Unofficial Preview Sack Hinkley

Sack him?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, none of us will have to, It's gotten to the point where my first thoughts during a game go to this thread, and what people are going to say, it's not healthy, this thread needs a bye. At some point at least.

For someone to take it so personally - you must be Ken as we all suspect.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hopefully, none of us will have to, It's gotten to the point where my first thoughts during a game go to this thread, and what people are going to say, it's not healthy, this thread needs a bye. At some point at least.
We lose tomorrow and our season wont be too healthy, especially with our up coming games.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not Ken, and at the moment I'm not sure if I want to be, hopefully, one day I'll want to be though if he somehow manages to get a cup.
lkjnbg.jpeg

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

? I had them winning 0 games this season, 1 game being a pass mark.

They've won 3. They've obviously run out of legs now and probably won't win another, but he definitely has them playing for him. Give them another two pre-seasons under Dew, let their youth develop, and we can see how they go in 2021.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
? I had them winning 0 games this season, 1 game being a pass mark.

They've won 3. They've obviously run out of legs now and probably won't win another, but he definitely has them playing for him. Give them another two pre-seasons under Dew, let their youth develop, and we can see how they go in 2021.
I mean you posted this hours before they lost by 100 points for the second week running haha.

Fair enough if you thought they would be THAT bad.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We are certainly not the only ones in the comp suffering from inconsistency at the moment.
In fact, excluding Geelong and maybe WCE depending on how they finish the year, it seems that almost every team in the eight, or contending the eight, has suffered from upset losses and poor performances. And after what those Dogs did to the Cats I wouldn't say our loss to them was unbearable.

I'd like to have finished top 2 at some stage in the past handful of years and not be excusing our upset losses because it has occurred with a bunch of other teams. We have not made a grand final because we've had embarrassing upset losses that are inexcusable and kept us well away from top 4.
How do you rate Hinkley's coaching?

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I'd like to have finished top 2 at some stage in the past handful of years and not be excusing our upset losses because it has occurred with a bunch of other teams. We have not made a grand final because we've had embarrassing upset losses that are inexcusable and kept us well away from top 4.
How do you rate Hinkley's coaching?
The nature and stance of the competition in each season will usually tell you what you need to do to make the eight, and win in the eight:

This was a year that punished many teams that weren't able to deliver enough consistent performances. This is why teams like Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong managed a top-eight finish, even though none of those teams was very capable of finals football, but the truth was they manage to get enough easy wins by playing basic football in a time when other teams were struggling with organisation. I would argue we weren't very far off the mark in 2018 when we played at our best, and the same goes for teams like the Bombers and the Crows, but none of these three teams was well equipped or organised during the season for one reason or another, and as a result none of these teams made the eight, even though potentially they all could've been as high up as the top four. Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong kept it simple and focused on getting enough wins to get a good finish, but none of those teams managed to make strong marks in the finals because they didn't play finals quality football, which is why all bar one of those teams are struggling this year. The best sides of 2018, for the few that there were, managed to find a good balance of playing clean attacking football and also posing a threat to the rest of the competition. Melbourne, Collingwood and West Coast were all well organized for their respective injuries, and all three also pulled off huge wins, including Melbourne's demolishing of the at the time in-form Crows, Collingwood smashing out the premiership favourite Tigers with ease in the prelim, and West Coast doing the same to the Tigers at Optus to temporarily take the top of the ladder. This was a year were making the eight and winning in the eight required two very different approaches. We were very capable of finals football, but we weren't able to deliver enough clean results and gather a good enough percentage to finish in the eight, in our case most of it was due to injuries killing us in the back half of the year, and our players not willing to stay committed to the gameplan, which led to a lack of list organisation and eventually broke the whole thing down.

