Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was delisted and then rookied at the beginning of 2016, thus this year would be Year 3. To my knowledge, his upgrade was never announced, so I thought he was still a rookie. It used to have to happen through the draft, but nowadays I think it's usually just an announcement and paperwork, perhaps we did the paperwork but didn't announce his upgrade.

I'm not sure about Thomas, but I suspect hes still officially a rookie listed player (with a season 2018 only promotion) from memory, in his third year. Meaning he would drop back to the rookie list at the end of the year. As this would be his fourth year as a rookie in 2019 he would have to be promoted permenantly.

So thats Thomas and Mihocek we need to make room for in the senior list of 38. Makes it even harder to press Applebys case for promotion!!!

You'd assume that some senior list spots will be made vacant by Smith Wills Fasolo Kirby and Blair leaving, as well as Oxley off the rookie list. Add two promotions and thats only three senior spots available for trading and drafting. Maybe Wells will go too. Crocker perhaps but the club seems to like him and hes contracted. And then theres whats happening with Moore and May, will we have two of them next year, one of them or neither of them.

I thought he was delisted and then rookied at the beginning of 2016, thus this year would be Year 3. To my knowledge, his upgrade was never announced, so I thought he was still a rookie. It used to have to happen through the draft, but nowadays I think it's usually just an announcement and paperwork, perhaps we did the paperwork but didn't announce his upgrade.

Nah, we carried both Thomas and Keeffe on the rookie list during their bans. Could be that he does get special consideration given that 2 year ban but I think he'll be upgraded anyway.

Nah, we carried both Thomas and Keeffe on the rookie list during their bans. Could be that he does get special consideration given that 2 year ban but I think he'll be upgraded anyway.

They tested positive in preseason of 2015 and were delisted thus weren't on the rookie list during the first year of their ban. They were rookied at the end of 2015, thus 2016 was their first year and 2017 their second year on the rookie list. If he's still on the rookie list, this is Thomas's 3rd year. He has to be on the Primary list next year, but didn't have to be this year.

They tested positive in preseason of 2015 and were delisted thus weren't on the rookie list during the first year of their ban. They were rookied at the end of 2015, thus 2016 was their first year and 2017 their second year on the rookie list. If he's still on the rookie list, this is Thomas's 3rd year. He has to be on the Primary list next year, but didn't have to be this year.

Yeah, they had the 1 year when they were off the list because they were delisted post drafts.

Yeah, they had the 1 year when they were off the list because they were delisted post drafts.

Incorrect. They didnt have a year off the list.

They were delisted in August 2015 after they got their ASADA bans (backdated to February) and redrafted on the rookie list three months later in November 2015. Anybody could have drafted them at that time, and in fact the Pies took Keeffe early in the rookie draft because they thought Essendon were sniffing around.

2015 - senior listed players...suspended in February, delisted August, redrafted rookies November
2016 - rookie listed players, suspended
2017 - rookie listed players, free to resume playing in Feb/March. Keeffe delisted at end of year and picked up by GWS as a delisted FA
2018 - Presumably Thomas still on rookie list
2019 - If Thomas isnt a senior listed player already he has to be in 2019

Last edited:
Incorrect. They didnt have a year off the list.

They were delisted in August 2015 after they got their ASADA bans (backdated to February) and redrafted on the rookie list three months later in November 2015. Anybody could have drafted them at that time, and in fact the Pies took Keeffe early in the rookie draft because they thought Essendon were sniffing around.

2015 - senior listed players...suspended in February, delisted August, redrafted rookies November
2016 - rookie listed players, suspended
2017 - rookie listed players, free to resume playing in Feb/March. Keeffe delisted at end of year and picked up by GWS as a delisted FA
2018 - Presumably Thomas still on rookie list
2019 - If Thomas isnt a senior listed player already he has to be in 2019

Semantics really. I don't recall them being considered for selection in 2015.

Semantics really. I don't recall them being considered for selection in 2015.

One mans semantics is another mans facts. They werent considered for selection in 2016 either so not sure of your point.

The first year of their suspension they were senior list players, the second year they were rookie list players.

They never had a year "off the list".....just a month or three in August 2015 before being redrafted.

One mans semantics is another mans facts. They werent considered for selection in 2016 either so not sure of your point.

The first year of their suspension they were senior list players, the second year they were rookie list players.

They never had a year "off the list".....just a month or three in August 2015 before being redrafted.

whatever

I would upgrade him as soon as possible given he almost won a final single handed.
Anyone can see he is best 22.
No brainer really.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would upgrade him as soon as possible given he almost won a final single handed.
Anyone can see he is best 22.
No brainer really.
Outside of the initial contract being 1 year, there is no difference anymore between rookie list or not. Best 22 or not is irrelevant. We could sign Mihocek for a ten year 6 million dollar contract and keep him on the rookie list for a year or two. The whole thing is stupid.

Outside of the initial contract being 1 year, there is no difference anymore between rookie list or not. Best 22 or not is irrelevant. We could sign Mihocek for a ten year 6 million dollar contract and keep him on the rookie list for a year or two. The whole thing is stupid.

I suspect they will get rid of it eventually and just keep the Cat B rookie list system. And you can run with minimum list of 40 plus Cat B's and a maximum of as many as you want. The more you have the more cap stress you have.

at least get your gramma right.
I agree...
iu

Was hoping he'd play more seniors this year but alas it doesn't seem to be. Hopefully next year he gets a good run and he can come in and boost our back line even greater. The prospect of having Apples play the small-medium defender role ala Toovey, freeing Maynard up to play more wing/centre has me salivating.

Was hoping he'd play more seniors this year but alas it doesn't seem to be. Hopefully next year he gets a good run and he can come in and boost our back line even greater. The prospect of having Apples play the small-medium defender role ala Toovey, freeing Maynard up to play more wing/centre has me salivating.
he was solid yesterday, just needs a couple more games and he would be good to go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back