Lack of Respect for the History of our Great Game by Interstate Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
To be fair, I should mention all the big name Victorian players who chased the big money and fame in S.A and W.A before the AFL expansion.

Ummm.......little help?

I think it shows the foresight of the John Elliot initiative played a much bigger part in the evolution of the national comp than it is credited with, by not including WA, it alerted WA footy chiefs that it could happen without them.

Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it shows the foresight of the John Elliot initiative played a much bigger part in the evolution of the national comp than it is credited with, by not including WA, it alerted WA footy chiefs that it could happen without them.
Foresight and Elliott shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence unless it's preceded by " lack of "

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Who cares what those that didn't see what the SANFL, TFL, WAFL or even the VFL pre 80s.

The reality is there were some amazing players that would dominate in today's game. It makes me smile that some refer to Milne in the discussion of best small forward, when Malcolm Blight eclipsed his record and stats in the VFL and SANFL whilst playing only a small % of his time forward.

Stephen Micheal was a master of footy. Having elite speed and a build like Judd, with a smoother glide like McLeod, and the ability to mark overhead.

Barry Robran and Russel Ebert.......nothing more to be said.

I guess the point is those that genuinely love footy, enjoy all the leagues and appreciate all the great decades. The only real difference is some of us are younger and others older, so we all have a different understanding and experience. but great football is great football.

Exactly..

You can crap on all day long until the sun goes down and rises again ...but the simple fact remains...no VFL gun player has ever...EVER...in the history of Australian Rules Football ..packed up his kit and moved to South Australia or WA and joined their league for greener pastures because they believed they were moving to a superior competition.

Nice little qualifier you add at the end there, I wasn't aware you could read the minds of other people, including the dead, to know what they were thinking when they moved states.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There seems to be an absolute lack of respect for the history of our great game by some Interstate clubs supporters simply because their clubs were not present.

Should Carlton forget about champions such as Nicholls and Jesaulenko because they only played in 12 team competitions?

Should the legends of the Colliers and Coventry’s be wiped from the record books because they played iagaindt ‘suburban’ teams’ ?

Should the Coleman medal be renamed the ‘Kennedy Medal’ because the great man played in a time of ‘amateur’ footballers and should Reynolds exploits be ignored?

Perhaps Bunton and Murray should be thrown on the scrap heap.

Maybe the immortal that is EJ Whitten should be relegated to suburban footballer and forget about Charlie Sutton.

Farmer and Goggin should be removed because they were not part of the AFL. Even Ablett’s 9 goal GF heroics would be wiped.

Matthews the greatest of them all would not be considered with the modern greats because he played in pre AFL

Barrassi and the immortal Demons teams of the 50s and 60s should not be celebrated due to the the fact they didn’t play in the expansion. The Norm Smith medal should be renamed

Grieg and Dempsey only played part time and could not possibly rank with the greats of today

Forget the Jack Dyer medal, Tigers fans should ignore his legend and rename it the Dusty medal. As for Hart and Bartlett they would not rate.

Pratt’s 150 and Nash’s heroics do not count

Baldock and Stewart ??? Who ???

And well we are at let’s rename ‘Up there Cazaly’ - Up there Modra
and the Jock McHale medal the ‘Simpson Medal’. No matter what era, no matter how long ago, a champion of the game is a champion of the game. They were the best on a level playing field against their peers. A Premiership whether Essendon in 1897 or West Coasts in 2018 was just as important. The history of our great game has been carved and written and for those who don’t like it the answer is simple. Stop whinging about our past and go and make your own history.
297.png

And stay off my lawn!!

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
While there may be alternatives, it is doubtful that they would represent a better outcome.

The AFL came into existence as an expansion of the VFL. It might have been achieved in other ways, but that was how it happened.

Let us also not forget the attitude of the "previous leagues". The WAFL was awarded the first licence in WA. And immediately put it up for sale to the highest bidder. Hardly a glowing reason for the AFL to be more inclusive of WAFL sensibilities.

