"Sack Goodwin!"

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
He had that episode not that long ago when he had to go to hospital. From outside looking in, he looks to have no balance at all. Needs to do a Bucks and take a chill pill.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think there are only so many ways he can say the same thing after every match we lose. The club seemed to have a fair idea that the start to the season would be hard with the surgeries etc , don't think they expected it to last this far into the season, or for players to completely drop off form wise . In a way he is lucky because for now the press seem to be not as intent on getting him sacked like Bolton or Scott.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
I think there are only so many ways he can say the same thing after every match we lose. The club seemed to have a fair idea that the start to the season would be hard with the surgeries etc , don't think they expected it to last this far into the season, or for players to completely drop off form wise . In a way he is lucky because for now the press seem to be not as intent on getting him sacked like Bolton or Scott.

Goodwin gets overlooked by the media because:
A) they know they can't heap enough pressure on to get him fired
B) we're an irrelevant club

Finals or bust next season?
IMO if we don't have an unreal season next year this year seems like less of an anomaly and more like something that we could easily slip to again under Goody (autocorrect wanted 'Goofy' there'. If we come out and beat all of the top 4 sides and finish top 2 he can point to 2019 and say it was because of the poor preseason etc. If we limp into finals or have a 2018-like season where we only beat bottom sides until we peak briefly at the end I'll head into 2021 worried that it'll be another 2019.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
IMO if we don't have an unreal season next year this year seems like less of an anomaly and more like something that we could easily slip to again under Goody (autocorrect wanted 'Goofy' there'. If we come out and beat all of the top 4 sides and finish top 2 he can point to 2019 and say it was because of the poor preseason etc. If we limp into finals or have a 2018-like season where we only beat bottom sides until we peak briefly at the end I'll head into 2021 worried that it'll be another 2019.

That is my worry too, rather than either dominate or have a god awful season where we can make a call one way or the other we'll be in the middle 6 bracket of teams and either sneak into finals or just miss out and they'll deem it enough to keep him on for another year.

Topkent happy to admit I was wrong that we should have signed him up before the season, I saw it as a sign of good faith (Although didn't expect it to be so long) but now it has put us in an awful position where should we sack him next year we'll be paying a stupid amount to pay him out.

I don't think he's a very good coach, at the end of the day. Not intelligent enough to be a student of the game, not motivating enough to be an old-school style leader. Nice bloke, but the club is now in the wrong hands and Paul Roos has soiled his legacy by choosing Goodwin.

That is my worry too, rather than either dominate or have a god awful season where we can make a call one way or the other we'll be in the middle 6 bracket of teams and either sneak into finals or just miss out and they'll deem it enough to keep him on for another year.

Topkent happy to admit I was wrong that we should have signed him up before the season, I saw it as a sign of good faith (Although didn't expect it to be so long) but now it has put us in an awful position where should we sack him next year we'll be paying a stupid amount to pay him out.
Yep. It's either top 2 or bust for mine, but I think there's a 95% chance bust ends up looking like another bottom 6 finish and a 5% chance 2019 is in fact a blip and we can pick up where 2018 left off (prelim aside) next year. Don't have much hope unless we pull off some kind of amazing trade coup and add a top 30 player to our list.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The most worrying aspect for me isn't W/L it's that the style that got us to a prelim last year had obvious holes against good sides who belted us pretty easily last year, rather than make any progress on fixing those issues this year we have continued to play the same way but far less successfully and rather than try and change it up, every press conference is now about our brand and our contested ball numbers.

His only answer to our bees to the honeypot issues has been to move Brayshaw out of the middle and Jones to the HBF.. now we are playing Lewis inside who runs like he's in a jar of honey.

I'm worried he's too stubborn to realize we have a terrible game style that isn't sustainable and we are gonna have another go at it next year with a 'fit list

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
The most worrying aspect for me isn't W/L it's that the style that got us to a prelim last year had obvious holes against good sides who belted us pretty easily last year, rather than make any progress on fixing those issues this year we have continued to play the same way but far less successfully and rather than try and change it up, every press conference is now about our brand and our contested ball numbers.

