Review Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Im sad we lost . Would have been happy for a draw . We played a good team that just beat us for a number of reasons . Next week will be tough as well . We were not fit enough it seemed and its not fair to get angry at players doing there best .
The negatives for me are the supporters who just tear down one minute when 2 minutes ago they support . Well you arent really a supporter are you . You know who you are .

Well I guess you're talking about me among others.
I think you're missing the fact that over the year there has been a pattern.
Our best is by far better than anyone but it only appears in patches. Even against lower teams like the saints etc we got by with comfortable wins. The dockers was a smashing yes but the derby brings out more incentive to win.
Losses over 6 goals like we've had in 4 games is unacceptable and shows the lack of application over 4 quarters.

We all thought that Brisbane game in round 1 was an aberration, it wasn't. To be leading by 5 goals at quarter time and then lose by 7 is a massive drop off.

It's an indicaator of the rest of our season.
It's either fitness, personnel gelling, attitude or complacency. Whatever it is isn't good as we went from being in total control to not being able to score for 45 minutes

It's inexcusable because these patterns only get made worse under the pressure of finals

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
For the chicken littles - some negatioves
We lost Cripps after 10min - our only experienced small to mid forward who is elite at pressure and running. JD presented well while JK is not fit and could not contribute. We relied on kids with 3-20 games with out Cripps leadership. Willi is regaining fitness and Ryan was hobbling after 10 min.
Our backs who are best in the comp hada very bad start but recovered. Not helped by Gov going down injured although he played out the game.
Nic was sore but remaind out best ruckman.
Our mids were beaten by a team effort helped by their backs (see our small forwards)

We were smashed by a point. If maggots wasnt blind and saw Barrass blocked off the ball we probably would have won. If Hutch was playing we would have definitely won Sidebottom was a pest,

I refere to the great words of Forrest Gump. It does happen but as Ash V said the sun will come up.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Our best is by far better than anyone but it only appears in patches. Even against lower teams like the saints etc we got by with comfortable wins. The dockers was a smashing yes but the derby brings out more incentive to win.
Losses over 6 goals like we've had in 4 games is unacceptable and shows the lack of application over 4 quarters.

We all thought that Brisbane game in round 1 was an aberration, it wasn't. To be leading by 5 goals at quarter time and then lose by 7 is a massive drop off.

It's either fitness, personnel gelling, attitude or complacency. Whatever it is isn't good as we went from being in total control to not being able to score for 45 minutes

It's inexcusable because these patterns only get made worse under the pressure of finals
Round 1 We possibly werent fit enough to sustain . Its not hard to work out that Brisbane had more time to repair and prepare . And they are a good side .
We travel a lot its tough . Not everyone on our list is elite and even then they have niggles or injuries .
I guess you iether like to criticisr and be a great critic . Or enjoy supporting . Its an even competition apparently and on any given day any number of things can happen . Its not a fairytale with a happy ending evey game . Thats why we are addicted to the wins when they come . Its hard not to lay blame in this grievous state of loss . Maybe some arent emotionally mature .

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Round 1 We possibly werent fit enough to sustain . Its not hard to work out that Brisbane had more time to repair and prepare . And they are a good side .
We travel a lot its tough . Not everyone on our list is elite and even then they have niggles or injuries .
I guess you iether like to criticisr and be a great critic . Or enjoy supporting . Its an even competition apparently and on any given day any number of things can happen . Its not a fairytale with a happy ending evey game . Thats why we are addicted to the wins when they come . Its hard not to lay blame in this grievous state of loss . Maybe some arent emotionally mature .

Mate people are allowed to vent and express their disgust in losses. Doesn't make them bad supporters or emotionally immature.

People invest a lot of time, energy and money is supporting. I guess being emotionally detached isn't so easy for others as it is for you.

I get losing when we arent good enough or when we have different factors like the scg hoodoo but we should not have lost that game in the way we did at home against an out of form opponent.
That was a punch on the guts

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
For the chicken littles - some negatioves
We lost Cripps after 10min - our only experienced small to mid forward who is elite at pressure and running. JD presented well while JK is not fit and could not contribute. We relied on kids with 3-20 games with out Cripps leadership. Willi is regaining fitness and Ryan was hobbling after 10 min.
Our backs who are best in the comp hada very bad start but recovered. Not helped by Gov going down injured although he played out the game.
Nic was sore but remaind out best ruckman.
Our mids were beaten by a team effort helped by their backs (see our small forwards)

We were smashed by a point. If maggots wasnt blind and saw Barrass blocked off the ball we probably would have won. If Hutch was playing we would have definitely won Sidebottom was a pest,

I refere to the great words of Forrest Gump. It does happen but as Ash V said the sun will come up.
The sky may be falling .
Gov may have a bad injury
Barrass may still have bad feet and still not 100%
Rioli may not be right
Ryan has been limping all season
Jk has something wrong with him
Not to mention those we know who are injured .
We may get more injuries . Winning isnt an entitlement .
Ar least chicken little didnt outright abuse the players for their injuries .

Could lose 5 of the next 6 no one knows

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You have been asked and warned and warned and warned to please contribute in some discussion at some level to this board and have still not done so. Your access to the Eagles board has been removed.

Meh we lost to Melbourne in round 22 last year and everyone thought we were done. We have played two games in the wet over the last few weeks which explains last 1/4 fade out.

