Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Happy with 3 for Marchbank and Cuningham, would be nervous giving SOS and Kennedy 3 each.

I think SOS has shown through determination and incremental improvement that giving him a 3 year deal wouldn't be insensible. Particularly as he won't command much money.

Kennedy I'd agree, 2 years.

Any thoughts on Sam Gray from PTA?
Mentioned along with Papley as a small forward of interest + B. Ellis for a running defender with Riley Beveridge off afl.com.au
laser kick for goal........

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Priorities (like right now pls, SOS):

1. Marchbank
2. Cuningham
3. Silvagni
4. Kennedy

3 years for all of them, thanks.
2-3 years for all of them bar Kennedy (depending on agreed average salary). 2 years for Kennedy.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Our team for next season:

B: Plowman----------------Jones----------------Marchbank

H: Docherty--------------Weitering-------------Williamson

C: Dow--------------------Cripps----------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham-----------C.Curnow--------------Fasolo

F: Garlett------------------McKay----------------McGovern

Foll: Kreuzer, Setterfield, Walsh

Bench: Newman, J.Silvagni, Kennedy, SPS

Emerg: Goddard, Simpson, Thomas, Stocker, E.Curnow, Murphy, Deluca, Gibbons, Fisher, Casboult, De Koning, 1st Round Pick (2019)

Bloody hope not. Means we haven't recruited anyone decent. I expect to recruit 2-3 minimum that will step straight in. I can't have Garlett or Fasolo in my best 30 and I reckon Stocker Fisher DeLuca TDK Curnow Gibbons even Casboult will certainly be. Wouldn't rule out names like Owies Schumacher Macreadie or Cottrell either after another pre season.

It's about having a Top 30-35 now

Last edited:

Les Bleus

Debutant
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I dont understand why we need to go hard for a number 1 ruck for next year when we have kreuzer who can play that role for at least 2 years and tdk who most seem to think can take the role over either next year or the following.

This would suggest that we are looking for a number 2 ruck at not too much currency who can hold the fort and maybe push himself up to being a number one ruck.

If we are really bullish on tdk we hang onto phillips instead de-list lobbe and maybe draft a late pick or rookie youngster.

My view too

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Casboult to accept an UFA offer with the compensation used to secure Cameron from Sydney.

Papley traded in for Adelaide pick.

S.Hill as a FA.

B.Ellis as a FA.

Our 2020 1st rounder on the table for another suitable/desirable ready to go player.

Kreuzer, Cameron, TDK = ruck sorted.

Papley = gun small forward sorted.

Hill & Ellis = experienced running power sorted.

2020 traded 1st = targeted quality sorted.

All additions are points of need with 2 x 3rd rounders remaining to top up required young talent at the draft.

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Casboult to accept an UFA offer with the compensation used to secure Cameron from Sydney.

Papley traded in for Adelaide pick.

S.Hill as a FA.

B.Ellis as a FA.

Our 2020 1st rounder on the table for another suitable/desirable ready to go player.

Kreuzer, Cameron, TDK = ruck sorted.

Papley = gun small forward sorted.

Hill & Ellis = experienced running power sorted.

2020 traded 1st = targeted quality sorted.

All additions are points of need with 2 x 3rd rounders remaining to top up required young talent at the draft.
Wouldn’t go for S.Hill as too injury prone and would be looking for too much money for the risk.

Would go for B.Hill if available.

Don’t think we would need much for Cameron so could keep Casboult. He grew up a Blues fan and would want to be a one club player and although currency would be higher due to his form and versatility for a club that needs it who is in premiership window, just don’t think he will leave.

If we gave up Adelaide’s first rounder for Papley we should be getting their (Sydney’s) second rounder back.

Agree that Ellis would be a good pick up.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Wouldn’t go for S.Hill as too injury prone and would be looking for too much money for the risk.

Would go for B.Hill if available.

