Tiger Family World Cup Cricket Chat (Opposition Welcome)

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Two is fine as it is one over from each end. Was surprised the ICC transferred the T20 super over rules over to ODI's.

The stats that matter:

No matter which team won it was going to contain the first New Zealander to win a World Cup.

No matter which team won it was going to contain the first African to win a World Cup.

I texted both Jos Butler and Chris Woakes after the match to congratulate them on being the only English players to ever win a World Cup.

I texted Joe Root to congratulate him on being the first Yorkshireman to ever win a World Cup, and for beating fellow Yorky Geoff Boycott's record for slow scoring in a WC final by compiling a stylish 7, off 30 deliveries.

I texted Mark Wood and Liam Plunkett to congratulate them on being the first Geordie speaking winners of the World Cup.

England had 10 member nations off the ICC cheering them on to World Cup glory, after all, they were all being represented in the victorious team.

Congratulations to England for being the first franchise to win a World Cup.

Congratulations to England for being the first team to win a World Cup without winning a World Cup final.

Congratulations to Ben Stokes for inventing a new shot that won his team the World Cup....the sprawling overthrow deflector.

Congratulations to England for being the first team to win a World Cup due to a single act of disgracefully bad sportsmanship.

Congratulations to Ben Stokes, who according to commentator Ian Smith became the first man to win a World Cup with mental fatigue on his face. Whatever mental fatigue on your face is.

Congratulations to the ICC for creating the most fake drama in any world event in any sport ever recorded.

Congratulations to the 10 teams who played in the World Cup for providing the most mixed up form of any World Cup yet played. There were more examples of team A beats team B and then team B beats team A, or team A beats team B then team B beats team C but wait a minute, team C magically beats team A than all previous World Cups combined. This was of course because in this particular World Cup the teams were "so even" and "any team could beat any other team on ""any given day"" ." None of the semi finals or the final was won by a team who had beaten their opponent in the round robin stage, whatever a round robin stage is. There was even an example of team A smashes team B(England over South Africa by 104 runs) who beats team C(South Africa over Australia by 10 runs) who beats team D(Australia over Pakistan by 41 runs) who beats team E(Pakistan over New Zealand by 6 wickets with 5 balls to spare) who marmalises team F(New Zealand over Sri Lanka by 10 wickets with no less than 203 balls to spare) who then magically beats team A(Sri Lanka over England by 20 runs in one of the most perplexingly stupendous 175 runs +16 wickets + 208 balls to spare form reversals ever seen outside of the IPL...wait a minute, did I just say outside the IPL?). Don't worry though, all is not lost, we can gain reassurance from the fact team A went on to recover from this egregious form reversal and tie a final and super over tie breaker with team E, thus naturally winning the whole thing.

Congratulations to Jason Roy for being "the difference" that turned England's World Cup around. It was, apparently, your strut, your self belief, your lack of previous mental scarring, your lack of fear, that turned England from lowly Sri Lanka's b1tches to World Cup winners in a matter of three weeks.

Congratulations to the army of cricket fans world wide for your loyalty to this very strange sport.

Congratulations to the ICC for disinviting the known corruptors from the World Cup and asking any that you saw there to leave immediately, thank god you can't communicate with cricketers without approaching them in a hotel lobby in full view of the ICC's small army of extremely diligent anti-corruption staff. Thank god the sport is in such safe hands.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
The stats that matter:

No matter which team won it was going to contain the first New Zealander to win a World Cup.

No matter which team won it was going to contain the first African to win a World Cup.

I texted both Jos Butler and Chris Woakes after the match to congratulate them on being the only English players to ever win a World Cup.

I texted Joe Root to congratulate him on being the first Yorkshireman to ever win a World Cup, and for beating fellow Yorky Geoff Boycott's record for slow scoring in a WC final by compiling a stylish 7, off 30 deliveries.

I texted Mark Wood and Liam Plunkett to congratulate them on being the first Geordie speaking winners of the World Cup.

England had 10 member nations off the ICC cheering them on to World Cup glory, after all, they were all being represented in the victorious team.

Congratulations to England for being the first team to win a World Cup without winning a World Cup final.

Congratulations to Ben Stokes for inventing a new shot that won his team the World Cup....the sprawling overthrow deflector.

Congratulations to England for being the first team to win a World Cup due to a single act of disgracefully bad sportsmanship.

Congratulations to Ben Stokes, who according to commentator Ian Smith became the first man to win a World Cup with mental fatigue on his face. Whatever mental fatigue on your face is.

Congratulations to the ICC for creating the most fake drama in any world event in any sport ever recorded.

Congratulations to the 10 teams who played in the World Cup for providing the most mixed up form of any World Cup yet played. There were more examples of team A beats team B and then team B beats team A, or team A beats team B then team B beats team C but wait a minute, team C magically beats team A than all previous World Cups combined. This was of course because in this particular World Cup the teams were "so even" and "any team could beat any other team on ""any given day"" ." None of the semi finals or the final was won by a team who had beaten their opponent in the round robin stage, whatever a round robin stage is. There was even an example of team A smashes team B(England over South Africa by 104 runs) who beats team C(South Africa over Australia by 10 runs) who beats team D(Australia over Pakistan by 41 runs) who beats team E(Pakistan over New Zealand by 6 wickets with 5 balls to spare) who marmalises team F(New Zealand over Sri Lanka by 10 wickets with no less than 203 balls to spare) who then magically beats team A(Sri Lanka over England by 20 runs in one of the most perplexingly stupendous 175 runs +16 wickets + 208 balls to spare form reversals ever seen outside of the IPL...wait a minute, did I just say outside the IPL?). Don't worry though, all is not lost, we can gain reassurance from the fact team A went on to recover from this egregious form reversal and tie a final and super over tie breaker with team E, thus naturally winning the whole thing.

