2019 NBA Offseason Thread - Free Agency starts 6 p.m. ET on June 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Now if the Knicks backed out of this deal, it would be peak free agency.

Westbrook + Harden...now there's a bomb just aching to go off.

Hope Capela is ready to box out his man and the opposing point guard.

Rockets players outside of Harden and Westbrook are going to go long stretches without touching the ball and offence and then get lambasted when their shots don’t fall.

OKC clearly playing the long game. Hope it works out.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Now if the Knicks backed out of this deal, it would be peak free agency.

Hope Capela is ready to box out his man and the opposing point guard.

Rockets players outside of Harden and Westbrook are going to go long stretches without touching the ball and offence and then get lambasted when their shots don’t fall.

OKC clearly playing the long game. Hope it works out.

And Westbrook.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
OKC have traded all their players for draft picks. This sounds familiar...

Time for the circle to become complete - Sonics are coming back baby.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Rockets appear desperate to be making this move as they've done nothing in FA beyond Harden and Paul beefing, and floating quality players on the market like Capela. Westbrook is a horrible fit, and is going to be 35 and making over 40 million in the last year of his deal. Has never been anything of a team player (which at least fits Houston) and has consistently taken bad shots, or made bone headed plays down the stretch in big games. His shot has gotten worse and worse to a point he's a liability and his athletic ability can only go south from here. KD and later PG realised it just doesn't work with Russ. Not when he's trying to fulfil his triple double average agenda. The fact he bailed on his team he's been with for like 10 years in the matter of a week because he didn't have any superstars to play with says it all.

The fact he bailed on his team he's been with for like 10 years in the matter of a week because he didn't have any superstars to play with says it all.

I can't stand the guy but this is a rubbish statement. In an era where there is no loyalty he has if not much else been incredibly loyal to that franchise. Also every statement I have heard was that as soon as George went the Thunder wanted to rebuild and were happy to try and get Russ wherever he wanted, it was in both their best interests he left. Pot the guy for the way he plays sure but very few have been as loyal, especially to a small market team as he has been.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fair enuf...there are more disloyal, but not too many bigger Divas. He played in a small market, but had KD leading them to title contention (which were happy days and something no player would walk out on given his role on the team) and then he got his demands met for another superstar after one year toiling on his own, who soon realised that having real success with Russ as your lead G is basically not possible. Also, you talk about loyalty...the team has been fine with him fulfilling his own personal agendas with his stat padding, and made him one of the best paid players of this era, so I don't thing he deserves the label of "incredibly loyal".

SloaneysDanger

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 26, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Liverpool, Cavaliers
Fair enuf...there are more disloyal, but not too many bigger Divas. He played in a small market, but had KD leading them to title contention (which were happy days and something no player would walk out on given his role on the team) and then he got his demands met for another superstar after one year toiling on his own, who soon realised that having real success with Russ as your lead G is basically not possible. Also, you talk about loyalty...the team has been fine with him fulfilling his own personal agendas with his stat padding, and made him one of the best paid players of this era, so I don't thing he deserves the label of "incredibly loyal".
There is no loyalty left in the NBA. Russ never wanted to leave OKC but the writing was on the wall after George left that OKC weren't a contender anymore. Russ is like every other player and wants to win a 'chip. I don't blame him for leaving.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
so who are the best free agents left?

Not many left. Not many with cap room either.

The Thunder could conceivably have three guys they want to move on still in CP3, Adams & Gallo, of varying degrees in value... problem is that there's a few 'win now' teams with a large deficit of draft picks for use as trade capital now though (Rockets, Heat, Lakers, Dubs, Clippers, Bucks, Mavs).

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not many left. Not many with cap room either.

The Thunder could conceivably have three guys they want to move on still in CP3, Adams & Gallo, of varying degrees in value... problem is that there's a few 'win now' teams with a large deficit of draft picks for use as trade capital now though (Rockets, Heat, Lakers, Dubs, Clippers, Bucks, Mavs).
Nwaba was the correct answer.

Adams could have been a good fit in Portland before they blew their load on Whiteside.. but I guess they still have Nurkic if he comes back the same player
Gallo makes a lot of sense for a team like the Bucks and Jazz... but hard seeing a trade being done there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Nwaba was the correct answer.

I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere.

Adams could have been a good fit in Portland before they blew their load on Whiteside.. but I guess they still have Nurkic if he comes back the same player
Gallo makes a lot of sense for a team like the Bucks and Jazz... but hard seeing a trade being done there.

Gallo makes sense for like 18 teams. The dude averaged 20 per game on 63% TS.

Miami probably makes the most sense for that kind of trade, but they're already two 1st round picks in the hole and don't own a second rounder until 2027.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere.

Gallo makes sense for like 18 teams. The dude averaged 20 per game on 63% TS.

Miami probably makes the most sense for that kind of trade, but they're already two 1st round picks in the hole and don't own a second rounder until 2027.
Do you mean Gallo makes the most sense for Miami? I agree... Riley will probably rather chase CP3 though as the bigger name
Philly should have traded for Gallo last year instead of Harris

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Do you mean Gallo makes the most sense for Miami? I agree... Riley will probably rather chase CP3 though as the bigger name

Yeah they have the kind of contracts (Olynyk, Waiters) to make a trade work, and the kind of market to make it feasible to keep Gallo afterwards.

I don't think OKC would mind waiting out the Olynyk etc contracts until 2021, but they'd probably want a first in return.. which would mean a 2025 first in their case. Which would mean they'd owe three future firsts for three guys in their 30s (Dragic, Butler, Gallo). So they'd want to be really, really high on Winslow, Adebayo & Herro, because they'd be running the gauntlet. They already are pretty much.

Philly should have traded for Gallo last year instead of Harris

Yeah I'm still amazed Tobias got $180 million. Philly are loaded, but between he, Horford and Simmons' extensions they're really betting on themselves.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
I don’t mind the trade for all involved except CP3.

Houston wouldn’t be my pick for the title but think they are a better chance for the next few years with Westbrook over Paul. Apart from a really good game 6 against Golden State, Paul had a pretty average playoff series and is only getting older. Might not be able to play more than 65 games a season anymore which makes it difficult to be a top seed. Is the fit going to be great? Probably not. But Westbrook will be a good second banana so Harden doesn’t literally have to dominate every possession on offence (although I don’t think he minds that). The other players on that roster couldn’t care about stats, PJ Tucker just wants to play D, Capela just wants a few dunks here and there, the others are happy to sit outside the arc and shoot threes, Harden and Westbrook still had plenty of opportunities to stat pad.

OKC have an absurd amount of assets now. Not sure they would’ve been expecting to get much from an almost 31 year old with $170m to make over four years. Think they’ll be happy to move Chris Paul to Miami for some earlier expiring contracts.

Not good for Chris Paul. His chances of winning a title was probably slim as it was at Houston. Don’t think it’s any chance anywhere else. Going to have to find a new number and nickname if he ends up in Miami.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

He's known as being a great team mate. Divas do not tend to earn that reputation.

He's also got a reputation for being an incredibly hard worker.

The picture you're painting of him isn't one that seems too recognisable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back