Preview Rd 17 Geelong V St Kilda Sat July 13 @ GMHBA 730 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon 1-2 in the VFL. He won’t spend long there. Extremely fit human.
I highly rate Menegola and think he will play a big roll for you guys come finals.
the young guys have stepped up in his absence..be a tough call on who gets dropped for him.
all the best on the weekend.

Conditions could be atrocious tomorrow if things don’t improve. Windy as all hell in Geelong (and I assume elsewhere) the past couple of days. Don’t expect accurate goal kicking from either side if it keeps up.

Has there been any commentary rel, to Kolo.. he must have pulled up OK

A few players will have to show more than they have for a while...
concussions are given til the last minute, almost literally it appears; Thursday selection means not much

Curious that Buzza (or Fort) isn't even an emergency.

Would indicate that either:
1. They are 100% sure Esava is over his hamstring complaint and plays
2. That if he still isn't quite right by Saturday that they'll bring in Henry to play forward.

Would have thought we'd learnt our lesson if it's the second scenario

2. That if he still isn't quite right by Saturday that they'll bring in Henry to play forward.

He was supposedly ok to play last week but gave him extra time. No need to have an emergency for someone who is not under a cloud.

You seen him play finals? Not good.

He has had a couple of good ones ... but the ones that really mattered he was quiet. When he has played this year - he has not been in the middle as much ... and the wing/flanks seem to suit him ... so potentially he could play well considering he is on the outside utilising his endurance more effectively.

One can hope at least.

You seen him play finals? Not good.
last year the team was not good..not just him.
I think he has the ability to stand up when the hard tags are on Kelly/Danger and be a match winner. kicks goals and gets around the ground well.
I don't remember the finals of 2017..but I'm sure he wasn't your worst by a long way.
I'm tipping you guys for the cup this year....he will be a big part of it I reckon.

Conditions could be atrocious tomorrow if things don’t improve. Windy as all hell in Geelong (and I assume elsewhere) the past couple of days. Don’t expect accurate goal kicking from either side if it keeps up.
We will handle the conditions at home far better than the saints in this type of weather imo

last year the team was not good..not just him.
I think he has the ability to stand up when the hard tags are on Kelly/Danger and be a match winner. kicks goals and gets around the ground well.
I don't remember the finals of 2017..but I'm sure he wasn't your worst by a long way.
I'm tipping you guys for the cup this year....he will be a big part of it I reckon.
His finals record merely mirrors the team’s but he’s a scapegoat around these parts.

In an uncertain environment the default approach will be caution and control.

The more the AFL tries to change the rules to force an aggressive mindset, the more teams and coaches will try to resist it. You won't get attacking footy until teams are confident their destiny is fully in their own hands.

In an uncertain environment they fall to doing what they think has the best chance for success. It needs to be made less achievable without attack aand risking possession. Im not sure how it can be done now..they have almost killed the golden goose.

The coaches are so focused on their own little piece of turf the cant see that the whole park has weeds. In the end they will force desperate change that is not just trimming the finger nails but is the whole finger.

Just how many of these coaches actually follow the game when they are not inside it and involved and getting paid for their involvement. They are like the army saying their role is to maintain peace while the prepare for war.. To win they are willing to destruct

I agree that what they have done is expose the weakness in the game tradition structure. By having a timed game then a team doesnt have to reach a mark of achievement ..it only has to deny an opponent getting above them.. be a very different game if it was first to 100 for eg. The the way they have abused the numbers on the field .. imagine a game of basketball compared to netball. Basketball full court transition if they had ten players on the court that traditionally stayed in the position .. then suddenly they change and make it full transition ..10 V 10 each end of a basketball court would make it a clog fest. The game of A Football originally had player in positions not roles.. by having so much transition now they should play it with 14 or 15 on the ground. Possibly the worst thing ever agreed to was subs.. it just allowed the addition of fitness type to push the game towards a less skilled & intuitive but very organised sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.. it was quoted again tonight on 360..it was from a 3aw interview...

The full quote on 360 was ...

