Rumour Hugh Greenwood waiting to re-sign!

I actually think he is worth more to us than pick 24 but we might be able to get that from Hawthorn.

We are then left with a young player who could or could not make it when we can take the same risk with a pick in the 40’s. Compared to us knowing this guy is best 22
The issue for me is we need to make room to bring in younger dynamic midfielders, so one of Greenwood or CEY probably needs to go. I would prefer Hugh given his ability forward, but given CEY if a free agent, we are likely to get better value for Greenwood.

We must replenish our best 22 with our young draftees & that means making room for them when needed by moving players on

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Last year, and that haul is a decent start for a rebuild. Especially as you might be able to move two of those picks for Essendons pick, which is now GWS (seeing they will be locked into getting Green).
He actually might be worth a cheeky bid .. looks like a cracker as well

Yep test them out, particularly if we end up with pick 3 or lower.

Alternatively, us having pick 3 may spook GWS into being more willing to accept a downgrade trade from us for pick 9. They evidently are quite concerned about Hamish and his love for a bid.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't like bi-polar players who go from being a gun one second, to a total spud the next.

As for the off-field stuff. I'm not getting into that here.

Bit s**t to post about off-field things mate, and then not clarify them.

Their 2nd rounder if around their current pick #24 is about fair for Greenwood.

Would then potentially give us #2, #20, #24 & #29 to take into the draft.

I'd take #24 for him.

As you say, give us a nice bundle of picks, which we could potentially turn into something better (any decent academy kids we can mess around on points with and get a higher pick).

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Alternatively, us having pick 3 may spook GWS into being more willing to accept a downgrade trade from us for pick 9. They evidently are quite concerned about Hamish and his love for a bid.
Maybe not this year ... reckon GWS will have to worry about whoever holds pick #3, #4, #5, ... making a bid on Green. I think they'll just have to proceed assuming someone will bid on Green early on.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I actually think he is worth more to us than pick 24 but we might be able to get that from Hawthorn.

We are then left with a young player who could or could not make it when we can take the same risk with a pick in the 40’s. Compared to us knowing this guy is best 22
His form has been so patchy though. I mean we did get a second rounder for Vince but he was a more consistent player than Greenwood. I could easily see other teams offering us a crappy Lyons style deal where we get a couple of really s**t picks.

I'm guessing Moogs is probably referring to Hugh's religious beliefs.
I believe in religious freedoms too you know. I just hate when people are dicks about it (see Folau). I don't put Hugh in that category though. I didn't know he was really outspoken about it. I remember reading something about his faith a while back and I know he makes a gesture towards the sky after kicking a goal. I mean that sort of thing weirds me out a bit I guess.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rightly so. If the players don't GAF why should supporters?

As a club without member voting rights, embarrassing the club by leaving early en masse is also the only way to have a voice.

The only thing that will force change is dwindling crowds and memberships, it’s the only power we have as supporters/members.

Multiple years out of the 8 also tends to trigger the board, unfortunately we basically fall into the 8 this year which will buy the current regime another couple of years from that perspective.

Maybe not this year ... reckon GWS will have to worry about whoever holds pick #3, #4, #5, ... making a bid on Green. I think they'll just have to proceed assuming someone will bid on Green early on.

I assume they will, which is why I could picture a downgrade being in their best interest.

Swap pick 10 (worth 1395 points), for say 20 + 27 (1563) and a condition to not bid on Green saving another 200 points. It is the difference between them having a second round pick or not for the same scenario.

Right now, for a bid at pick 3, GWS lose 2 first rounders. Seeing pick 3 is 2234 points to make with pick 10 being 1395 and 14 being 1161, which would give them a grand total of 2556 points. Giving them a left over of 332 or in actual reality, pick 9 disappearing from existence, and pick 14 being downgraded to pick 47. Leaving a total haul for GWS of Green + 47 + 50 (being their next pick)

Take my plan into account, at worse case, pick 4 you now have 2034 points to make up. Pick 14 is still 1161 points, however now you have pick 20 being 912 giving you a total of 2073 points. They'd still lose pick 14 and pick 20 gets downgraded to 67. Making their haul Green + 27 + 50. A much better hand for GWS.

Whilst I would still be interested in trying to get that trade if we get pick 2 (or 1 if GCS can get out of their slump), it's a door pick 3 opens up widely. After all, we have history of loving GWS academy prospects, so any threat of a bid would be taken pretty seriously.

Last edited:
His form has been so patchy though. I mean we did get a second rounder for Vince but he was a more consistent player than Greenwood. I could easily see other teams offering us a crappy Lyons style deal where we get a couple of really s**t picks.