Congratulations to Jason Roy for being "the difference" that turned England's World Cup around. It was, apparently, your strut, your self belief, your lack of previous mental scarring, your lack of fear, that turned England from lowly Sri Lanka's b1tches to World Cup winners in a matter of three weeks.

Congratulations to the army of cricket fans world wide for your loyalty to this very strange sport.

Congratulations to the ICC for disinviting the known corruptors from the World Cup and asking any that you saw there to leave immediately, thank god you can't communicate with cricketers without approaching them in a hotel lobby in full view of the ICC's small army of extremely diligent anti-corruption staff. Thank god the sport is in such safe hands.
Bitter much, maybe cricket isn't your thing.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
The stats that matter:

Yeah dunno why the NZ fielder would throw the ball at Stokes' bat instead of the stumps. Clear case of match fixing!

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Bitter much, maybe cricket isn't your thing.

Well I played in three cricket matches this week, trained a group of 8 and 9 year olds in the finer points of being 8 and 9 year old cricketers(little animals!). Taught a 13 year old how to score, after helping him correct his bowling alignment. Showed a 61 year old how to throw a cricket ball properly and watched with great pride while he got his first ever runout. I am in the UK largely for cricketing purposes. The sport has opened up so many doors for me I am truly grateful, and I love it. I am just saying what I am seeing from the pretty well informed perspective that I have. Of course I could give you a regurgitation of all the received wisdoms regarding the state of professional cricket, but then if I did that I just wouldn't be me. :)

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
The stats that matter:

Suck on this...

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

I celebrated the World Cup win hard with a bunch of England fans last night over here. I had to, as none of them knew what to do, so they needed my vast World Cup win celebration experience. I congratulate you TIA on your franchise's single sole solitary World Cup win. Apparently Cricket Australia is saving up for a new trophy cabinet given the one we have is bursting at the seams, your World Cup trophy will look good next to your couple of Ranatunga-Gatting Trophies or whatever scraps you have in there. :cool:

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I celebrated the World Cup win hard with a bunch of England fans last night over here. I had to, as none of them knew what to do, so they needed my vast World Cup win celebration experience. I congratulate you TIA on your franchise's single sole solitary World Cup win. Apparently Cricket Australia is saving up for a new trophy cabinet given the one we have is bursting at the seams, your World Cup trophy will look good next to your couple of Ranatunga-Gatting Trophies or whatever scraps you have in there. :cool:
Lol! If you use that logic, Leicester City fans shouldn't have bothered celebrating their title as they don't have as many trophies as Man Utd or Liverpool.
You're only as good as your last World Cup win.

Work to do for Australia,really disappointed in Maxwell’s batting performance,thought he would take this tournament by the scruff of the neck but made some silly mental brain fade decisions instead of playing for what was required at the time.

Bowling stocks looked weak especially with Richardson out injured,I liked Behrendorrf though and Starc,Cummins of course,need a spinner to fill Lyon’s shoes when he retires,I still feel there is plenty more years of international cricket left for the goat ,Zampa may be better suited to the 5 day stuff brcause he got carted a few times in the WC.

Carey was the bright spark of the WC for Australia,really classy batsman,will provide a thorn for the poms in the Ashes series.

Have to admit I was nervous about Finch before the semi,still has issues at the very start of an innings.

Handscomb was a shocker of a selection,looked absolutely out of his depth,Wade should have been selected but the boy’s club refused too.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol! If you use that logic, Leicester City fans shouldn't have bothered celebrating their title as they don't have as many trophies as Man Utd or Liverpool.
You're only as good as your last World Cup win.

Your post criticising my logic makes no sense itself, which is quite an achievement, but I guess you have had a big 24 hours. I am hardly going to show a bunch of poms how to celebrate a World Cup win if I don't think they should be bothered celebrating now am I. :drunk:

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Your post criticising my logic makes no sense itself, which is quite an achievement, but I guess you have had a big 24 hours. I am hardly going to show a bunch of poms how to celebrate a World Cup win if I don't think they should be bothered celebrating now am I. :drunk:
Fair point, however, my reply was more in response to your belittling of the achievement, which is why I highlighted that portion of your post.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Fair point, however, my reply was more in response to your belittling of the achievement, which is why I highlighted that portion of your post.

Bloody hell TIA, like a very high proportion of the upstanding people on this planet, I am Australian, so it is my job to make good natured fun of anything England achieves in cricket. You would surely be disappointed if I did otherwise. Enjoy your World Cup victory and carry on dreaming about maybe one day your franchise winning a World Cup final, most of the world will be barracking for you. After all, most of the world plays for you. :);)

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bloody hell TIA, like a very high proportion of the upstanding people on this planet, I am Australian, so it is my job to make good natured fun of anything England achieves in cricket. You would surely be disappointed if I did otherwise. Enjoy your World Cup victory and carry on dreaming about maybe one day your franchise winning a World Cup final, most of the world will be barracking for you. After all, most of the world plays for you. :);)
Ah! Sorry about that, I think that the good natured tone of your post got lost in the sheer volume of words... I'll go back and look for it.
All good.

Back