priority pick but they have to trade it for an established player otherwise they forfeit it?
I'm sure theres issues with that theory somewhere. It was a 5 min chat.

The other discussion went much further in depth and had a year by year assessment if any teams need assistance. If they do they can sign a 'marquee player' outside the salary cap (like GC and GWS had at the start). The AFL assesses every year (and determines a year in advance to give teams time to juggle) whether the team still requires the help.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And considering their are fans of Carlton, North, Essendon, St Kilda, Collingwood, Hawthorn, GCS, and Freo in here all claiming he would be a perfect fit for their team, and the fact that Hugh only really has this contract negotiation, that bidding war might end up being the key point to signing him, and end up quite fierce!
This is exactly where the AFL should be giving assistance to the Suns, to help them outbid the rest (both in trade offers and salary offers) for player like Greenwood who is in demand. I think an end of first round priority pick and some extra cap would enable this, improve them instantly and add a little credibility to their image.

Last edited:

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is exactly where the AFL should be giving assistance to the Suns, to help them outbid the rest (both in trade offers and salary offers) for player like Greenwood who is in demand. I think an end of first round priority pick and some extra cap would enable this, improve them instantly and add a little credibility to their image.
Hard to argue with that. They don't need more 18 year old kids from traditional footy states who have already been told by their favorite clubs that they will come after them in 2 years. They need strong, established players that are going to the club to play in the prime of their career, all the way until the end.

Realistically Greenwood is the perfect candidate, and the end of 1st round pp I think is fair value, and would be fair to the competition in terms of AFL assistance! i.e. wont compromise anyone's 1st round!

Greenwood still needs to want to go there.

He will, if they pay him more than anyone else by some distance.
I wouldn't be so certain anyone would want to join a club who's campaigning for a priority pick.

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
GCS need to be super aggressive in pursuit of players that have value and Greenwood would fit that mould but they dont want to pay massive overs 600k 3 years would be a good start.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Plus topless women on the beaches, and Mangos are two for a dollar.

Back