Simon Goodwin: Why so little noise?

flojo

All Australian
Jul 28, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I presume he's not getting any heat mainly because you they gave him a contract extension at the start of the year.
Next year however there will be more noise if this year's form is repeated.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Only guys who have been consistent is Jetta, Gawnand Oliver, While people will Argue with Oliver he's not regressed. just had the same season. he has a few things to work on his game before he's a consistent top 5 midfielder. However he has all the talent and time on his side

Jetta has been our injured most of the year and was profoundly down in form prior to that.
Don't you just love it when people who have no knowledge at all on a club have a crack at being a know-it-all about them anyway - hoping nobody will notice?

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Why are people so obsessed with putting coach X, Y or Z under the microscope? Its like gossip, innuendo and drama fuel their otherwise boring lives.

Watched the news lately? Other people's misery is a spectator sport for the masses, it seems. It's sad and pathetic, but true.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know it doesn't exist according to the AFL but, could they be tanking? Currently pick 3 which looks very nice but may even go as low as pick 2, mmm
No, just genuinely s**t this year. Goodwin has nothing to gain from draft picks because he won't see out his contract if he doesn't improve next year.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Post-season surgery or injuries don't make your side absolutely shitful at skills. Putrid going inside 50. Terrible field kicking. Wasteful in front of goal. These things can't just be fixed by starting pre-season in November instead of December.

I know it doesn't exist according to the AFL but, could they be tanking? Currently pick 3 which looks very nice but may even go as low as pick 2, mmm
Well Goodwin is failing at that as we just beat Carlton

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yet this year with a far heavier injury toll than Melbourne, Richmond have won more games
1. Richmond are just better. Deeper list. More established game plan. More mature senior players. More gun kids ie. Stack (and Ross).

But...

2. When Richmond were without both key defenders, a couple of starting mids and Riewoldt they didn't look like winning.

With Astbury: 9-3
Without Astbury: 0-3 absolutely spanked by Dogs, Cats and Crows.

Since Steve May has come in to the Melbourne side the Demons have at least looked a chance at holding teams to a reasonable score.
Since Tom McDonald's come back to form after the bye they've looked like kicking a score. The Tigers have the luxury of Lynch to cover Jack.

The demons inside mids have been there all season but not at full fitness but the outside mids have been severely lacking. Fritsch has had to play back because the list doesn't have good half back cover and the backline injuries were huge to start the year. Vandenberg who's a super player has been out all year. Kade Kolodjashnij who was the main addition has been missing pretty much all year. Young Oskar Baker took a while to break in to the side because he also missed all preseason recovering from 2 hammies last year. Even a depth option like Billy Stretch got injured.

Richmond were a flag winning and top team quality list. Melbourne were a team that struggle to make the 8 for long parts last year. The Tigers had exactly this kind of season - both to start 2014 and in 2016. It takes a long time and a lot of good decisions to take a list from horrible to solid as Melbourne's is now and Richmond's was in 2013-2016 to then make that jump to contender. Melbourne have a handy best 15-20 players and some development prospects, that was the focus of the rebuild but it's going to take more excellent trading, drafting and development to fill out the missing pieces in the side and find the depth.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
You’re trying to argue that the drugs Goodwin was injecting were not performance enhancing because he wasn’t a player. You need to understand , the drug was a performance enhancing drug as classified by by WADA.

You’re defending the indefensible. Goodwin as assistant coach was injecting himself with the good stuff whilst also condoning the use of the players under his stewardship as pin cushions.

Please stop.

Where have a tried to defend him? Show me, quote me where.

Also, where did I insult you?

Also, you still haven't answered my first question.

You just make things up as you go along, you're completely incapable of having a straight conversation, what a complete waste of time

The thread is about why Melbourne isn’t doing so well on the field. It’s not about any off field ASADA related stuff that you can discuss in the relevant board dedicated to that.

Move on

Tap Tap Tapperoo

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m pretty critical of Goodwin in general, including our game plan and the lack of balance of inside v outside.

