Game Day Reigning Premiers v The Brides Maids - beware the wounded Magpie

Remove this Banner Ad

Whelp. Silver lining: pressure is off about us being premiership favourites. We can go back to flying under the radar.

Did we get the 90 marks and lose? I think so. Seemed to be a breakdown across half forward without Cripps that cost us that game.

Underrated player.

I hope I am wrong but we will lose tonight as a structured loss AND I"M GOING TO BET ON IT FOR INSURANCE REASONS
(Feel Free to Roast Me) Read below if you want to find my reasons.

I hate to be saying this but Collingwood have more to lose than we do and Simpson doesn't like being the favourite of the comp both in the past and in the present when we bombed in 2015 and won in 2018.

Terry Wallace even thinks we are the favs.
TLDR: Wallace has named Westcoast vs Richmond for the GF Quinella with Westcoast the Premiers

We are now widely being talked about as the media's Flag Fav's in Victoria after last weeks game. The betting circles took us from $6.5 last week for the premiership to $3.7 during the week now $4.

To put that into context, last year I put a bet on WC to win the flag after Richmond's shock loss to Collingwood in the prelims.
That bet was a huge punt with a stake of $620 @$4.5 and WC had already made it to the Prelims. They just needed to get thru Melb (in Perth) and Collingwood (MCG) at the time. The punt came off which put almost $2800 back into the account and paid for flights to London, Berlin and Prague which I booked and left within 5 days of the win.

We are now a shorter odds to win the Flag than we were < a week before the Grand Final last year. From a punting perspective that is an outrageous proposition.

So I'm going to say that we will lose against Collingwood and keep our powder dry for the finals. It won't be a transparent loss (or Simpson will cop it) but it will be something like a close 3 quarters and the fourth will be where we come undone with the players losing control due to tiredness and possibly overtraining or playing out of position.

Has anyone seen any videos from training this week? Is it suspicious that our two outs are from training injuries and we have no video of training on Snapchat or twitter which could mean anything but I suspect a brutal training sess or two.

We know Mick Malthouse used to overtrain the players to force a controlled loss and he coached us to two GF wins.

I hope I am wrong but with betting at over $3 (3.4-3.75) for Collingwood to win I'm putting an insurance bet on the Pies to pay for my 10 pints of beer I will need to cry myself to sleep after losing to Collingwood. If WC win my $30 punt to the bookmakers will be a word of warning to me overthinking a game we should win.
I called it this afternoon and I bet $40 instead and turned it into $138 I knew we would lose it

Some real meltdowns here

Probably need to step back and take a breath

Disappointed, sure. But no need to lay into the lads.

We’ll bounce back

Outhunted in the last qtr and a half at centre stoppages. They all sat on all our midfielders, didn't give them an inch of space, then countered and went on the offense.

Well played By the wobbles

Ah well. Pies deserved it, they played very good tough footy tonight. Grundy absolutely monstered that last quarter, made Hickey look like a wet paper bag & broke even with NN, which their mids took advantage of.

Looks like WCE ran out of gas at the end, they could not generate any run. Oh well, hope the coming 8 day break helps us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't deserve to win that, they f****** around in the last 8 minutes of the third in our forward line and played cute / selfish football and missed six opportunities to score, thats was when we should have iced the game.

Stopped running in the last and played defensive football.
When you go 42 minutes with out scoring you don't deserve to win.

Collingwood had more players prepared to put their head over the ball in the second half that and us not taking our opportunities in the last 8 minutes of the third, thats why we lost.

Last qtr same as the third qtr against the hawks, they locked it in and we couldn't get it out

s**t happens, what's done it done. They got it too easy against Freo last week and didn't wanna crack when it was up for grabs.

Losing Cripps seems to be a bigger factor than we think

Honestly sometimes coming off a thrashing is dangerous. I said earlier we can't be overly arrogant. Hickey playing on sums it up, needed to dominate on the scoreboard early.

Good to see other posters share the same anger as me. Should've ****ed them off during the third quarter. Useless *s. I was gonna give Masten votes too but his kick in the last means * all for him. Kennedy as well, wtf was that tonight? Rest him up next week, no need to travel to the NT. McGovern was well and truly below par tonight. So, so far below. Cole was about as useful as Duggan's a-hole. Our midfield decided bruise free was the best bet after getting 3 goals up. Sheed was the worst for this. Ruined his game with that pathetic effort too. I haven't melted so hard over a game of footy in so, so long. Maybe it's the alcohol. Maybe it's because I feel like we blew everything tonight. Maybe it's because we're full ******* strength and we're still s**t. I remember why I try to distance my emotions from games sometimes because s**t like this will ruin my ******* night now

Think there’s a lot of overreaction going on.. Wasn’t anything to do with effort, our guys were physically gassed in the last quarter and a half. Wet weather and a couple of big weeks have caught up to us. Would have been nice to get away with this but wasn’t to be..

Enough with the excuses.

Wet weather, had no Cripps... who cares? They lost their best defender Moore early too, which left Darling on spuddy Maynard.

We didn't want it after 3QT and that's it.

McGovern, Barrass, Kennedy and to a lesser extent Hickey didn't do us any favours. They were all beaten soundly by their direct opponent.

Loose 4 key tall matchup and you'll find it tough to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back