Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
I hear ya.......I've had him in Fantasy all year, his couple of good scores a few weeks back made me think that Goodwin had finally seen the light and was playing him as an 'inside/outside' mid....but noooo, the dumb fu** put him back on the wing where he has no impact. So yeah, moved him on in that format this week too.
I think im actually going to do Brayshaw to Quaynor via Worpel and Nutting. Then i can bank 300k.

Quaynor will be B7, Worpel M8 and Chol F6. Backline injury means i use Quaynor as cover. Forward injury to Kelly/Danger and i swing them to midfield and use Worpel as cover (and Rowbottom/Clarke in the mids). Forward injury to Boak/Marshall/Daniel is worst case scenario which means i will trade Quaynor to a gun fwd via Nutting/Gardner. No injury means that i trade either Chol or Quaynor to a gun mid in finals and swing Worpel to F6. Midfield injury means i use Rowbottom/Clarke as cover.

If Daniel is not back this round - and im expecting him to miss - i will have Chol at F5 and will cop a zero at F6. However, im actually happy to take the zero as i think with this trade to Quaynor i open up the most options for trading during finals and since im going for a cash league win i am happy enough to lose this round if it means i can enhance my chances of winning in the finals. Lots to think about

Last edited:

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
If you're going down that path, would it be worthwhile trading to a Silvagni type who you can swing Fwd with Gardner to cover Daniel?

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
If you're going down that path, would it be worthwhile trading to a Silvagni type who you can swing Fwd with Gardner to cover Daniel?
I've thought about silvagni but he is a bit expensive. I am thinking about Birchall actually. 250k leftover if i go for Birch

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
Nothing wrong with that if he stays on the park, was more thinking of Mid/Fwd cover
I like Rowbottom to cover mids. Forwards can be covered by either worpel or a trade of birchall/another back (if injured). I am relying on Chol to hold his spot for a little while though

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I like Rowbottom to cover mids. Forwards can be covered by either worpel or a trade of birchall/another back (if injured). I am relying on Chol to hold his spot for a little while though
sorry, meant Fwd/Def cover

If Silvagni at D7 you could move him Fwd via Gardner (who I assume is on your Fwd bench) to cover Daniel and save yourself a donut if he's out this week?

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
sorry, meant Fwd/Def cover

If Silvagni at D7 you could move him Fwd via Gardner (who I assume is on your Fwd bench) to cover Daniel and save yourself a donut if he's out this week?
That is a legitimate option. Looking at his recent scoring it suggests that he may be a handy addition. I will have about 140k leftover if I grab him so i would hope that he would make a fair amount of cash. The added flexibility and coverage may be beneficial but i am forfeiting my opportunity to get someone like Birchall who will prob ably make a fair bit more money than Silvagni. I'll have to have a think. Last round i actually though about doing Brayshaw to Darcy Moore for coverage purposes and jeez im glad i didnt pull the trigger on that. I have even thought of getting someone like Zac Fisher as a M/F cover but ultimately i think a D/F suits my team better.

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
What the crazys see...

Being a Noob, I've heard on other forums of the Slingshot move but haven't heard or seen any mention of it here so I thought I'd start a convo (not worthy of a thread:$) so some of you more experienced kentlemen could share your views.

I might be wrong but I think it's when you trade a 'premo' down to a rook that looks like he might have long term JS and scoring potential, which releases a bucket of cash to finance upgrades that couldn't be made earlier due to waiting for rooks to Max out.

I posted in the 'Vents & regrets' thread about trading McEvoy > RO'B in rnd 5 for a 400k cash grab which financed 4 extra upgrades before the byes. I think that's one of the reasons I was able to gain over 10k places over the byes and improve my ranking from 56k in rnd 5 to 718 in rnd 16.

In hindsight I'm sure that there's other moves that could have been done. Using my team as an example, I started with Mills and the Hoff, a smart move for me should have been trading Mills > Stack and banked 300k and the Hoff to someone like Baker/Ross/Miers and banked another 400k rather than just 'sideways' moves. Then used that cash for the guys that had clear role changes or weren't available in the starting few rounds eg; Gaff after rnd 3 and Dunkley after he tonned up in rnds 7 & 8.

Just my thoughts, but I think it's a strategy that's worth discussing. I'll obviously get told if it's not.
Interesting.

