Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just say that for someone whose contract ends in a few games and with little hope of an extension that his demeanour and commentary is outstanding. Richo for all his negative approaches to the game really does seem to care about the club and his players. Very positive attitude toward both.

Would we consider booting him upstairs, director of coaching with Ratts or Scott as senior coach.

Agreed, but the incoming coach deserves a fresh start from the old bloke. Good bloke like Richo would have his allies and we need to be united

I'm sorry Armo, I'm afraid I can't do that. (pick you again)

2qvaa88.jpg

I don’t hate Richo. I don’t dislike Richo. He seems like a decent bloke who has had one of the most difficult jobs in the AFL over the last 6 years.

But it seems like this year will be his last and I’m comfortable with that.

I’ve heard stories about Richo dismissing certain players (Goddard and White come to mind) and I don’t know if they’re true or not. Then again these stories surround most coaches.

I wish him all the best with whatever he does. But I do think the Saints will benefit from some new blood at the top.

And although I may appear to be a main culprit with some of my memes, there is really no malice behind them. I don’t post them anywhere apart from our little forum here as I don’t wish to partake in any public ridiculing of our coach.

They are done not so much to belittle Richo but rather to release a little pressure on my 47 year member/no premiership brain.

Apologies if they offend anyone.

Zero offense good Dr.
Offense after all, is a personal choice 👍

Last edited:

And now we move on after one wasted year. A year destroyed by injury and if the same thing was to have happened to a new coach probably a good thing richo was still coaching. Imagine the crap the new coach would cop on here.

Excellent point Plugger. Very kind of Richo to take the hits, and let's hope the incoming coach has better luck with injuries.

had we sacked him do you really think we would be any better off this year ? we still wouldnt have had Steven, Robo and Jake (for long periods) ... at best i had us finishing 9th when i looked at the draw this year and thats factoring a good run with injury.. our issue is not enough top class players i dont see how apointing another coach in mid 2018 really changes that much ... just like i dont see changing a coach this year will see us somehow jump to the top 8 next year ... getting some class players will do that but the same list with a differant coach i dont think will change much ..
Mate you’re kidding if you don’t think a change in coach would change anything. We play the most dumb dour football of any team in the league and just can’t score, nor beat any decent team above us on the ladder, which has been a common theme under Richo’s entire reign.
I don’t subscribe to the “there’s not enough talent on the list” because there is enough for us to be doing better than what we have been. Yes it may not be enough to be a top 4 team, but we have enough to at least be pushing a top 8 spot, and enough to be more competitive than what we have been. We should be better than a team that only beats up on GC and Carlton.

Six years and results have fluctuated between mediocre and abysmal, with the odd brilliant performance. All in all it isn't enough, and, whilst the support has given Richo every chance, minimum standards have not been met.

All of you on this forum have followed St Kilda for far longer than I, and you understand the game much better, but, even as a newcomer from the other side of the world, I can see this is the end for him.

I've never watched Saints as anything other than whipping boys in my time as an Aussie Rules fan, and I'd love to see that change. The red, white and black is a beautiful combination of colours which are dear to me, and I love your game. I'd love to see Saints fans finally enjoy their day in the sun, and, in a perfect world, I'll be there with you. :thumbsu:

Let's make it happen!

Mate you’re kidding if you don’t think a change in coach would change anything. We play the most dumb dour football of any team in the league and just can’t score, nor beat any decent team above us on the ladder, which has been a common theme under Richo’s entire reign.
I don’t subscribe to the “there’s not enough talent on the list” because there is enough for us to be doing better than what we have been. Yes it may not be enough to be a top 4 team, but we have enough to at least be pushing a top 8 spot, and enough to be more competitive than what we have been. We should be better than a team that only beats up on GC and Carlton.
Top 8 with our injuries this year. That is genuine fantasyland stuff. That would mean our list is top 4. Ok let’s play your game. Who are our A grade and elite players this year and whose list are we better than because looking at the lists of all the sides I would suggest our available list this year is a bottom 2 or 3 list.