His only answer to our bees to the honeypot issues has been to move Brayshaw out of the middle and Jones to the HBF.. now we are playing Lewis inside who runs like he's in a jar of honey.

I'm worried he's too stubborn to realize we have a terrible game style that isn't sustainable and we are gonna have another go at it next year with a 'fit list

I don’t think he is stubborn rather he doesn’t have any ideas

Below average coach in my opinion. I picked us for 9th this year and think about the same next year if all goes well

We ain’t what we used to be

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

My favourite part of this post is that you decided to double down on the honey analogy in the middle there.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Finals or bust next season?

Finals... fore-shore.
We are really around a top 6 team, and with the right recruits a top 4 side in 2020.
This end of season has to be the biggest player Hunt of our history..... Coniglio is a must. Free agent.
He is the small inside Mid, to aid our ability to get the ball away cleanly from the centre contests and will help our other inside magnets. And he will aid us outside, with the running all around the ground.

Get the chequebook out Melbourne.... Now is the time for a Free Agent.

And we can trade for Langdon + the Hill (Brothers)... Our 2020_ 1st and 2nd Rnd picks, + our 2019_ 2nd Rnd pick.?

We'll have to make some room in the salary cap somehow, to do it. Maybe a trade-out.?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Finals... fore-shore.
We are really around a top 6 team, and wirth the right recruits a top 4 side in 2020.
Who are you pushing out for us to make top 4 in 2020?

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who are you pushing out for us to make top 4 in 2020?
Pushing out, oh, you mean 'teams', rather than teammates, to make the space required for Coniglio and Langdon.

Well, lets see, since the Lions will come back to earth next year... thats one spot, and the Woods, could be another. All are vulnerable, and no team is guaranteed a spot in top 4.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Pushing out, oh, you mean 'teams', rather than teammates, to make the space required for Coniglio and Langdon.

Well, lets see, since the Lions will come back to earth next year... thats one spot, and the Woods, could be another. All are vulnerable, and no team is guaranteed a spot in top 4.
That’s why I don’t like top four predictions. Even if we do get better next year (hard to believe we could be worse, but it can’t be ruled out) you have to believe that we will be good enough to displace a team already there, and accelerating upwards faster than the handful of teams on an upward trajectory.

I certainly agree that no team is guaranteed a spot in the top 4. Because it’s self evident. Little info provided by you to suggest we are more likely to assume one of those spots next year than pies or lions. Or anyone for that matter.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
That’s why I don’t like top four predictions. Even if we do get better next year (hard to believe we could be worse, but it can’t be ruled out) you have to believe that we will be good enough to displace a team already there, and accelerating upwards faster than the handful of teams on an upward trajectory.

I certainly agree that no team is guaranteed a spot in the top 4. Because it’s self evident. Little info provided by you to suggest we are more likely to assume one of those spots next year than pies or lions. Or anyone for that matter.
We are better than 10 or 11 other teams, at this point, right now, List wise. Just not on the ladder.

We lack in a couple of list positions, as we all know well. Re, the running area of our game
SMay is a help in this area, even as a key tall player. So will, I hope, Lever.

Lockhart is a win, over our 2018 season. oBaker is also a win, over last season's list. Dunkley looks like he could help. So we don't need too many others, to make a big difference.

We need Hannan to find form and fitness next year.

Petracca is starting to show just now, lately, what I've been hoping for, from him. A more robust physical effort.
... Next, he has to get mentally tougher, generally... and in front of the big sticks. He is taking the step now... he should have taken last season. So IMO, he is a season behind in mental toughness.
Lets hope he continues to UP the Ante for the remainder of this season... so he can build ontop of that again, next year.
He could be a Dynamo... or he could just flop about aimlessly again next year.
It depends on his attitude, whether he wants to sulk, or to get on with his career, and work his ring off.

I can just tell from being around vfl/afl, a long time.

Back