Haven’t watched the game yet. Planned to watch it when I got home last night but went down the John Wick path instead

Reading through this thread and some write ups and listening to the post game analysis on ABC - it’s disappointing we lost obviously especially after leading by 16 at 3/4 time but -

Collingwood are a good side that was in poor form and this match was set up for them to respond. They needed the win desperately, recent losses to us would still be stinging, and an away trip out of the claustrophobic Melbourne bubble giving the players a chance to bond

After being beaten the last 4 times, Collingwood steeled themselves for a big effort. Post game Pendlebury talked about how previously we’d got the better of them in the last quarter to win and that their focus at 3/4 time was to not let that happen again. They wanted it more as the stats show

Good sides like Collingwood find a way when challenged, we’ll do the same

Why did I quote your post? Because this game feels a lot like the Melbourne game you mentioned- a side clearly wanting to prove a point against us and despite playing close to their best only just got us when we were off ours

We’re still in the top 4, a game clear and equal 2nd. We have work to do and the Cripps injury isn’t ideal along with Kennedy’s form slump

No need to throw the toys out of the cot yet

wraglesweb

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Strange game when you think about it....

WCE up by 13 points at half time Pies kick 3 goals in the second half and win the game..............

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
The sky may be falling .
Gov may have a bad injury
Barrass may still have bad feet and still not 100%
Rioli may not be right
Ryan has been limping all season
Jk has something wrong with him
Not to mention those we know who are injured .
We may get more injuries . Winning isnt an entitlement .
Ar least chicken little didnt outright abuse the players for their injuries .
If its that bad - we lost by a point

mad_eagle

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2008
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the tactics used against Gov & Barrass to do whatever possible to block and infringe there run at marking contests. You can see Gov is starting to get visibly frustrated with it more and more as the year progresses.

Is it fair game & we just need to adjust or does the club need to seek “clarification” from the umpiring department?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
That one hurt but it was a cracking game of footy. We were going to lose a close one eventually and it just fuels the awesome rivalry we have developed with the pies.

Heard an interview with Simmo today where he said the boys ran out of legs in the 4th. We've had two hard slogs in the wet and a six day break, fair enough that they fatigued.

Top 2 is still in play - let's rebound and smash dees next week.

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
I must me missing something. Was at the game and it was bloody good. High scoring first half, but was finals like.

Collingwood played like a team that knew their season was on the line.

We should have won that but panicked in the last quarter and our midfielf got obliterated in the 4th.

Devo we didnt take an opportunity to get seperatjon on 3rd but hopefully this team learns more from the loss than getting the win.

We were essentially down 2 rotations for most of the game and that's the risk we happily take playing nic.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

You are one of those fans who probably expects 4 perfect quarter footy for every round winning every 22 rounds with a winning margin of minimum 10 goals and win a flag. You are not a fan.. you are just dead set stupid. You might somehow still complain after all of that like the opposition wasn't full strength blah blah bah.We lost by a point. Relax. It was a great game of footy.Pattern?? pattern of what?? No team plays every game in the season perfectly. That goes for every champion in any code really. Soccer, rugby football or basketball. So I suggest, you learn the game a little more or mature up as a fan regardless of how young or old you are. Well done to pies, their season was on the line and they delivered.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Suddenly Barrass and McGovern's high pants joke last week doesn't seem so funny.

Considering they were both comprehensively beaten by an american spud who borderline shouldn't have even been in their side, and a role player.

Throw in Kennedy getting completely shut down by bargain basement Jordan Roughhead of all people, and it makes you scratch your head.

Barass vs Cox ❌
McGovern vs Mihocek ❌
Kennedy vs Roughead ❌

🤷‍♂️

Someone should photoshop the high pants image with their pants pulled down by the Pies.

And send it to them.:huh:

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
- Kennedy is a liability. Has been on several occasions this year. 5 touches, 5 clangers, no score
- Defense was shocking all game. Barrass and McGovern must have been out on the sauce before bouncedown or something because they were in dissaray and got their ass handed to them by lesser opponents.

- Midfielders died completely in the last quarter, like the rest of the team. Can't score if we can't move the ball properly and get it inside 50.

- Ryan needs a rest or something. Looks like he was limping all game. Few occasions where he couldn't chase or put on pressure.

- Cripps injury is very unfortunate. Couple of B22 players out hurts.

- Naitanui's game time was bulls**t. None of the spark he had in the first quarter was evident in the 2nd half. We needed him, we needed him and they let him come on for 2 minutes after a break and then pull him back off again. Also his refusal to jump for any marks is detrimental to the team.

- Overall another poor game from Rioli IMO. Opposite to Nelson, he's played 3 bad games in a row now. 1 goal in the past 3 weeks 🍔

Ryan copped two big collisions first quarter and looked proppy all night after that.

Looks like Gov copped a knee in the ribs totally coincidentally where he carried broken ribs into the GF.

Cripps blew an abductor.

Nic tweaked an ankle also first quarter and looked proppy too but played on.

Kennedy back from the flu was flat.

Six day break post Derby.

Any wonder we came up short in the last 40 minutes?

We probably thought we would snatch it at the end like we have before.....but didnt!

You have been asked and warned and warned and warned to please contribute in some discussion at some level to this board and have still not done so. Your access to the Eagles board has been removed.
Quinz goes BANG

Dale Doback

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Miami Heat
A bit harsh to pile on Barrass. Collingwood got away with blatant off the ball blocking to give the big useless Texan a chance to run and jump at it. It's the only way to get him involved because he can't stand 1 on 1 or in a pack and outmark Gov or Tommy and Buckley knows that, hence the blocking.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
A bit harsh to pile on Barrass. Collingwood got away with blatant off the ball blocking to give the big useless Texan a chance to run and jump at it. It's the only way to get him involved because he can't stand 1 on 1 or in a pack and outmark Gov or Tommy and Buckley knows that, hence the blocking.
Should have blocked the blockers

Gaffy Duck

All Australian
May 12, 2019
Fight Club
AFL Club
West Coast

As someone sitting behind the goals he was blocked a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back