Top 8 with our injuries this year. That is genuine fantasyland stuff. That would mean our list is top 4. Ok let’s play your game. Who are our A grade and elite players this year and whose list are we better than because looking at the lists of all the sides I would suggest our available list this year is a bottom 2 or 3 list.

Plugger, when is your interview to take over?

Plugger, when is your interview to take over?
They rejected me because I would be a disgraceful coach. No nothing about game plans or managing players. Do know the odds on most things. That’s how I base my thoughts. I’m three hundred million to one. One thing I am good at is maths. If we win the next 6 games that will give 15 wins for the season and put us 4 games clear of second. We can still win the flag. 7% agree and the other 97% don’t.

They rejected me because I would be a disgraceful coach. No nothing about game plans or managing players. Do know the odds on most things. That’s how I base my thoughts. I’m three hundred million to one. One thing I am good at is maths. If we win the next 6 games that will give 15 wins for the season and put us 4 games clear of second. We can still win the flag. 7% agree and the other 97% don’t.

Yes, because 6 + 6 = 15. There's a Radiohead song in there. More chance I will get a root with Holly Valance 😄

Yes, because 6 + 6 = 15. There's a Radiohead song in there. More chance I will get a root with Holly Valance 😄
Talking of holly valance her sister who is also very attractive and an actress goes out with Tom Bellchambers from Essendon. Just a piece of very boring information. Isn’t 6 and 6 15. I’m pretty sure is. As I said I’m good at maths.

I do love the way people think that the sole purpose of the internet is to allow them to be nasty and vindictive to people they've never met from the safety of anonymity. Sad really.

Good thoughtful article on the situation

"More importantly, it's put the Saints and their coach in the twilight zone, as few outside the club expect him to remain as coach, and no one inside the club is prepared – or able, depending on the contract terms – to declare their hand in the way Carlton and North Melbourne did when they moved on Brendon Bolton and Brad Scott.

That is what has made watching Richardson's performance under the fiercest of pressure so intriguing.

His grace in batting away questions about his future without appearing overly defensive, and his ability to remain upbeat with his players and staff in the face of more losses than he'd have liked, has shown why he is a respected person in the industry.

Not once has he complained, despite his players missing for a range of reasons not even Nostradamus could have predicted. His temperament has given the club hope that the bottom will not fall out, despite enough speculation occurring for Richardson to admit he felt the need to do a temperature check with his players, with three poor quarters in which the Saints conceded 23 of the 50 goals they have conceded in the past three matches."

That last stat is very telling - its telling me that given the circumstances we aren't playing that badly.

As much as people think that Richo can't coach - we aren't a basket case and whoever takes over will be thankful that he has been more than good enough to hold the place and the team together .

Last edited:
I do love the way people think that the sole purpose of the internet is to allow them to be nasty and vindictive to people they've never met from the safety of anonymity. Sad really.

Good thoughtful article on the situation

"More importantly, it's put the Saints and their coach in the twilight zone, as few outside the club expect him to remain as coach, and no one inside the club is prepared – or able, depending on the contract terms – to declare their hand in the way Carlton and North Melbourne did when they moved on Brendon Bolton and Brad Scott.

That is what has made watching Richardson's performance under the fiercest of pressure so intriguing.

His grace in batting away questions about his future without appearing overly defensive, and his ability to remain upbeat with his players and staff in the face of more losses than he'd have liked, has shown why he is a respected person in the industry.