And why did they do this? Because the VFL (surprise, surprise) changed the deal at the last minute and demanded the $4 million up front rather than over a 10 year period as previously agreed.

Essentially had the Eagles not paid that upfront fee, at least four VFL clubs would have been forced to fold and the league would have had a massive crisis on its hands.

Love it when supporters of those clubs whine that West Coast is not a real footy club because it hasn’t existed for 60+ years.

Should be referred to as the franchise clubs.

I consider franchise clubs to be those clubs not ultimately owned/controlled by their members.

Yes, that's most of the non Vic clubs, but that's more a matter of history than location.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
What do West Australians call other parts of Australia?

If I was to refer to them as a collective I guess I’d call them non-WA clubs.

The problem is that clubs outside Victoria are just automatically regarded as interstate. Even supporters of those clubs often refer to them as such. That’s the way we are presented by the AFL and the national AFL media despite being a national competition.

DaveEgoat

Senior List
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I bet your so happy about that reply.....

Barry Cable
Polly Farmer
Stephen Kernahan
Malcom Blight
Brian Peake
Ross Glendinning
Craig Bradley
Gary Buckanara
Ken Hunter
Peter Bosustow
Maurice Rioli
Nicky Winmar
Phil and Jimmy Krakouer
Graham Moss

That’s just of the top of head without doing any research

Go ahead name 1 more Victorian

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Sadly the way the AFL was formed makes everything so divisive.

I for one would love to hear more about SA and WA football history from the media. I saw a clip of Buckley playing his first year for Port Adelaide last year on 360 and found it fascinating. Yet we hardly ever hear about this sort of stuff. It’s largely ignored which I feel is ridiculous considering how many good players have come from states that aren’t Victoria.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Barry Cable
Polly Farmer
Stephen Kernahan
Malcom Blight
Brian Peake
Ross Glendinning
Craig Bradley
Gary Buckanara
Ken Hunter
Peter Bosustow
Maurice Rioli
Nicky Winmar
Phil and Jimmy Krakouer
Graham Moss

I don't have to, I'm not the one making absolute statements and crying over imagined slights to my team and/or state. Does it make you feel better if the VFL was the biggest competition? Why? How sad is your life that you have to hang your hat on that?

DaveEgoat

Senior List
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Actually I think you do

Non Victorian supporters need to acknowledge that Victorian football is and always has been the dominate force in the sport.

Arguing otherwise shows that your living in a fantasy land of fairies, elves and complete denial

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Haha. Many VFL clubs cease to exist if not for the Eagles and the royalties we paid. The fact we didn’t then just roll over and die seems to be a constant source of annoyance for many pining for the good old days.

Just a thank you would do the trick here.
There is no way the Eagles would’ve been started if there was nothing in it for them. You didn’t join for charity.

sigur

Team Captain
Oct 14, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

Barry Cable
Polly Farmer
Stephen Kernahan
Malcom Blight
Brian Peake
Ross Glendinning
Craig Bradley
Gary Buckanara
Ken Hunter
Peter Bosustow
Maurice Rioli
Nicky Winmar
Phil and Jimmy Krakouer
Graham Moss

Len Fitgerald crossed from Collingwood to Sturt , pretty handy player.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Haha. Many VFL clubs cease to exist if not for the Eagles and the royalties we paid.

You seem to be unaware that many in Victorian football WANTED the weak sister Clubs to go under.

And - here's a list of the football Clubs which would have gone bust first:

Perth
West Perth
East Fremantle
Subiaco
Claremont
South Fremantle
South Fremantle
Swan Districts

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
There is no way the Eagles would’ve been started if there was nothing in it for them. You didn’t join for charity.

... there’s no way the VFL would have needed a $4 million up front licensing fee to be paid immediately if the league wasn’t in dire circumstances.

Yes the Eagles were created to save footy in WA, however their joining the VFL saved many clubs in Victoria from collapsing and Victorian footy from imploding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back