A lot of coaches have a defence first focus... what you see now is because there is limited rotations , teams defend with the footy ...and of course teams are going to defend with the footy . Its a no brainer .. Matty Scarlett on 3AW

I think this tactic is in response to goals from turnover and the effect fatigue has on turning it over.
It's high risk to go all out attack now as teams have become so good at scoring from turnover. Fatigue will create more turnovers in this situation as skills drop off when fatigued
Our approach is to build attack slowly from the back half and move it with less risk between the arcs - this retains possession and once we get it inside 50 we play the pressure game to keep it in there or get repeat entries and score. On he whole this has worked wonderfully.
Earlier in the year we read it better and pulled the trigger quicker allowing for more one on ones and our F50 conversion was off the charts.
I hope we see a return to this style as those bursts of strong goal scoring can basically decide the game - as we are much , much better at not having huge score runs against us this season.

In an uncertain environment they fall to doing what they think has the best chance for success. It needs to be made less achievable without attack aand risking possession. Im not sure how it can be done now..they have almost killed the golden goose.

The coaches are so focused on their own little piece of turf the cant see that the whole park has weeds. In the end they will force desperate change that is not just trimming the finger nails but is the whole finger.

Just how many of these coaches actually follow the game when they are not inside it and involved and getting paid for their involvement. They are like the army saying their role is to maintain peace while the prepare for war.. To win they are willing to destruct

I agree that what they have done is expose the weakness in the game tradition structure. By having a timed game then a team doesnt have to reach a mark of achievement ..it only has to deny an opponent getting above them.. be a very different game if it was first to 100 for eg. The the way they have abused the numbers on the field .. imagine a game of basketball compared to netball. Basketball full court transition if they had ten players on the court that traditionally stayed in the position .. then suddenly they change and make it full transition ..10 V 10 each end of a basketball court would make it a clog fest. The game of A Football originally had player in positions not roles.. by having so much transition now they should play it with 14 or 15 on the ground. Possibly the worst thing ever agreed to was subs.. it just allowed the addition of fitness type to push the game towards a less skilled & intuitive but very organised sport.

Modern team ball sports are all about pressure and reduction of time and space for decision making. The more congested game these days is simply a byproduct of the fact that AFL coaches transposed that "maximise pressure to minimise decision making time" philosophy across from other sports to our own. Time and space are the most valuable currency to any sportsperson, so coaches will *always* want to deny it to their opponents. The quixotic belief that getting players to go back to "trusting their instinct" and "taking more risks" will be enough on its own to overcome sophisticated modern tactics and instill more excitement and higher scoring back in to the game strikes me as both naive and untenable. Coaches will always try to win at all costs no matter the method so whatever solution there is needs to acknowledge that reality; if "taking more risks" isn't conducive to winning, then coaches will discourage their players from doing it.

The way to increase decision making and time for players - the bedrock of a more exciting and high scoring game - has to come, therefore, from a source outside coaching tactics. This is why I'm still resolute in my belief that the best way to increase scoring and improve aesthetics without compromising the spirit and fundamentals of the game itself is to simply reduce the number of players. Go to 16 players on the field instead of 18 (which a) widens the gaps in the zone defence and b) eases congestion around the contest) and have only 2 or 3 on the bench (which will mitigate the insane fitness levels of modern professional footballers and mean players tire more easily, thereby opening up space)

Last edited:
Earlier in the year we read it better and pulled the trigger quicker allowing for more one on ones and our F50 conversion was off the charts.
I hope we see a return to this style as those bursts of strong goal scoring can basically decide the game - as we are much , much better at not having huge score runs against us this season.

Agree.

Ive been seen quite a bit of revisionist history in here since last week's loss about our style of play this year, particularly in reference to how "watchable" we've been. Quite a few people are trying to push this narrative that we have this super boring style of play as if the way we have player post-bye is representative of the way we've been going about it all year. I mean, yes, we've been going wide a lot instead of through the corridor all year, that much has been consistent, but for the first 10 or so rounds we were, as you say, pulling the trigger very quickly in transition and getting lots of one on ones inside 50. We were higher scoring than any other team and generally one of the best teams to watch during that period. People have short memories.

He is in your best 22 this week as well. Best 22 is your team if there were no injuries. What exactly do people think best 22 is?

707762 1562913421758.png

Abbott is though?

Good, means the planned rest was not needed.
Better that Kolo gets the appropriate time out too.
ZG no go, suits me; he's like a Buzza in some ways, nqr, but could be useful in times of need.
My post was in response to Henry needing a rest, and you were clearly spot on with your assessment, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back