Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

STATE OF ORIGIN BREAKS RECORDS

2019 SERIES OVERVIEW

BROADCAST

• 9.537 million Australians tuned in to Nine’s broadcast of the 2019 Holden State of Origin series (National cume reach)
  • Games I, II and III are the three most watched programs to date in 2019 (National average audience)

GAME I - National average audience: 3.207 million

• 5 City Metro average audience: 2.178 million
  • Regional average audience: 1.029 million

GAME II - National average audience: 2.799 million

• 5 City Metro average audience: 1.960 million
  • Regional average audience: 840,000

GAME III - National average audience: 2.889 million

• 5 City Metro average audience: 2.002 million
  • Regional average audience: 887,000

9NOW STREAMING

2019 SERIES:

• Average VPM of 84,000 up 78% on the 2018 series
  • Total streams of 1.9 million up 194% on the 2018 series
  • Total Minutes of 28.6 million up 83% on the 2018 series

GAME III:

• Average Live VPM of 96,000 up 159% on Game III 2018
  • Live Streams of 533,000 up 324% on Game III 2018
  • Total Minutes of 10.7 million up 189% on Game III 2018
  • State of Origin Game III achieved a Live VPM rating of 96,000 – this is the highest Live VPM rating across all networks to date in 2019

SOCIAL MEDIA & WWOS

• WWOS.com.au achieved 3.870 million page views for Origin content, up 73% year-on-year
  • Origin content on WWOS social media channels reached a combined total of 5.2 million people
  • Origin content on WWOS social media channels received a combined 2.712 million user engagements
  • Origin video content on WWOS social media channels received a combined 3.840 million views

Source; 9PR email

From a much lower average dont forget!The other NRL clubs playing out of Bankwest are not doing as well as the local team.

Poor findy.

I think you must be the only person who cares how much the West Tigers average at Parramatta's home ground.

Man Utd 50k @ Optus - Tourism WA will be pleased.

Actually I highly doubt they'd be pleased with that. The states fork out many millions for these matches on the basis that there'll be this massive influx of interstate and international visitors

Not selling out is not good

Poor findy.

I think you must be the only person who cares how much the West Tigers average at Parramatta's home ground.
I'm kinda hoping that the low avg helps the Tigers decide not to play there anymore.

With the upgrades planned for Campbelltown since Macarthur is coming into the A-league, it's the perfect time to announce they will play all their games there(bar a back to Leichhardt against South's possibly).

Actually I highly doubt they'd be pleased with that. The states fork out many millions for these matches on the basis that there'll be this massive influx of interstate and international visitors

Not selling out is not good

21k tourists makes Tourism WA happy. Not quite the negative you paint, ie the same old ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

21k tourists makes Tourism WA happy. Not quite the negative you paint, ie the same old ...
Problem is, for us taxpayers, we never know if it was a good deal or not. The financials for all these games - whether it's AFL in Tassie, SoG, pretend soccer games - are covered by secrecy clauses. They could be absolute money pits with sporting clubs ripping off gullible rubes, but we will never know. I suspect the public is weary of these big soccer clubs having a kick around for big bucks. And the stupid basketball game next month appears to be nothing more than a con, aided and abetted by news ltd.

Problem is, for us taxpayers, we never know if it was a good deal or not. The financials for all these games - whether it's AFL in Tassie, SoG, pretend soccer games - are covered by secrecy clauses. They could be absolute money pits with sporting clubs ripping off gullible rubes, but we will never know. I suspect the public is weary of these big soccer clubs having a kick around for big bucks. And the stupid basketball game next month appears to be nothing more than a con, aided and abetted by news ltd.

The thing is that they are all in to it, e.g didnt Vic try & white ant the Man Utd game.
I've always been keen to see any numbers for AFL club fans travelling, never seen anything conclusive.
Tourism WA had a big say in the new Perth stadium, hence my reference to them.

Here is a reference to the V8s in Adelaide, same dance, different step.

Last edited:
As i posted elsewhere,the 15000 for SoO would have required like an additional 30 extra flights. Just dont think it happened.

Frustrating that the media dont delve a bit, maybe dont bite the hand that feeds them.
I'm a motorsport afficionardo and the way that sport milks the public purse internationally never ceases to amaze me - Tony Cochrane was an expert.

As i posted elsewhere,the 15000 for SoO would have required like an additional 30 extra flights. Just dont think it happened.
If 20K flew in to watch Man U, then that means only 30K locals went to the game. If you told me 3k people flew to Perth specifically for the game, I would have been more accepting. Who would fly to Perth to watch Man U seconds beat Glory seconds. It doesn't make any sense. Both my kids watch soccer, and neither bothered with the game.