Might be worth me trying next year. LOL
I'm tempted by Brayshaw -> Hately (if in for Cogs) as i'd have over 200k left in the kitty for my last couple trades. In fact i'd probably go down to J.Cameron as West Coast have a great draw to end the season and his M/F DPP is pretty useful.
Would have been good to do that 10 rounds ago (hindsight is a wonderful thing) but still has merit....
Haha....thought this would pique your interest.....but realistically, do you think it would have worked with Roughead if you downgraded to a performing rook who would have made you cash while Roughy dropped cash? Then got Roughy back in? I've been told that a trade is worth 150k so for me this year I could have traded (and really wanted to) Dunkley to Stack in round 3 saved 150k on Dunkley's losses gained 200k on Stack for a similar output and banked a bucket load of cash. Then got Dunkley back in round 8 after his obvious role change (has averaged 129 since round 6) The thing that held me back is the strong belief that you "don't trade premos"
Yeah absolutely, i kept convincing myself that i had 'other issues' and the fact that in the past ive been a big fan of how Brayshaw goes about it so ive kept him. After this weekend i honestly cant stand to see him in my team anymore and with some decent mid rookies in Clarke and Rowbottom scoring higher than him i think its better to pull the trigger now and trade in a decent rookie like Cameron than to wait and see him drop another 50k+. He's been played out of position, he is low on confidence and his fitness level seems to be well below what it should be. For the calibre of player he is, he has had an absolute shocker of a season. I may well risk him next year but for now, i just want him out!
I hear ya.......I've had him in Fantasy all year, his couple of good scores a few weeks back made me think that Goodwin had finally seen the light and was playing him as an 'inside/outside' mid....but noooo, the dumb fu** put him back on the wing where he has no impact. So yeah, moved him on in that format this week too.
I'd do it with an underperforming premo or premo playing out of position .ie. Dunkley in the early rounds. Will certainly look at this in the early rounds next year.

Could be a new modification to the Roughy move. LOL.
Yeah, I reckon most coaches leave 3-4 trades for corrections in the early rounds. The maximum amount of 'slingshots' I think would be limited to 3. But I do like the idea of having a few more rooks early to really get the cash flowing. So I guess trading out 3 early to rooks means 12 upgrades later, but with potentially 1200k war chest to start with.....food for thought

What I see...

giphy(3).gif

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah, I reckon most coaches leave 3-4 trades for corrections in the early rounds. The maximum amount of 'slingshots' I think would be limited to 3. But I do like the idea of having a few more rooks early to really get the cash flowing. So I guess trading out 3 early to rooks means 12 upgrades later, but with potentially 1200k war chest to start with.....food for thought

Or you just start with 300k in the bank like I do every year to finance the first one or two upgrades without burning multiple trades downgrading premo's for upgrade cash.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Or you just start with 300k in the bank like I do every year to finance the first one or two upgrades without burning multiple trades downgrading premo's for upgrade cash.
Yes, that's smart. I know I'm gonna cop a bit of derision for my views on this but I think it's a legitimate strategy and I'm willing to change my views if someone can point out the deficiencies.

Yes, that's smart. I know I'm gonna cop a bit of derision for my views on this but I think it's a legitimate strategy and I'm willing to change my views if someone can point out the deficiencies.

Sorry to burst ur bubble buf its not something groundbreaking. A bunch did it with ROB this year that didnt gave a strong r2. 1 even traded gawn to ROB.

I did it this year with dusty to rozee.

Pretty sure I downgraded Hibberd last year also to upgrade elsewhere also.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry to burst ur bubble buf its not something groundbreaking. A bunch did it with ROB this year that didnt gave a strong r2. 1 even traded gawn to ROB.

I did it this year with dusty to rozee.

Pretty sure I downgraded Hibberd last year also to upgrade elsewhere also.
Yeah, I know, but it doesn't get talked about much at all, I'm trying to learn about this game and the more info I have at my disposal then the more confused I'll become:)

Yeah, I know, but it doesn't get talked about much at all, I'm trying to learn about this game and the more info I have at my disposal then the more confused I'll become:)

Learn this. The game is a waste of time do something better with it.

Has anyone here ever finished inside the top 1k in all 3 formats (SC, AF & DT) two years in a row? If I can finish strong in AFL Fantasy I might be half a chance. :think:

Has anyone ever deleted their team while ranked 3k??

Feb 4, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets!
Has anyone here ever finished inside the top 1k in all 3 formats (SC, AF & DT) two years in a row? If I can finish strong in AFL Fantasy I might be half a chance. :think:
Quit waving your Mod Shlong around AB!
....some of us are having real trouble just in SC!:(

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Quit waving your Mod Shlong around AB!
....some of us are having real trouble just in SC!:(

That's why I play all 3 formats, if I'm having a bad round/season in one format, I focus on my team in one of the other formats that I'm not stinking it up in. :) Last year when my SC team started tanking in the last 4 rounds, my AF team was coming home strong. Made the SC pain somewhat bearable. :rainbow:

Mar 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Supercoach GRIM REAPER!!!!!
That's why I play all 3 formats, if I'm having a bad round/season in one format, I focus on my team in one of the other formats that I'm not stinking it up in. :) Last year when my SC team started tanking in the last 4 rounds, my AF team was coming home strong. Made the SC pain somewhat bearable. :rainbow:

I might have to do the same next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back