A similar year, with a noticeable difference in requirements to make the eight and win in the eight, but I don't think there were any teams that bluffed to make the eight in this year. The only squabble was between West Coast and Melbourne to get the final top eight spot. The Bulldogs and the Hawks were no longer threatening the competition, and as a result, were not able to take on enough good teams to finish in the top eight. Saint Kilda was still trying to work their way through the competition but was not successful, and Collingwood was taking a look at itself in preparation for the following year. Needless to say, there wasn't a single team in the eight that year that didn't earn it one way or another, but throughout all the eight teams, only one was able to play football unlike any of the others, and that was Richmond. Richmond played fast, mobile and in some ways unattractive football, as opposed to all the other seven teams that played clean, attacking football. That's why the 2017 finals series was generally considered uninteresting, because of how basic the football was and how one-sided the outcomes were, but the difference with Richmond is that they weren't a simple opposition like the Cats or Giants, they played and worked as a group to gather ground dominance that nobody was willing to counter, not to mention the amount of mental strength and unity the team had built in the offseason. Adelaide didn't stand a chance against them, and they certainly weren't willing to get down on the ground more to counter them. Richmond won that year because they were a team like no other, and to be honest I can't really say there was much going for us that year, even if we did win the EF as we should have if we had simply ceased our scoring opportunities, I don't think we would've been able to beat the Giants, much less the Tigers. We played clean attacking football which was good to watch and got us a good percentage and ladder finish, but the football itself was not very different to many of the other top eight teams of that year, and I can see why we tried to change our plan and style the following year. Were we to stick with this style we would've managed to finish in the eight in 2018, but we wouldn't have been able to play finals quality football.

There was a huge division between the eight and the rest of the competition during this year, there were teams that were clearly defined as better than others, and among the better teams there wasn't much separation between them in terms of quality, which is why it was the only year in AFL history where a team that finished 7th won the premiership. The requirements to make the eight and win in the eight this year were pretty straight forward, play good attacking football, get good percentage and win enough games. I'd say we did ok this year considering the number of injuries we had. I don't think we were playing very bad football, and it wasn't much different from any of the finals teams, we just simply didn't win enough games with the list we had, I think I can write off this year without looking back on it too much, it's unfortunate though because were we to have our full strength in the duress of that year we would've been a very good premiership chance, based on the state of the rest of the competition. I just wish that of all the years where we had to cope with injuries to major players it wasn't going to be this one.

Look I'm not going to lie, little excuses for the year's terrible result. Nothing to do with the stance of the rest of the competition. We simply did too much work in the preseason which visually exhausted our players, not to mention Micheal Voss and the players struggling to work together after Walsh had been with us for so many years. But this year really should've been our next big step, and potentially our best year of the decade, and it was wasted. WITH THAT SAID it was a year I was pretty confident we could learn from, and personally, I think we have in certain ways, hopefully in we can reflect this through our season performances in the future.

THIS year the competition is tight, excluding one team almost every team has suffered from inconsistency. It's been an ugly year for football so far, but I hope we can find our way through it with a good end result. I like some of the things we've been doing this season, even if there are some other things I'm not a huge fan of, but if we can continue to improve our bad patches and polish ourselves up then I'm confident we will be in for a very good future.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The nature and stance of the competition in each season will usually tell you what you need to do to make the eight, and win in the eight:

This was a year that punished many teams that weren't able to deliver enough consistent performances. This is why teams like Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong managed a top-eight finish, even though none of those teams was very capable of finals football, but the truth was they manage to get enough easy wins by playing basic football in a time when other teams were struggling with organisation. I would argue we weren't very far off the mark in 2018 when we played at our best, and the same goes for teams like the Bombers and the Crows, but none of these three teams was well equipped or organised during the season for one reason or another, and as a result none of these teams made the eight, even though potentially they all could've been as high up as the top four. Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong kept it simple and focused on getting enough wins to get a good finish, but none of those teams managed to make strong marks in the finals because they didn't play finals quality football, which is why all bar one of those teams are struggling this year. The best sides of 2018, for the few that there were, managed to find a good balance of playing clean attacking football and also posing a threat to the rest of the competition. Melbourne, Collingwood and West Coast were all well organized for their respective injuries, and all three also pulled off huge wins, including Melbourne's demolishing of the at the time in-form Crows, Collingwood smashing out the premiership favourite Tigers with ease in the prelim, and West Coast doing the same to the Tigers at Optus to temporarily take the top of the ladder. This was a year were making the eight and winning in the eight required two very different approaches. We were very capable of finals football, but we weren't able to deliver enough clean results and gather a good enough percentage to finish in the eight, in our case most of it was due to injuries killing us in the back half of the year, and our players not willing to stay committed to the gameplan, which led to a lack of list organisation and eventually broke the whole thing down.

