Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope he get's the sack. Only understands negative football. Freo are horrible to watch. Juxtapose w Fagan, who openly wants to play an attractive style for fans. Players should be allpwed to play w their natural instinct and flair, not haveit pounded out of them by coaches like Lyon.

I specifically left out Hogan and Cox because they were injured and didn't even mention Bennell - or injuries, for that matter - so your rant is way off base.

If you want to vent in a safe space, go back to the Freo board or quote some more selective stats to excuse why Freo lost the last four games.
nah I won't flee back to the Freo board. Not venting any anger anyway. Just glad we had a better performance than the garbage last week. Still think Freo can 2 or 3 wins before the season ends. Hoping Swans is one of them

I hope he get's the sack. Only understands negative football. Freo are horrible to watch. Juxtapose w Fagan, who openly wants to play an attractive style for fans. Players should be allpwed to play w their natural instinct and flair, not haveit pounded out of them by coaches like Lyon.
you act LIke he never kicked 100 points in a game this year. He has done it 3 times vs North, GWS and Port.... If he was out Of contract this year, he would of been sacked after the derby.

Really hope Carlton aren't dumb enough to 'poach' Lyon.

Did well getting St Kilda & Freo to Grand Finals, but since he moved away from his ultra-defensive gamestyle to keep up with modern footy, Freo have been a lowly side. A few years ago when he brought in Hale & Guerra from Hawthorn. Hasn't worked.

So no evidence he is a top coach in today's game currently. And with the AFL always introducing rules to open up the game and increase scoring, can't see that changing.

Irrelevant. Our coach has won a flag and we are re-building.

Add to that there are a large number of swans fans who believe that Horse is too negative and we should have moved on and got a new coach rather then re-signed him.
you hate Ross Lyon yet it was your team that gave him an assistant coach job. But that is your opinion

Really hope Carlton aren't dumb enough to 'poach' Lyon.

Did well getting St Kilda & Freo to Grand Finals, but since he moved away from his ultra-defensive gamestyle to keep up with modern footy, Freo have been a lowly side. A few years ago when he brought in Hale & Guerra from Hawthorn. Hasn't worked.

So no evidence he is a top coach in today's game currently. And with the AFL always introducing rules to open up the game and increase scoring, can't see that changing.

Would like to see you mob give it to Teague. Very highly rated when at West Coast as a great tactician. No doubt can mix it up and change strategy when required. Ross is a one trick pony.

Would like to see you mob give it to Teague. Very highly rated when at West Coast as a great tactician. No doubt can mix it up and change strategy when required. Ross is a one trick pony.

Same...hopefully we keep winning or at the very least be competitive so he has an irresistible case.
Apparently highly regarded when he went to Adelaide as well.

Has shown already the 5 weeks he's been our coach his tactical nous...making game style and player role changes from Bolton that have improved our team.

Would much prefer over Lyon, as would pretty much our entire board.

Same...hopefully we keep winning or at the very least be competitive so he has an irresistible case.
Apparently highly regarded when he went to Adelaide as well.

Has shown already the 5 weeks he's been our coach his tactical nous...making game style and player role changes from Bolton that have improved our team.

Would much prefer over Lyon, as would pretty much our entire board.
I think Teague has done an outstanding job and you think the side could have easily beaten the Dogs a few weeks back.
Judd may not rate him but he's done a good apprentice and i bet if he was caretaker elsewhere he would praise him it's just the Carlton way of thinking to dismiss him because he's not "sexy" candidate..guess what neither was Fagan and look how he's going.

I think Teague has done an outstanding job and you think the side could have easily beaten the Dogs a few weeks back.
Judd may not rate him but he's done a good apprentice and i bet if he was caretaker elsewhere he would praise him it's just the Carlton way of thinking to dismiss him because he's not "sexy" candidate..guess what neither was Fagan and look how he's going.

Exactly, which is why we Carlton supporters find it hard to believe the club is being so short-sighted...

Apart from Clarkson, on current evidence i would prefer Teague over Lyon/Scott/Voss etc.

Anyway this is a thread about Lyon, point is I hope we leave him as Freo's problem and not throw out a big contract at him when he hasn't actually got good results the last few years.

We will have him if Judd gives him the ass.

Juddy obviously running the joint now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you hate Ross Lyon yet it was your team that gave him an assistant coach job. But that is your opinion
I dont hate him.

He was an assistant at the Swans a very long time ago now. 15 years ago.

He was a man of his time but my opinion is that he hasnt adapted to 2019 footy.

He has had his day.

Nothing wrong with that. At least he had his day which is more than most.

Nah Lyon isn't the worst. Taking Mark Neeld would be the worse case scenario
Lyons not a disaster type coach. He's still a solid operator. But as every year passes he's falling further behind.

His last piece of innovation was delivered to him from Tudor in 2008.

He hasn't done a thing since then. More rode that wave for all it had in it.

No shame in it. Just the reality that the game has gone past him.

Exactly, which is why we Carlton supporters find it hard to believe the club is being so short-sighted...

Apart from Clarkson, on current evidence i would prefer Teague over Lyon/Scott/Voss etc.

Anyway this is a thread about Lyon, point is I hope we leave him as Freo's problem and not throw out a big contract at him when he hasn't actually got good results the last few years.
I'm sure Bolton was worth it after sacking Malthouse

I dont hate him.

He was an assistant at the Swans a very long time ago now. 15 years ago.

He was a man of his time but my opinion is that he hasnt adapted to 2019 footy.

He has had his day.

Nothing wrong with that. At least he had his day which is more than most.
Fair enough. Again if Ross Lyon was out Of contract, he probably would be gone. Is it worth paying out his contact? Debateable.

Lyon doesn’t know how to rebuild at all.

I've said it before but I'm not unhappy with where the list is at, this is a legitimate rebuild and although the list is still very mid-tier, missing pieces and needing players to step up, it's far from a horrible group of players. So the rebuild gets a (caveat: job half done) tick.

Lyon doesn't know how to game day.

Fair enough. Again if Ross Lyon was out Of contract, he probably would be gone. Is it worth paying out his contact? Debateable.
I still think you need to keep him until his contract end, love him or hate him. In soccer arsenal do it with Wenger compare to Chelsea.

Ross Lyon being a great coach is fake news.

He got to the Saints at the perfect time and took over a superb, mature list. Should have won a flag with it and didn't.

Then he did the same thing at Freo. Harvey built them up and Ross came in at the exact moment he needed to as the list was primed to go deep in finals.

Didn't win a flag with either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back