Nah. Different scenario to the two players. Greenwood has been a near permanent best 22 player for a few years so it's more Vince then Lyons.

Lyons was a different kettle of fish all together. He was someone we never even remotely considered as a mid term best 22 who unfortunately for us got entrenched into our best 22 due to injuries a contract season. It was firmly a salary cap dump to get rid of someone we had only ever saw as depth (and you can't tell me you think Lyons holds out Knight, or Milera come 2017 for a spot on our half forward line). If you had said CEY, and not Greenwood however, I'd be inclined to agree with you with that being what we'd end up with.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
I assume they will, which is why I could picture a downgrade being in their best interest.

Swap pick 9 (worth 1469 points), for say 20 + 27 (1563) and a condition to not bid on Green saving another 200 points. Could be the difference between a second round pick or not, or giving some collateral to stock up for next year in live trades.

It’s an interesting one, especially given where our picks may sit.

Green will go high, GWS currently hold 10, 14 and 50. If Green gets nominated at pick 3, they lose pick 10 and pick 14 drops to 25. If we have pick 2 and threaten to pick Green then, that pick 14 drops into the early 30’s.

Instead if they were to trade pick 10, 14 and their 2020 1st to us for pick 2, 20 and 29 + possibly some even ups, suddenly they get to pick either Rowell or Anderson and then picks 20, 29 and 50 will cover any bid from 3 down. They end up with say Anderson and Green, effectively giving up picks 10, 14 and their 2020 1st, we’d probably net some decent steak knives too(they might even throw in Hately or Bonar given they’re pretty stocked in that position).

Gives us 3 first rounders + decent steak knives and only giving up pick 2 and 2x picks in the 20’s. Obviously depends a lot on how we rate the draft, especially the top 2 picks in comparison to what’s available later in the first round.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
... Swap pick 10 (worth 1395 points), for say 20 + 27 (1563) and a condition to not bid on Green saving another 200 points. It is the difference between them having a second round pick or not for the same scenario.
This is the bit I was really referring to ... even if we agree to not bid, I reckon other clubs holding early picks will make a bid.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
FFS everybody disappeared. So did the fair-weather supporters.

Droves of people leaving early is one of the ways we have to force change at the club. They’re all about optics over the ruthless pursuit of success. And nothing looks worse than the stands being full of people with their back turned away from the players and making their way out of the stadium. I encourage more people to do this earlier and more often.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wouldn't say happy. Just being pragmatic about it.

This side is done, and desperately needs a restructure/rebuild before we get stuck at the bottom of the table for years. Greenwood is one of those players you don't keep when rebuilding seeing he is icing, the player you fit into the bottom of the lineup who can do damage but lacks value in these situations. A potentially necessary sacrifice to get the ball rolling.

What will be annoying is trading Hugh but then giving extensions to Dougie and Mackay.

I believe in religious freedoms too you know. I just hate when people are dicks about it (see Folau). I don't put Hugh in that category though. I didn't know he was really outspoken about it. I remember reading something about his faith a while back and I know he makes a gesture towards the sky after kicking a goal. I mean that sort of thing weirds me out a bit I guess.
Isn’t that to his mum?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Green will go high, GWS currently hold 10, 14 and 50. If Green gets nominated at pick 3, they lose pick 10 and pick 14 drops to 25. If we have pick 2 and threaten to pick Green then, that pick 14 drops into the early 30’s.

Instead if they were to trade pick 10, 14 and their 2020 1st to us for pick 2, 20 and 29 + possibly some even ups, suddenly they get to pick either Rowell or Anderson and then picks 20, 29 and 50 will cover any bid from 3 down. They end up with say Anderson and Green, effectively giving up picks 10, 14 and their 2020 1st, we’d probably net some decent steak knives too(they might even throw in Hately or Bonar given they’re pretty stocked in that position).

Gives us 3 first rounders + decent steak knives and only giving up pick 2 and 2x picks in the 20’s. Obviously depends a lot on how we rate the draft, especially the top 2 picks in comparison to what’s available later in the first round.
I'm taking the current picks over those sorry.

2+20 over 10+14 everyday, regardless of the draft!

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Isn't there a rule that if you have a 1st rd pick when a bid comes in the 1st rd, you need to use it?

In that case, GWS may look to trade 10,14 for our 2019/1, 20, 29, and then we can see if they want to trade back up after green is matched.

I think we tell them we WILL bid on him, so they will need the points and force their hand.

Then look at Greenwood + 14 for saints 1st

Back