Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott had a noticeably better list though. He should have a much better record than that over Ratts
True, he also achieved higher ladder position though.
So depending on how much you rate each aspect will depend on who you nominate.
Personally, I give greater weighting value to Scott based on a greater sample size of games coached (which I regard as harder to maintain a winning record over - others will disagree) and higher ladder position.
The argument he should have more wins based on a better list assumes both coaches faced the same quality of opposition which I doubt as North were higher on the ladder more regularly than Carlton so would have been given a harder draw year on year.

Out of those 3, it has to be Ratts for me.

I think with his own team he'd be really good. Was decent at Carlton, a few years with premierships under the master Clarko is nothing to sneeze at. You look at who the recent premiership coaches have served under and it's no surprise that they all have a Clarko background.

He's been that far above the other coaches for a while now so it's pretty clear that you've got to implement a fair bit of what Clarko and the Hawks do to be successful in modern footy.

An apprenticeship under Clarko doesn't automatically make a successful coach (see Bolton) but, if you've got the skill-set to be a good coach, it gives you a pretty damn good crack at turning yourself into the best possible version of yourself.

Fagan is looking like his latest success story too just quietly. It's a bloody conveyor belt coming out of the Hawks so we might as well get on it with Ratts.

I think with his own team he'd be really good. Was decent at Carlton, a few years with premierships under the master Clarko is nothing to sneeze at. You look at who the recent premiership coaches have served under and it's no surprise that they all have a Clarko background.

He's been that far above the other coaches for a while now so it's pretty clear that you've got to implement a fair bit of what Clarko and the Hawks do to be successful in modern footy.

An apprenticeship under Clarko doesn't automatically make a successful coach (see Bolton) but, if you've got the skill-set to be a good coach, it gives you a pretty damn good crack at turning yourself into the best possible version of yourself.

Fagan is looking like his latest success story too just quietly. It's a bloody conveyor belt coming out of the Hawks so we might as well get on it with Ratts.

I also think having him at the club means we don't lose time with sorting the list. Someone else will have to get into the club before they can sift the list. It means another wasted year.

I also think having him at the club means we don't lose time with sorting the list. Someone else will have to get into the club before they can sift the list. It means another wasted year.
That's a good point.

It almost cancels out the time we wasted in having to keep Richo on because we couldn't afford to pay him out.

John Barker (Carlton)

Narrowly failed to win the Gold Coast position that went to Stuart Dew, was second to Chris Fagan at Brisbane, and was also on Carlton's and Adelaide's shortlist for jobs that went to Brendon Bolton and Don Pyke, respectively.

Some consider him their top choice, given his experience and how close he has come before. The knock on Barker is he hasn't been in a successful environment for a long time, but one source rated his "collaborative style" and how he was "humble enough to know he's not right on all occasions".

Bolton is a joke from what I've been told.

Only reason he got the gig was because he leveraged off the reason she you stated above.

If Ratts gets the job, don't expect Bolts to be his assistant.

Agree with all your reasoning BTW.

That's a good point.

It almost cancels out the time we wasted in having to keep Richo on because we couldn't afford to pay him out.

Would be pretty handy at the draft/trade as well I guess, having someone who knows the holes to fill as well.

True, he also achieved higher ladder position though.
So depending on how much you rate each aspect will depend on who you nominate.
Personally, I give greater weighting value to Scott based on a greater sample size of games coached (which I regard as harder to maintain a winning record over - others will disagree) and higher ladder position.
The argument he should have more wins based on a better list assumes both coaches faced the same quality of opposition which I doubt as North were higher on the ladder more regularly than Carlton so would have been given a harder draw year on year.
North were also facing overall less competitive competition for most of scott's time there though considering all the compromised drafts, and hence compromised teams like us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North were also facing overall less competitive competition for most of scott's time there though considering all the compromised drafts, and hence compromised teams like us.
Possibly mate, without looking up each clubs opposition by year I’ll concede that point to you.
I really like Ratts and wouldn’t be disappointed at all if he gets it - but I’m preparing myself for Scott.

It’s been like that for a longtime but some places have changed. The more progressive organisations will run a more independent process whereby a panel will consist of one person working within the relevant area, another person from another area within the organisation & the third person external from the organisation & from a separate profession.

There is still the risk of the person within the relevant area contaminating the process by attempting to manipulate the panels decision making however the risk is mitigated by having three people that have not had much/anything to do with each other prior to the process.