If 20K flew in to watch Man U, then that means only 30K locals went to the game. If you told me 3k people flew to Perth specifically for the game, I would have been more accepting. Who would fly to Perth to watch Man U seconds beat Glory seconds. It doesn't make any sense. Both my kids watch soccer, and neither bothered with the game.
fans who have never seen Man Utd play and the die-hard fanboys who travel everywhere. I had a friend who travelled from Tassie to Sydney to watch Arsenal last year, as he had never seen them live.

I haven't watched one of these friendlies for years personally. There have been ads from a hotel selling this game on the tellie and meeting the players etc, so it must have been a disappointment. Reckon these friendlies have diminishing returns, as they become more common.

I haven't watched one of these friendlies for years personally. There have been ads from a hotel selling this game on the tellie and meeting the players etc, so it must have been a disappointment. Reckon these friendlies have diminishing returns, as they become more common.
Yes and no. If its Man U every year or every second year then I agree.

But if its different teams ie Juventus, AC Milan, Liverpool, Man U, Bayern, Real Madrid etc get rotated around so the die hard fans of that club only see them once every 7 to 10 years in Oz, then they will rock up. The corporates areas will be full and get still get sold out, because someone else is paying. The general soccer fans and marginal soccer/sports fans will also rock up if its their once a decade chance to see a Messi, Ronaldo etc

Last edited:
Final Round 17 ratings - something for everyone.

AFL 3.627m @ 403,000 per match
NRL 3.021m @ 378,000 per match

AFL YTD - Season Only - 69.17m @ 480,000 per match (144 games)
NRL YTD - Season Only - 60.19m @ 470,000 per match (128 games)
NRL TYD - Season+Rep - 70.83m @ 521,000 per match (136 games)

Average AFL lead for a full 9 match round over a full 8 match round of NRL - 402,000 per round.

AFL YTD - Full 2019 Yr - 75.39m @ 375,000 per match (201 games)
NRL YTD - Full 2019 Yr - 71.53m @ 515,000 per match (139 games)

Canterbury Cup YTD - 496,000 @ 29,000 per match (17 games)
IntrustSupr Cup YTD - 286,000 @ 18,000 per match (16 games)

SANFL YTD - 388,000 @ 26,000 per match (15 games)
WAFL YTD - 306,000 @ 31,000 per match (10 games)
VFL YTD - 595,000 @ 40,000 per match (15 games)

How many direct flights out of Townsville, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney were scheduled say for the week 4

Yes and no. If its Man U every year or every second year then I agree.

But if its different teams ie Juventus, AC Milan, Liverpool, Man U, Bayern, Real Madrid etc get rotated around so the die hard fans of that club only see them once every 7 to 10 years in Oz, then they will rock up. The corporates areas will be full and get still get sold out, because someone else is paying. The general soccer fans and marginal soccer/sports fans will also rock up if its their once a decade chance to see a Messi, Ronaldo etc
I am sure that's true for some, but is it true for enough to justify it as a long term strategy? Myself, I wouldn't know Pogba from Adam, but my kids, who both played, certainly do. Not only didn't they go, neither even watched on TV. Youngest son (17), actually watched a few minutes, then went and studied (it's school holidays).

Seeing Pogba in the flesh, going at half pace in a game that doesn't matter might excite the real diehards, but most casual soccer fans I know would much prefer a real match with real consequences on TV.

As for Messi, good chance he doesn't play, and if the millions paid for them to come stipulate he does, then it's probably less than a half. Most people expect that.

We do not see Man U or Real. We see Man U and Real lite.

There are a lot of soccer fans in Perth, and apparently 20k people travelled to be here, and they still got no more than a decent Dockers crowd.

Admittedly, tomorrow's game is the main draw, but I doubt they can do this more than 3 or 4 times before a noticeable drop off. Not without giving it several years between games.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I am sure that's true for some, but is it true for enough to justify it as a long term strategy? Myself, I wouldn't know Pogba from Adam, but my kids, who both played, certainly do. Not only didn't they go, neither even watched on TV. Youngest son (17), actually watched a few minutes, then went and studied (it's school holidays).

Seeing Pogba in the flesh, going at half pace in a game that doesn't matter might excite the real diehards, but most casual soccer fans I know would much prefer a real match with real consequences on TV.

As for Messi, good chance he doesn't play, and if the millions paid for them to come stipulate he does, then it's probably less than a half. Most people expect that.

We do not see Man U or Real. We see Man U and Real lite.

There are a lot of soccer fans in Perth, and apparently 20k people travelled to be here, and they still got no more than a decent Dockers crowd.

Admittedly, tomorrow's game is the main draw, but I doubt they can do this more than 3 or 4 times before a noticeable drop off. Not without giving it several years between games.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Liverpool likely next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back