But this year has just been a mare on every front. Saying he has a free pass is an overstatement, but there are certainly a few contributing factors.

If we are struggling mid way of next season there will rightly be some serious heat, and I’ll be leading the charge, pitchfork in hand.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Should be axing him this year. Once 6-6-6 came in, he looks lost. 8 off the back of the square was his move, now he can't play it.
Melbourne stopped playing 8 off the back of the square for finals last year after tweaking the midfield set ups, it was a move to control the tempo of the game out of centre bounces, that's it. Gawn and the mids could be super aggressive with the hit outs because they had 2 spare covering. It only ever mattered for the first 30 seconds post bounce.

I guess if Goodwin is axed then Bevo has to be too? Because if Fritsch didn't miss a sitter it's a 3 point ball game with 90 seconds left that could go either way. Not bad for a Demons side without their best/only 3 key forwards, with 2 important defenders clearly underdone and a stack of injuries all season playing at the Dogs home ground.

Good on the Dogs for winning the flag whilst the Demons only made a Prelim last year but I would've thought a Dogs fan would understand a good young side can become mediocre pretty quickly if things go against them. Doesn't mean the coach is the problem.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lose next week (which we will) and if Carlton beat Gold Coast, then we are second last. It’s a hole hard to get out of. Absolutely nothing will happen this year, and I’d say we’d be very active find trade period, offering up whatever top 5 pick we get for someone decent or packaging it with a player for 2 players back. Brayshaw and Petracca obviously have been mentioned.

We need to acquire a genuine A grade midfielder, and we need a fully fit list. A new strength and conditioning coach will help, because our current one isn’t up to it. The game plan needs serious work, and our disposal needs serious work. Some smart positioning changes will help, I.e Salem to a wing and Fritsch to a permanent HF role. Harrison Petty showed a lot today, so hopefully that puts pressure on Weidemann which in turn helps him, but basically anyone is up for trade bar a select few I feel.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. Richmond are just better. Deeper list. More established game plan. More mature senior players. More gun kids ie. Stack (and Ross).

But...

2. When Richmond were without both key defenders, a couple of starting mids and Riewoldt they didn't look like winning.

With Astbury: 9-3
Without Astbury: 0-3 absolutely spanked by Dogs, Cats and Crows.

Since Steve May has come in to the Melbourne side the Demons have at least looked a chance at holding teams to a reasonable score.
Since Tom McDonald's come back to form after the bye they've looked like kicking a score. The Tigers have the luxury of Lynch to cover Jack.

The demons inside mids have been there all season but not at full fitness but the outside mids have been severely lacking. Fritsch has had to play back because the list doesn't have good half back cover and the backline injuries were huge to start the year. Vandenberg who's a super player has been out all year. Kade Kolodjashnij who was the main addition has been missing pretty much all year. Young Oskar Baker took a while to break in to the side because he also missed all preseason recovering from 2 hammies last year. Even a depth option like Billy Stretch got injured.

Richmond were a flag winning and top team quality list. Melbourne were a team that struggle to make the 8 for long parts last year. The Tigers had exactly this kind of season - both to start 2014 and in 2016. It takes a long time and a lot of good decisions to take a list from horrible to solid as Melbourne's is now and Richmond's was in 2013-2016 to then make that jump to contender. Melbourne have a handy best 15-20 players and some development prospects, that was the focus of the rebuild but it's going to take more excellent trading, drafting and development to fill out the missing pieces in the side and find the depth.

Every side has guys like Baker and Stretch injured. Kolodjashnij being some important 'main addition' is nice revisionism, considering without a full season since 2016 due to ongoing issues he was steak knives.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Great to see the fraud shown up for what he is. Media won’t attack him because he is a disciple of Roos and so is above reproach.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
May looked ordinary today. Would you still chase him if the option came up again? Can see it with Lever but his closing speed and ability to read the ball and peel off was really noticeable live he will be huge next year and I hope his body holds up

Back