If we run a three person panel & Scott is a candidate then it becomes impossible for Lethlean to be part of the panel & he would excuse himself because you run the risk of candidates not applying because they see the conflict of interest so don’t even bother.

Andrew Bassett with his corporate background & not to mention he owns a recruitment agency becomes one panel member. Call him the internal member from his area. The second member would be someone from within the industry so perhaps Leigh Matthews or Paul Roos or someone like that. The third person would be someone completely independent from the industry, it could be a psychologist (although that could be a fourth member to provide oversight from a psych POV) or a CEO/executive member of another organisation govt/private doesn’t matter.

If we run it properly with a good mix of panel members we should go alright. Picking the panel members is the key because you obviously wouldn’t want Lethlean, Hanners old man & some staffy that he’s running on the side to make up the panel.
The great thing about having Basset at the club is his background re stkilda .
He’s a passionate supporter from the Moorabbin days who used to barrack in the animal enclosure.
He’d have a good handle on where the club is sitting at the moment relative to its history.
Yeh the coach is responsible for wins and losses but the actual club is so low at the moment it not only needs wins but a spark for the players , the supporters , sponsors - just the club as a whole .
The Saints were actually the glamour club through the early 2000s
Big players, attractive high scoring footy , characters, and big crowds actually enjoying the footy .
Then we had Ross Lyon who almost did it for us but going to the games was torture.
Now is not the time for a dour defensive coach . If it’s 50/50 between 2 coaches at the moment- a defensive coach and an open high scoring coach I think Basset will recognise not only what the players need , but what the whole club is screaming out for at the moment.

I like Ratts.

Doesn’t hurt at all that he has already been there for a season, just quietly.
A smooth transition with very few ripples is just what we need.
I’d put Lade or Playfair in as caretaker coach though so Ratts can really concentrate on next year and he starts fresh then.

I’d bet that the powers that be had something like this in mind in the event theyear turned out like it has.

A very very good point there gringo.

Mr Ratten for me for all the reasons "theprospect" listed......along with gringo's above.

The great thing about having Basset at the club is his background re stkilda .
He’s a passionate supporter from the Moorabbin days who used to barrack in the animal enclosure.
He’d have a good handle on where the club is sitting at the moment relative to its history.
Yeh the coach is responsible for wins and losses but the actual club is so low at the moment it not only needs wins but a spark for the players , the supporters , sponsors - just the club as a whole .
The Saints were actually the glamour club through the early 2000s
Big players, attractive high scoring footy , characters, and big crowds actually enjoying the footy .
Then we had Ross Lyon who almost did it for us but going to the games was torture.
Now is not the time for a dour defensive coach . If it’s 50/50 between 2 coaches at the moment- a defensive coach and an open high scoring coach I think Basset will recognise not only what the players need , but what the whole club is screaming out for at the moment.

Average winning margin in 2009 was about 6 goals.

I'll give you 2007 and some of 2008 but torture?

I also don't think it will come down to defensive or attacking coaches.

The old saying that you drive for show but putt for dough.

Basset will want a coach with a game plan that stands up in finals.

Sad reality is we don't have the calibre of players we did back then and the game had moved on in tactics.

I like Ratts.

Doesn’t hurt at all that he has already been there for a season, just quietly.
A smooth transition with very few ripples is just what we need.
I’d put Lade or Playfair in as caretaker coach though so Ratts can really concentrate on next year and he starts fresh then.

I’d bet that the powers that be had something like this in mind in the event theyear turned out like it has.
I'd be betting the house if I were you...

Sad reality is we don't have the calibre of players we did back then and the game had moved on in tactics.
I was at the Pelican Cafe in Tooradin today and they have a heap of saints stuff plastered all over the walls. Was looking at some of the names on the 2007 team photo and just shook my head.
Talk about talent.

1zbudc.jpg

Of the 3 options I would choose Ratten.

But I hope we get an expert and independent panel to make a decision. Cast the net wide.

Riewoldt should be part of it, along with a couple of highly regarded footy people not connected with the club. Maybe Lethlean could be the fourth person.

I’d hope we also talk to Matthew Nicks and Blake Caracella. And even David Noble the Brisbane footy manager. Smart operator.

Not sure why I have that perception that we used to grind every game out with Ross Lyon when it wasn’t the case . Maybe it’s finals games that stick with me
My point is I’d rather a coach that promotes playing with a bit of flair and dropping a couple more games rather than grinding out wins with boring footy. It’s a fine line I know .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back