Not once has he complained, despite his players missing for a range of reasons not even Nostradamus could have predicted. His temperament has given the club hope that the bottom will not fall out, despite enough speculation occurring for Richardson to admit he felt the need to do a temperature check with his players, with three poor quarters in which the Saints conceded 23 of the 50 goals they have conceded in the past three matches."
For the most part I think people here have criticised only his coaching and the general state of the club. The few that criticise him as a person usually get their posts removed or warned anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the most part I think people here have criticised only his coaching and the general state of the club. The few that criticise him as a person usually get their posts removed or warned anyway.
Well I’ve seen a few and if are getting deleted there must be a lot more. Even the nick names are demeaning. I don’t get it. He is actually a saints person just like Harvey and Lenny were. Until he leaves he is still a saints person.

Well I’ve seen a few and if are getting deleted there must be a lot more. Even the nick names are demeaning. I don’t get it. He is actually a saints person just like Harvey and Lenny were. Until he leaves he is still a saints person.

First & last I’ll make on this subject because it’s not relevant to the topic & I am only making it worse by commenting:
If anyone takes offence to a particular post instead of commenting on the poster report the post as ‘offensive’ or whatever the relevant report option (I’ve never reported so no idea what there is). Getting in a debate with someone on moral grounds only takes the thread further & further away from the thread topic. Stop being moral crusaders (not you just saying) & becoming part of the problem & simply report.

First & last I’ll make on this subject because it’s not relevant to the topic & I am only making it worse by commenting:
If anyone takes offence to a particular post instead of commenting on the poster report the post as ‘offensive’ or whatever the relevant report option (I’ve never reported so no idea what there is). Getting in a debate with someone on moral grounds only takes the thread further & further away from the thread topic. Stop being moral crusaders (not you just saying) & becoming part of the problem & simply report.
No reporting from me. This thread goes everywhere so talking about calling him names is hardly off topic compared to other things on here. Thanks for your advise but I will say what I want within reason. And I’m pretty sure I didn’t comment on the poster but that doesn’t mean I won’t if it’s demeaning or childish.

I must admit that some of the comments towards Richo have strayed beyond his ability and into the personal, in my experience.

I think he must go this year, but he also seems a very genuine guy who has done his best, only to fall short. it shouldn't be personal, in relation to someone who has done his level best for the club.

People do get very precious in here.

The Cho is the worst coach I've ever seen and I can't wait to be rid of him. Never want to see his face or hear him speak again.
He isn’t even worst coach since the last one. Not precious to expect respect. Not one person here would have the guts to say anything like is said here to his face. To many internet hero’s.

Just in case its me - I'm not a moral crusader - I just have morals.

If I reckon a person is a tosser I don't waste my time associating with them in real life - why would I bother to do the same on the internet.

So I don't report - I just use the ignore button - unfortunately, as in real life, the list is quite extensive.

How far back do you go, mate? Let's hear some of the Saints old guard discuss the 1980s.... 😄

Like many on here I'm old enough to remember the 70's and 80's. I've never seen a coach suck the life out of the supporters like he has. Imagine how inspiring it must be for the players...it's little wonder we start the games like we're half asleep.

Like many on here I'm old enough to remember the 70's and 80's. I've never seen a coach suck the life out of the supporters like he has. Imagine how inspiring it must be for the players...it's little wonder we start the games like we're half asleep.

Obviously you go back much, much further than I. I only have the posts of people on here, in relation to how bad the 1980s were. Surely there is more hope now than then?

He isn’t even worst coach since the last one. Not precious to expect respect. Not one person here would have the guts to say anything like is said here to his face. To many internet hero’s.

Nobody I've seen has said anything too abusive. He's got the gig of coaching for a huge salary. He wanted it. It comes with scrutiny. If you turn out to be crap at your job in a public sphere you get heat. He's been diabolical for the club.

Obviously you go back much, much further than I. I only have the posts of people on here, in relation to how bad the 1980s were. Surely there is more hope now than then?

You are right, there's much more hope now than then. I was talking about the coaching, not the list. He's just the complete opposite of inspiring. He's more like that crappy physics teacher on a hot fri afternoon at school. Just droning on, and on...be strong in the contest, good work Dave, great time trial DMAC, blah blah, effort, blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back