Don’t think we would need much for Cameron so could keep Casboult. He grew up a Blues fan and would want to be a one club player and although currency would be higher due to his form and versatility for a club that needs it who is in premiership window, just don’t think he will leave.

If we gave up Adelaide’s first rounder for Papley we should be getting their (Sydney’s) second rounder back.

Agree that Ellis would be a good pick up.

We could get Darcy Cameron for virtually nothing.

I reckon we will use first round pick for Martin and get something back. If we somehow got Papley next years first would probably be used.

FA's in Ellis Lester would be very handy.

If we got in Cameron Martin Papley Ellis S.Gray that would make a big difference to our list.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Be nice to land a Reilly O’Brien or Pruess. Darcy Cameron or Max Lynch are worth a chance to step up. There is also some very good State League Ruckman that I would grab late or as a rookie.

Ideally Kruezer plus Cameron & a State Leaguer is probably our best option

IMHO - SOS loves players that can seriously run, even if they are KPP’s.

Don’t think he’ll go for a Preuss type.

He’ll be chasing yet another player who can run the opposition off their feet. I.e. a Grundy type as opposed to a Mumford type.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
We could get Darcy Cameron for virtually nothing.

I reckon we will use first round pick for Martin and get something back. If we somehow got Papley next years first would probably be used.

FA's in Ellis Lester would be very handy.

If we got in Cameron Martin Papley Ellis S.Gray that would make a big difference to our list.
I know very little about Martin, but it seems a first round pick is a high price to pay. Can you shed some light on why he is rated so highly? Stats/awards are not that outstanding, so I am guessing there’s a fair bit more to him?

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Bloody hope not. Means we haven't recruited anyone decent. I expect to recruit 2-3 minimum that will step straight in. I can't have Garlett or Fasolo in my best 30 and I reckon Stocker Fisher DeLuca TDK Curnow Gibbons even Casboult will certainly be. Wouldn't rule out names like Owies Schumacher Macreadie or Cottrell either after another pre season.

It's about having a Top 30-35 now

Mate, with respect, how? With what? We won't be having any top 10 draft picks this year and have we not traded away our second round pick? As for trading, who will we trade that will bring us players of that caliber - that will step right in? I don't think we have any Gibbses, Tuohys or Hendersons left (players with currency that we'd be happy to trade for the right price). We would have to trade like-for-like, so we would be no better off.

I think it's all down to developing the players we've got, for now.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Mate, with respect, how? With what? We won't be having any top 10 draft picks this year and have we not traded away our second round pick? As for trading, who will we trade that will bring us players of that caliber - that will step right in? I don't think we have any Gibbses, Tuohys or Hendersons left (players with currency that we'd be happy to trade for the right price). We would have to trade like-for-like, so we would be no better off.

I think it's all down to developing the players we've got, for now.

Picks, Future Picks & FA. There is a lot to work with and I don't think we will trade anyone. SOS is also Master of getting value and some late picks. I reckon we will be specific in our targeting as well

Examples:

Martin for Pick 12 with something back
Papley for future first with something back
Ellis as a FA
Cunningham or Lester as a FA
A Sam Gray would be fairly cheap
Darcy Cameron (although not best 22 yet) would be cheap
Can we also land another Newman type to help out?

The key then is landing 1-2 underrated State Leaguers that step straight in

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I know very little about Martin, but it seems a first round pick is a high price to pay. Can you shed some light on why he is rated so highly? Stats/awards are not that outstanding, so I am guessing there’s a fair bit more to him?

I don't see him as an absolute gun but IMO he is exactly what we need. I also believe his development has been slow by being in the GCS system for so long. Just starting to mature now. Has some leg speed, tough, a good tackler and a finisher. Would be perfect around HF with time on ball and at 25 years old in 2020 with close to 100 games brings a lot we need. With what we have I reckon he would be a positive addition.

Pick 12 probably a bit high but I would want a pick back or even a deal that somehow included Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back