No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
suns start wasn’t too bad ...there was a real buzz around the place..everyone talking about the suns...took swans a bit of time to get going and a lot of money was spent there.

Plus GC population is around 600k and we have a lot of young people playing in junior teams. So at some stage we will have a fair few home grown players with family ties here.
It took the Swans enough time with Sydney's population at 3.2 Mill in 1982 when they moved up there.

Then the AFL start a new team in the Gold coast with a population of 495K when the sport is declining due to kids heading towards others sports at an alarming rate.

Yep, makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

sydney is rugby league heartland...gold coast has lots of people from victoria and other regions so should be easier to entice interest towards aussie rules. as an example majority of our cirlce of friends are really into aussie rules with next to zero interest in rugby league. Titans also struggling.

anyway im hoping suns can survive.

sydney is rugby league heartland...gold coast has lots of people from victoria and other regions so should be easier to entice interest towards aussie rules. as an example majority of our cirlce of friends are really into aussie rules with next to zero interest in rugby league. Titans also struggling.

Do you think Norf should have gone up there when they had the chance?

Gold Coast is my second favourite spot in Australia

not really....i think starting a new club here was the right move. north would be better off in tassie imo
Ben Brown agrees.

Roos always struggle with supporter base numbers. Would have thought it makes sense to expand but easy to say about ANOTHER club relocating.

IMO tassie would need (and deserve) their own identity.

Ben Brown agrees.

Roos always struggle with supporter base numbers. Would have thought it makes sense to expand but easy to say about ANOTHER club relocating.

IMO tassie would need (and deserve) their own identity.
yeah thats true...easy to talk about relocating another club...im not sure why tassie still dont have a team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evans in an article on foxsports.com ....suggesting a third qld club down the track could be possible based on high particpitaion numbers in aussie rules...265,000 in qld compared to ~45000 in tassie
That's laughable considering the problems the qld clubs face. About time the AFL embrace a full NATIONAL game. Why not have a NT based side along with Tas? 20 teams, play each other once. I know there's the dilution of quality argument but i feel that comes down to resources in development too. Maybe this can also be looked at "down the track".

That's laughable considering the problems the qld clubs face. About time the AFL embrace a full NATIONAL game. Why not have a NT based side along with Tas? 20 teams, play each other once. I know there's the dilution of quality argument but i feel that comes down to resources in development too. Maybe this can also be looked at "down the track".

Pretty sure the conditions in Darwin would make it pretty difficult.

I would grant two new licences for 2025 with one for tassie and the other up for grabs (maybe n.t provided they built an indoor stadium, maybe 3rd w.a. team, maybe vic country with 4 games at ballarat, bendigo and wodonga) Each consortium has to put a proposal together showing facilities, sponsorship, turnover etc.

Tassie licencee buys an extra home game from a struggling vic club and plays 6 at launceston and six at hobart with both grounds being upgraded by state government as part of the deal.

Season is still 22 rounds with 19 games against the other teams. There are five conferences of 4 teams and you play those in your conference twice to make up the 22 games. Conferences are pretty obvious with s.a & w.a. teams being one, nsw and qld teams being another, our conference would be Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon. The conferences are designed to maximise attendances.

10 games per week increases t.v. deals. Offering the licences so far out allows careful planning and ensures that good facilities and infrastructure are in place for the new clubs and that state governments can ensure afl participation in there areas if they are prepared to play ball.

Potential downsides are that some conferences might be tougher than others but this is minimised by only playing three teams twice as opposed to the current five. The talent pool would be diluted again and we would have compromised drafts again for a couple of years.

However we would have a truly national game with excellent facilities in every major area of Australia and would be the envy of every other sporting code in the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back