A similar year, with a noticeable difference in requirements to make the eight and win in the eight, but I don't think there were any teams that bluffed to make the eight in this year. The only squabble was between West Coast and Melbourne to get the final top eight spot. The Bulldogs and the Hawks were no longer threatening the competition, and as a result, were not able to take on enough good teams to finish in the top eight. Saint Kilda was still trying to work their way through the competition but was not successful, and Collingwood was taking a look at itself in preparation for the following year. Needless to say, there wasn't a single team in the eight that year that didn't earn it one way or another, but throughout all the eight teams, only one was able to play football unlike any of the others, and that was Richmond. Richmond played fast, mobile and in some ways unattractive football, as opposed to all the other seven teams that played clean, attacking football. That's why the 2017 finals series was generally considered uninteresting, because of how basic the football was and how one-sided the outcomes were, but the difference with Richmond is that they weren't a simple opposition like the Cats or Giants, they played and worked as a group to gather ground dominance that nobody was willing to counter, not to mention the amount of mental strength and unity the team had built in the offseason. Adelaide didn't stand a chance against them, and they certainly weren't willing to get down on the ground more to counter them. Richmond won that year because they were a team like no other, and to be honest I can't really say there was much going for us that year, even if we did win the EF as we should have if we had simply ceased our scoring opportunities, I don't think we would've been able to beat the Giants, much less the Tigers. We played clean attacking football which was good to watch and got us a good percentage and ladder finish, but the football itself was not very different to many of the other top eight teams of that year, and I can see why we tried to change our plan and style the following year. Were we to stick with this style we would've managed to finish in the eight in 2018, but we wouldn't have been able to play finals quality football.

There was a huge division between the eight and the rest of the competition during this year, there were teams that were clearly defined as better than others, and among the better teams there wasn't much separation between them in terms of quality, which is why it was the only year in AFL history where a team that finished 7th won the premiership. The requirements to make the eight and win in the eight this year were pretty straight forward, play good attacking football, get good percentage and win enough games. I'd say we did ok this year considering the number of injuries we had. I don't think we were playing very bad football, and it wasn't much different from any of the finals teams, we just simply didn't win enough games with the list we had, I think I can write off this year without looking back on it too much, it's unfortunate though because were we to have our full strength in the duress of that year we would've been a very good premiership chance, based on the state of the rest of the competition. I just wish that of all the years where we had to cope with injuries to major players it wasn't going to be this one.

Look I'm not going to lie, little excuses for the year's terrible result. Nothing to do with the stance of the rest of the competition. We simply did too much work in the preseason which visually exhausted our players, not to mention Micheal Voss and the players struggling to work together after Walsh had been with us for so many years. But this year really should've been our next big step, and potentially our best year of the decade, and it was wasted. WITH THAT SAID it was a year I was pretty confident we could learn from, and personally, I think we have in certain ways, hopefully in we can reflect this through our season performances in the future.

THIS year the competition is tight, excluding one team almost every team has suffered from inconsistency. It's been an ugly year for football so far, but I hope we can find our way through it with a good end result. I like some of the things we've been doing this season, even if there are some other things I'm not a huge fan of, but if we can continue to improve our bad patches and polish ourselves up then I'm confident we will be in for a very good future.

So, how do you rate Hinkley's ability to coach us to a flag?
I'm not interested in these other teams.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
So, how do you rate Hinkley's ability to coach us to a flag?
I'm not interested in these other teams.
I think he certainly has a chance to win us a flag, although the end result of this year will dictate what path we are on, which may or may not change my answer, hopefully not.
What I was saying before was that you need to look at the rest of the competition to see how we compare, and for the last few years we haven't been far off the mark. The difference with this year is that the club is happy with the direction we are going in and wants to improve and polish our plan and style. And if we do, I think we will be a strong chance of winning a premiership, and I don't think Ken will be the one stopping us. I was also trying to address our inconsistent performances and how they aren't out of place at all with the rest of the competition, so no point getting worked up about it like we are the only ones suffering from it. That being said, we still need to win enough games to make sure we can get into the eight, and I will be let down if we fail to do so.

In answer to your question, I think Ken certainly has the ability to coach us to a flag, whether he will or not only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back