Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Yes the surface is harder from the start of the season compared to now but 5-6 weeks ago the WAFL state game players were saying they have never played on a harder surface and over a period of time playing on the harder surface your going to be more susceptible to the ankle injuries .

I'm becoming paranoid about it now so many lower leg injuries .
High ankle sprains most commonly occur when your foot is planted on the ground and then an excessive outwards twisting of your foot occurs. High ankle ligaments can also sprain when your ankle is loaded severely and pushed into excessive dorsiflexion. This often occurs in football tackles.
Its not about hardness of the surface in this injury I suggest .

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Still annoyed about the Duggan injury

I just cant help but shake the feeling that when he's done the ankle badly, the club has given him a jab/s to allow him to run out the game, and then when they have had proper time to evaluate the injury, its been "oh......s**t"

That's the only logical explanation i can muster, because you don't just let someone who has experienced a syndesmosis injury play out the game. Especially since it could potentially keep him out of finals series and off his feet for the next 6 weeks.

I interpreted the "when it cooled down and it didn't come up so good" explanation as "yeah, we might have screwed this up"

And before someone says "well, how would you know what the best medical call is to make?", without elaborating too much, my background is medical/sports injury

I hope he makes a very speedy recovery

I always wonder if running out the game increases the severity of the injury. Better be safe than sorry and bench them for the rest of the game imo.

Especially given the shellacking we were giving them. It wasn't like we needed all hands on deck to carry us over the line.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Especially given the shellacking we were giving them. It wasn't like we needed all hands on deck to carry us over the line.

In all honesty he probably said he felt ok. What can the docs do?
"Does this hurt?"
"Nup"
"Ok then"

Its not like they coulda scanned him on gameday. However I agree that after the game was beyond doubt he should have been pulled as a precaution.

In all honesty he probably said he felt ok. What can the docs do?
"Does this hurt?"
"Nup"
"Ok then"

Its not like they coulda scanned him on gameday. However I agree that after the game was beyond doubt he should have been pulled as a precaution.

The question we’ll never know the answer to is did he damage the ankle further by continuing to play. I doubt the medical staff would knowingly allow him to keep going if they thought he’d make it worse

Maybe they made a mistake but we all know players are rarely honest when it comes to telling docs how they’re feeling because they want to keep playing

mad_eagle

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2008
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Injuries starting to creep up on us.

Three in three weeks.

Hutch, Duggs and now Crippa.

Was thinking this last night, a couple of guys who looked very ginger in the later stages last night. Other than the obvious one in Cripps, I’m crossing my fingers for no surprises to pop up on the injury list come Tuesday. Hopefully just a culmination of the two wet slogs, followed by a bruising encounter last night.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Out: comments about how good our injury list is.

Definitely more worried about the guys out than I am about the loss. Those 3 are regularly on top of our running categories allowing the burst players to come off more often and impact the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back